AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out about this coming to Blu-Ray! I can't wait! Sir Anthony Hopkins, Alec Baldwin & Bart the bear give excellent performances.

I seen this movie in the theater, then bought the Laser Disc and then bought it again when the non-anamorphic dvd came out for the small improvement over the Laser Disc. I hope Fox does a good job with this catalog title.
Should be a DTS-HD audio!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Don't forget a young Elle McPherson ..... mmmmm........

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hundreds of great movies in studio catalogs and they keep going to material like...THE EDGE.

It wasn't a bad movie, but geez...there are so many other, better films that would also sell more on Blu than this one. The film didn't even do that well when it was first released, but I guess the criteria is that it's a 90s film, apparently.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well, I'm excited and I preordered already.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
I send a donation every year to Vital Ground; a charity setup in honor of Bart the Bear.

It is run by the trainer of Bart as a tribute to his memory as an animal performer.

The goal is to establish a land corridor from the Canadian population of bears to the U.S. population (based primarily in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming) in order to prevent in-breeding.

Needless to say, this is an automatic pre-order for me.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Admittedly, The Edge is not a great film, but I just love features that are shot in the great outdoors with magnificient, sweeping vistas. I feel that this one attribute alone qualifies these types of films as perfect candidates for BD release, especially when played back on larger displays. Often, the natural backdrop is integral to the storytelling & adds a sense of grandeur, scope, and mood. There are countless catalog titles I'd love to see on blu where the natural landscape is a primary character in itself....to name a few: The River Wild, Thelma & Louise, Dances w/Wolves, The Bear, Quest For Fire, The Painted Veil, The Straight Story, Seraphim Falls, Mountain Patrol, K2, Breakdown, The Motorcycle Diaries, The Sheltering Sky, The Horse Whisperer, An Unfinished Life, and of course, Lawrence of Arabia

So yes, The Edge is a must buy for me, especially given the fact that it was mostly shot in my 'back yard' -- the beautiful Alberta Rockies!

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe /forum/post/18181060

Admittedly, The Edge is not a great film, but I just love features that are shot in the great outdoors with magnificient, sweeping vistas. I feel that this one attribute alone qualifies these types of films as perfect candidates for BD release, especially when played back on larger displays. Often, natural backdrop is integral to the storytelling & adds a sense of grandeur, scope, and mood. There are countless catalog titles I'd love to see on blu where the natural landscape is a primary character in itself....to name a few: The River Wild, Thelma & Louise, Dances w/Wolves, The Bear, Quest For Fire, The Painted Veil, The Straight Story, Seraphim Falls, Mountain Patrol, K2, Breakdown, The Motorcycle Diaries, The Sheltering Sky, The Horse Whisperer, An Unfinished Life, and of course, Lawrence of Arabia

So yes, The Edge is a must buy for me, especially given the fact that it was mostly shot in my 'back yard' -- the beautiful Alberta Rockies!

I agree The Edge is not a great movie, but it isn't bad.

And the footage of Bart is very cool, although not as stunning as the special that was shown years ago with Brad Pitt visiting Bart (he was in Legends of the Fall) at home with his trainer.

I believe it was on the Discovery Channel (?).

Anyway, you could get a visceral sense of the bear's size and strength...and it is scary, to say the least (notice only the trainer is allowed to wrassle with Bart).

Bart was a Kodiak Brown Bear...the largest in North America.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Never seen nor heard of it. It's one reason why I have a NF subscription though, no harm to rent it. I'll put it on my list and give it a try.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't know until just now that Bart passed away from cancer in 2001. Sad....R.I.P. Bart.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 /forum/post/18184654

Never seen nor heard of it. It's one reason why I have a NF subscription though, no harm to rent it. I'll put it on my list and give it a try.

You might also try the DVD of "Growing up Grizzly" which gives the life story of Bart and his career.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/18185639

You might also try the DVD of "Growing up Grizzly" which gives the life story of Bart and his career.

Thanks! I will do that.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/18184103

I agree The Edge is not a great movie, but it isn't bad.

And the footage of Bart is very cool, although not as stunning as the special that was shown years ago with Brad Pitt visiting Bart (he was in Legends of the Fall) at home with his trainer.

I believe it was on the Discovery Channel (?).

Anyway, you could get a visceral sense of the bear's size and strength...and it is scary, to say the least (notice only the trainer is allowed to wrassle with Bart).

Bart was a Kodiak Brown Bear...the largest in North America.

Bart was also in Jean Jacques Annaud's endearing & beautifully-lensed classic, 'The Bear' (1988). If ever there was a film ripe for a royal BD treatment -- 100% on R/T's !!! -- nuff said

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I actually caught this one in the theater back in the day. Aside from Bart, the only thing I really remember was the plane crash.. I remember thinking it looked like they actually threw a full-size plane into a lake. But I haven't seen it in forever to see if I can pick it apart (knowing as much as I do now about effects like that).

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe /forum/post/18186675

Bart was also in Jean Jacques Annaud's endearing & beautifully-lensed classic, 'The Bear' (1988). If ever there was a film ripe for a royal BD treatment -- 100% on R/T's !!! -- nuff said

Funny you should mention that...I was thinking about renting the DVD the other day.

Never have seen the movie...

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco /forum/post/18576710

It will be out next week..anyone sneek preview this for PQ & AQ?

I was looking for reviews this weekend and could not find any as of yet.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/18187386

Funny you should mention that...I was thinking about renting the DVD the other day.

Never have seen the movie...

The Bear is a beautiful film oink. And the shooting was epic... 14 grizzly babies on set, several pieces of equipment broken, Bart... iirc the males are usually not very friendly with babies, but Bart and the little bear went along just fine and there was touching moments during filming. I had a book covering the complete production it got lost when we moved to Montreal, and I'm still angry about it. J-J Annaud got injured while doing a photoshoot with Bart, gently putting a claw in annaud's assm, just playing... There was numerous stories like this... Apparently this giant bear was also the friendliest. ...That said, this movie is like no other, it's certainly not a documetary, the bears are the characters, we follow them through their journey. You have to see it!
[/OT]

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hmmmm, I saw The Bear on VHS, I should check out the DVD, nice to hear it's available. Good movie.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts