AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,274 Posts
Yup, at least for Samsung. They'll probably end them even sooner than their November 30 deadline.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1586626-samsung-makes-official.html

That will leave just LG, and i guess it's always possible that they'll continue making them after Samsung leaves - but it'll be interesting to see what happens with LG.

Meanwhile, i'm gathering info on various LCD TVs in case my Plasma suffers a catastrophic terminal failure ;)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yup, at least for Samsung. They'll probably end them even sooner than their November 30 deadline.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1586626-samsung-makes-official.html

That will leave just LG, and i guess it's always possible that they'll continue making them after Samsung leaves - but it'll be interesting to see what happens with LG.

Meanwhile, i'm gathering info on various LCD TVs in case my Plasma suffers a catastrophic terminal failure ;)
LG seems to be one busy company. They now have 3 video techs going on at the same time w/plasma, lcd/led and oled. That's pretty aggressive. I'm keeping my eye on these guys.

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
LG seems to be one busy company. They now have 3 video techs going on at the same time w/plasma, lcd/led and oled. That's pretty aggressive. I'm keeping my eye on these guys.
If they can produce OLED at a much lower price, LG will cease producing plasma. My gut feeling, this is their last year too. It will be buried in some future news release later this year.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
If they can produce OLED at a much lower price, LG will cease producing plasma. My gut feeling, this is their last year too. It will be buried in some future news release later this year.
Yeah, I can't see LG producing plasmas very much longer. I think LG is trying to dominate the CE display biz by way of OLED. If this OLED matures like everyone on here hopes it does, they just might succeed.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Oh for Chrissakes. We all know plasma is dead. Do we really need yet another thread about it so we can all cry in our beers? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I get the feeling that I am being told what to buy. "You want expensive LEDs, and OLEDs, not plasma." Too many people have already bought their TV-- so I assume the market is saturated. But large LCDs are only good for crappy home theaters, and good projectors are unfortunately touchy. Instead of promoting truly different technology, I see the same old crap.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
^^^ I felt that way about 8yrs ago when I wanted to replace my RPTV with another CRT based unit. I could see there were some for sale, mostly in the states, for ridiculously cheap prices, but not a single one could be had locally. really frustrating looking at crappy flat panels that cost 3k and up when a $1500 RPTV was a better image and larger screen to boot.

seems like that's happening again, although I'm not so annoyed with OLED, it seems to be a legitimate upgrade.

I'm just hoping my current TV's last a long time. all I can do is not buy inferior products and hope that enough ppl avoid them as well. maybe UHD will be a flop, and manufacturers will be forced to start making better TV's instead of 'better spec'd' TV's. in any event, I'm in a situation where I'm actually not wanting an upgrade, and I'm not even really interested enough to pay attention to what's coming out(other than keeping my eye on OLED and LED based projectors). if my only options continue to be edgelit LED's, it's going to be very easy for me to hold onto my money.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I get the feeling that I am being told what to buy. "You want expensive LEDs, and OLEDs, not plasma." Too many people have already bought their TV-- so I assume the market is saturated. But large LCDs are only good for crappy home theaters, and good projectors are unfortunately touchy. Instead of promoting truly different technology, I see the same old crap.
Let's put it this way. Your choices have become very limited, and perhaps non-existant, if you want the same quality picture that was once offered to you in 2013 for a bargain price. You'll pay more now for 4K TV's that are inferior in PQ and performance, not to mention that 4K is a useless waste for smaller screens under 70+".

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
Yup, at least for Samsung. They'll probably end them even sooner than their November 30 deadline. That will leave just LG, and i guess it's always possible that they'll continue making them after Samsung leaves - but it'll be interesting to see what happens with LG.
What? You don't have enough backup displays? Your slipping Randy!

Ian :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts