AVS Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Awesome! I've started thinking about doing the same thing when I go to build my riser. My 2nd tier will be tall enough that I could fit a full marty laying down inside of it. I figured the row of seats would be above the driver, and the port would be behind them, so no risk of people walking on them. The grate still seems like a good idea though. Where did you find the grate? Or are you building it?
I found a local laser cutting shop in town that was able to cut the grate for $75. My brother is an engineer and ran some simulations to make sure it would be able to support weight (this particular grate will support 750lb and is a 23"x23" square- 3/16" thick A36 steel). Let me know if you want the .DXF file.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I found a local laser cutting shop in town that was able to cut the grate for $75. My brother is an engineer and ran some simulations to make sure it would be able to support weight (this particular grate will support 750lb and is a 23"x23" square- 3/16" thick A36 steel). Let me know if you want the .DXF file.
Are you going to have seating on top of the grate by chance? How far above the NSW will the bottom of the grate be? I'm interested in hearing if you have problems with rattling noises having a metal grate right above the driver like that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Are you going to have seating on top of the grate by chance? How far above the NSW will the bottom of the grate be? I'm interested in hearing if you have problems with rattling noises having a metal grate right above the driver like that.
There will be carpet on the riser and then the grate has 4 screw holes, one in each corner, to be secured to the riser decking with screws. I'll be shocked if there is any rattling or extraneous noises from the grate. I'll report back if there are any. There will be no seating directly on top of the grate but it will be positioned behind the 3rd row of bar seats. We just have to make sure to buy barstools with feet that can't fall through the square openings in the grate. Distance from the driver to the back of the walking grate is 1.5"+ (38+mm), so we should be safe even beyond x-max which I think would be difficult to reach with 3 of these boxes in a domestic setting.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts