AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's another thread going on right now that asks what new TV shows you're anticipating this fall...? And I got to thinking there's probably half a dozen or more I might be interested in, but where's the time to watch them going to come from?


DVR's are wonderful pieces of technology. I have an SA8300HD-DVR with dual tuners and an 160 gb HDD that I consistently keep filled up and which my cable company basically gives me for free. I find I can now easily see every episode of my favorite shows, most of them in gorgeous HD. It's a wonderful thing.


However if you think about it, the DVR is also kind of a curse. It makes it easy to record every episode of not only shows you like, but also shows you think you might like if you could possibly find the time to watch them. Back when recording was limited to the stone-age technology of VCR's, it was a pain to record anything and you were naturally limited in the quantity of stuff you could time-shift. Now it's just too easy.


I have freedom, because I'm no longer tied to the networks' schedules. Screw 'em, I'm watching what I want, when I want. Durn tootin'.


But I'm also a slave to all the stuff I've packed on there. I've got to watch it all sometime, or else I'll wonder what I missed. And there's just not enough time, so that's creating stress. I haven't read a book since I got the dang thing. I love it and despise it at the same time. Liberated while trapped. Anybody else feel this way? Is there hope for us?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,407 Posts
Ditto.


I had been recording all the episodes of The Inside, so the wife and I could watch them together. We never got around to watching any of them before the show was cancelled, and I ended up just deleting them.


On the other hand, it's a really nice feeling to know that all those shows are just waiting there for you. It also allows you to watch a bunch of episodes back-to-back, which can be nice for heavily-sequential series.


Then again, I know that I've fallen into the trap of not being in the mood to watch a certain show, and just letting episode after episode accumulate on the DVR, creating a mountainous list of stuff that is almost too voluminous to tackle.


Yep, you're right. It's definitely a blessing/curse.


Scott
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
There's another thread going on right now that asks what new TV shows you're anticipating this fall...? And I got to thinking there's probably half a dozen or more I might be interested in, but where's the time to watch them going to come from?


DVR's are wonderful pieces of technology. I have an SA8300HD-DVR with dual tuners and an 160 gb HDD that I consistently keep filled up and which my cable company basically gives me for free. I find I can now easily see every episode of my favorite shows, most of them in gorgeous HD. It's a wonderful thing.


However if you think about it, the DVR is also kind of a curse. It makes it easy to record every episode of not only shows you like, but also shows you think you might like if you could possibly find the time to watch them. Back when recording was limited to the stone-age technology of VCR's, it was a pain to record anything and you were naturally limited in the quantity of stuff you could time-shift. Now it's just too easy.


I have freedom, because I'm no longer tied to the networks' schedules. Screw 'em, I'm watching what I want, when I want. Durn tootin'.


But I'm also a slave to all the stuff I've packed on there. I've got to watch it all sometime, or else I'll wonder what I missed. And there's just not enough time, so that's creating stress. I haven't read a book since I got the dang thing. I love it and despise it at the same time. Liberated while trapped. Anybody else feel this way? Is there hope for us?
I think you have two choices. Retire (perhaps requiring a major lottery win) and watch TV all day, or discuss this with a psychotherapist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,134 Posts
I've had my DVR for more than 5 years now and this has never really been a problem for me. I can't find that many shows that I'm interested in. I consider it a complete blessing, not a curse in any way shape or form.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts
There aren't that many shows out there that interest me so it's usually easy to find the time to watch what programs I do record. However I do think that OTA HD DVRs are a curse in that there aren't any available which can record two shows at once. A handy feature for those rare occassions when there are two interesting shows on at the same time. I hope that some company will step up to the plate, and soon, in this regard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
There's another thread going on right now that asks what new

I have freedom, because I'm no longer tied to the networks' schedules. Screw 'em, I'm watching what I want, when I want. Durn tootin'.


But I'm also a slave to all the stuff I've packed on there. I've got to watch it all sometime, or else I'll wonder what I missed. And there's just not enough time, so that's creating stress. I haven't read a book since I got the dang thing. I love it and despise it at the same time. Liberated while trapped. Anybody else feel this way? Is there hope for us?
Its a blessing, never a curse - finding shows you missed - having it find shows you did not know were out there etc.


No commercials - watch when you have time - etc.


Its the way things will be forever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,990 Posts
We have two Directv DVR's. One with 200 hour capacity and one with 100 hour capacity. We used to have 7 DVR's, but I switched to a distribution system instead so every TV in the house can access each DVR. Anyway, we have 37 season passes on one of the units and 22 on the other (about 12 of which are strictly kids shows for our son). That means there's 59 shows that we never miss an episode of. And we watch almost all of them (we'll sometimes delete the non-prime time stuff: Letterman, today show, sportscenter, etc.). Of course, these shows don't all run at the same time: Entourage, 4400, The Closer, etc. are first run currently, but most others don't start until September.

We find the time to watch them. Then again, with two very young kids and no babysitters or relatives we don't leave the house much in the evening, so we watch a lot of TV.




Stew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I personally don't have a DVR, but just about everyone I know has one. One thing that I hear from them is "I have to catch up on my TiVo/shows". Isn't TV supposed to be for entertainment? Hearing comments like that makes it sound like work. I guess society has gotten to the point where TV shows now have to be tended to, like housework, yardwork, bills...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vballer
I personally don't have a DVR, but just about everyone I know has one. One thing that I hear from them is "I have to catch up on my TiVo/shows". Isn't TV supposed to be for entertainment? Hearing comments like that makes it sound like work. I guess society has gotten to the point where TV shows now have to be tended to, like housework, yardwork, bills...
When your friends say that are they grimacing or smiling? My guess would be the latter.


IMO, as a non-DVR owner you're not in a position to gauge whether it's a chore or a pleasure. If one is selective, and there's far more on TV that I don't record than what I do, it shouldn't be a burden to use a DVR. The freedom to watch TV that I like on my schedule and to be able to do it without the ever expanding commercial breaks, up to 6 minutes now, is not a chore to me. Of course, I learned how to expand my TiVos so space isn't an issue and I have many daily shows set at "Keep At Most: 1" so that if I miss the Nightly News, so what! There's always a broadcast the next day.


People are slaves to technologies if they choose to be, and in that respect, I think far more people have a problem with cell phones than those with DVRs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Ditch cable - don't worry about finding the good shows. Let other people do that. When the good onces come out on DVD, then watch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
When I first got a Tivo, I would stress out about "staying-caught-up". But then I realized it was pointless. Now, there are certain shows where I never miss an episode. (The Shield, 24) Sometimes I'll watch them later the same evening, just to skip the commercials. But mostly, I just think of the DVR as a big buffer. If I have time and want to watch something, I'll pick a show and watch. If something gets overwritten before I watch it, no big deal. Without the DVR, I would have missed it for sure.


DE


"The things you own - end up owning you." - Tyler Durden
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu
We have two Directv DVR's. One with 200 hour capacity and one with 100 hour capacity. We used to have 7 DVR's, but I switched to a distribution system instead so every TV in the house can access each DVR. Anyway, we have 37 season passes on one of the units and 22 on the other (about 12 of which are strictly kids shows for our son). That means there's 59 shows that we never miss an episode of. And we watch almost all of them (Stew
Wow. Just..... wow. :eek: I salute you, sir. My "problem" is just a small fraction of that and I can't find the time to watch it all plus work, sleep, eat, & interact with my wife and friends. And here I thought you were supposed to have less time when you had kids! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
I think you have two choices. Retire (perhaps requiring a major lottery win) and watch TV all day, or discuss this with a psychotherapist.
My shrink's got the same problem with his DVR. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
I think you have two choices. Retire (perhaps requiring a major lottery win) and watch TV all day, or discuss this with a psychotherapist.
I've done all that (except the Lottery part) and it doesn't help. It is some type of self-contract that seems to say, "If you've recorded it, you have an obligation to watch it." Of course, that's nonsense, but YOU try reasoning with that other voice in my head. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
For me, it's all "blessing." I live in Maine but am in Milwaukee 4 days a week, and would miss some fantastic shows otherwise. I'm selective about what I record, and haven't run into a situation yet where I've been unable to watch everything I've recorded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,828 Posts
Don't have one. Don't really want one. Not that much on that interests me. If I miss it when it's broadcast, oh well, life goes on. Something about paying all that money for a dam hard drive, then paying for the privilege of using it, makes it unpalatable for me.


Each to his own :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
OMG I love my dvr. Its not to often a peice of hardware comes out that completely changes the game. My problem is that with time shifting there is to much to watch(what a great sich). I would love to get a few terrabytes--coming soon to a theater near you(your own).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
My wife and I love our DVR(s). We hate commercials and except for news, we almost never watch "live" tv. Plus, the backlog is not a problem when you need to watch something while giving the newborn the 2am feeding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger
When your friends say that are they grimacing or smiling? My guess would be the latter.
It's actually very matter-of-factly. So it would be neither.

Quote:
People are slaves to technologies if they choose to be, ...
Couldn't agree more, and I believe you are an example of someone that chooses not to be. I personally think it's a chore (I think I'm entitled to gauge what it is), but then again, I think watching TV in general is a chore these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,896 Posts
Literally I'm still just at a loss as to why more people don't have DVRs. I have the ability to sit down and watch haht and when I want, this was never an option before. I've had a Tivo for years and love it and got an HD version as soon as I could.


It's like access to all the food we have you can choose to call it a curse.


Art
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top