AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Bravo D1 and the Samsung DVI( so many problems it is pitiful). My latest Results- These 2002 Pannys non DVIs play every DVD with outstanding resolution. The DVIs play well at times but also play certain DVDs very poorly. DVI recorders are not there yet- I guarantee you. I am waiting to see what the New Panny 97 released in May 2004 does. Trust me this DVI technology is NOT there yet. Very Flackey. And these people who are saying it is Holy Grail great are full of it. You should see our XP-30s, 50s playing your DVDs- You have No Idea. (These people with DVI players never have seen a Panny XP-30,50 or RP82 in motion). They are usually shooting blanks.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
The DVI technology is the best way so far to get a digital signal into a digital display. Period.

I will agree that the current implimentation of DVI via the D1 & Samsung sucks from a ergonomic standpoint. But I have a Sony 9000ES, which is a standard as far as performance goes, and when everything is right, the D1's picture is superior in every way to the $1500 Sony. Period.

·
Registered
634 Posts
There are several guys here who have had an RP91 who have preferred a DVI player for their projectors. I only remember the RP91 owners I'm sure there are some XP-30 or 50 owners as well.

·
23,039 Posts
The D1s and 931s issues have nothing to do with DVI. DVI technology

itself is quite "solid" and is a good way to pump a ton of video bandwith

digitally between two points. What happens on either end is not

a DVI issue.

I use a D1 and my XP30 is sitting unplugged in the other room. Both

players deliver great PQ, the D1 just slightly better in my case - most

likely due to DVI into my display.

larry

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have had a Panasonic RP82 for a little over a year now and last month I picked up a Samsung HD 931 and connected it to my Toshiba 57 HDX82 via DVI cable. At this point in time I have returned the Samsung and am sticking with the Panasonic until something better comes along.

My impressions with the Samsung HD 931 were as follows:

The Samsung provided an image that was slightly more detailed although in many instances it did not necessarily seem natural. The increased detail was not consistent across all the DVDs I tried but it was evident in most of the newer releases I tried.

However, the image as a whole was not up to par in comparison to the Panasonic RP82. The Samsung faired very poorly in dark scenes (this has been documented by many as the Samsung uses PC standard not video standard for DVI and does not pass PLUGE). Personally, I would trade the slight increased detail the Samsung offers for the exceptional image quality the Panasonic offers in dark scenes.

By far the biggest problem I had with the Samsung was the excessive grain it added to the picture. Originally I suspected that the increased resolution was just making film grain more noticeable but grain was even visible in movies such as Monsters Inc. and ATOC which were not shot on film at all.

The Samsung also exhibited some aliasing issues in scenes where the Panasonic did not.

Overall I concluded that the Panasonic offered the better overall image and exhibited no PQ problems. The small increase in detail offered by the Samsung on some DVDs was not enough to justify giving up quality in so many other aspects of PQ. This combined with the fact that the Panasonic RP82 has a much more comprehensive feature (including DVD-A) rendered the Samsung HD 931 the clear loser.

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonGuy
I have the Bravo D1 and the Samsung DVI( so many problems it is pitiful). My latest Results- These 2002 Pannys non DVIs play every DVD with outstanding resolution. The DVIs play well at times but also play certain DVDs very poorly. DVI recorders are not there yet- I guarantee you. I am waiting to see what the New Panny 97 released in May 2004 does. Trust me this DVI technology is NOT there yet. Very Flackey. And these people who are saying it is Holy Grail great are full of it. You should see our XP-30s, 50s playing your DVDs- You have No Idea. (These people with DVI players never have seen a Panny XP-30,50 or RP82 in motion). They are usually shooting blanks.
First of all, it's not recorder. None of the players you listed can record anything on to a DVD. Second, you didn't list what kind of TV you have. Just because you can't see and advantage of DVI on your TV doesn't mean someone else can't. To use your own language, you have no idea how other TVs can display through DVI. I won't say DVI is Holy Grail, but on paper, it's a better technology than any other analog technologies. Of course the actual results depend on both the DVD player and the TV.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Houston Guy,

You do a disservice to the forum by making blanket statements such as this, and Foxbat sums up why quite well. If you need extra reasoning, I own an RP56, an RP82 and a zero defects D1 (first batch too). Guess which one is feeding my HT1000 ? Yes, the D1. Does that mean that ALL DVD's look better on the D1 ? No. It simply means that in MY SETUP and for movie viewing, the D1 provides a noticeable better image than the Pannys. Is it night and day ? No, but quite enough to keep the D1 as my preferred source. BTW, it's ironic that you state "These people with DVI players never have seen a Panny XP-30,50 or RP82 in motion", but you base your entire position on a single DVI player (which is known to add it's own EE commentary to the signal).

·
Registered
418 Posts
I will just add that the Panasonic XP-30 has the second highest rated PQ of any DVD player second only to Denon 2900.

Looks like HoustonGuy had his expectations set way too high. Remember HG, no matter what DVD player you have, the source code on the DVD is only 480. When you add lines to make it 720 or 1080 or 2160 or whatever, the detail can only be as sharp as what is on the source.

Regards,

PolkThug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.