AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly I was at Fry's Electronics a couple of days ago and discovered their remaining HD-DVD inventory on a single shelf module in the middle of the isle, at clearance prices. The entire section of HD-DVDs was finally depleted by Christmas shoppers to the point where it got replaced by the expanded BD titles.


The HD-DVD pricing was slightly below the conventional DVD of the same movie. But the few remaining titles I did not already own, I did not want.


I may pick up another Xbox 360 HD drive at $39 just for a spare for the HTPC. Lots of those left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/15412434


Sadly I was at Fry's Electronics a couple of days ago and discovered their remaining HD-DVD inventory on a single shelf module in the middle of the isle, at clearance prices. The entire section of HD-DVDs was finally depleted by Christmas shoppers to the point where it got replaced by the expanded BD titles.


The HD-DVD pricing was slightly below the conventional DVD of the same movie. But the few remaining titles I did not already own, I did not want.


I may pick up another Xbox 360 HD drive at $39 just for a spare for the HTPC. Lots of those left.

You should come to Texas. In Austin we still have likely a few thousand. I wouldn't be surprised if the Irving store still has its shelves packed with plenty of inventory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
There were still a number on the shelves here in the Atlanta area, but definitely fading pretty quickly around the holidays. I wouldn't imagine Frys is going to dedicate the shelf space much longer though.


I'd buy a few more, but I'm surprised the prices haven't fallen even further in an effort to clear them out once and for all. At the current pricing levels, I've purchased my last HD DVDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,694 Posts
Frys.com still shows most HD DVD's in stock so I imagine they have a warehouse full of them.The two stores in the Sacramento area still have some left,if they want to get rid of them they should mark them down to $5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdpaul /forum/post/15413511


There were still a number on the shelves here in the Atlanta area, but definitely fading pretty quickly around the holidays. I wouldn't imagine Frys is going to dedicate the shelf space much longer though.


I'd buy a few more, but I'm surprised the prices haven't fallen even further in an effort to clear them out once and for all. At the current pricing levels, I've purchased my last HD DVDs.


I'm hoping that when I go up there In February they will still have some left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/15412535


You should come to Texas. In Austin we still have likely a few thousand. I wouldn't be surprised if the Irving store still has its shelves packed with plenty of inventory.


Fry's in Plano has thousands of HD DVD's still on the shelves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdpaul /forum/post/15413511


There were still a number on the shelves here in the Atlanta area, but definitely fading pretty quickly around the holidays. I wouldn't imagine Frys is going to dedicate the shelf space much longer though.


I'd buy a few more, but I'm surprised the prices haven't fallen even further in an effort to clear them out once and for all. At the current pricing levels, I've purchased my last HD DVDs.

Yeah, I was in that store last week and was surprised how few titles have been slashed in price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi /forum/post/15414733


Yeah, I was in that store last week and was surprised how few titles have been slashed in price.


You go to the Duluth or Alpharetta store? I haven't been to Alpharetta in a while, but they seemed to have a much smaller selection. Definitely surprised at the number of titles in the 7.99 to 11.99 range. Though, the box sets they carry (Heroes, Battlestar, MI) are a great deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
In Canada all the Future Shop, Walmart, HMV and Archambault I visit doesn't display them, I guess ther all sold out. I know futureshop.ca still have a few titles left but none instore. But even when there was plenty of them instores I was buying online and it was much cheaper, thanks inetvideo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
head up to the Fry's in Palo Alto. I was there on Saturday the 3rd. they have about 40 foot display area , plus assorted boxes underneath the display, plus an end display. you can also try the Fry's in Sunnyvale, but I don't know how much they have. Just a quick trip up hwy 101.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/15448511


Joerod,

If you fly into Orange County, there is a Frys in Fountain Valley just down the road, and in Anaheim. Well stocked with HD DVD's at the Fountain Valley store.

The larger Anaheim store had a huge stock before the holidays, but over the weekend I was shocked how far it had reduced. I was hoping for a $5 clearance for the few titles I still want but they may not last...
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top