AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The End of X10

By Julie Jacobson
Home automation pioneer will no longer make powerline-based products for controlling lights, thermostats and other devices.

X10 is shutting down. It appears the company is headed into receivership and its factories will cease making products for controlling lights and other devices over the powerline.

CE Pro has learned from several sources that X10 will no longer make products based on the home-control protocol it created in the 1970s.

Interestingly, the closure coincides with a high-profile report from Black Hat that X10 could be hacked, but that report most likely had nothing to do with X10's demise. More likely, the company simply faced competition from newer home-control technologies such as Z-Wave (RF) and Universal Powerline Bus (powerline).

Being the low-cost provider, X10 undoubtedly suffered from higher wages in China, where its products are manufactured.

Click here to continue.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Quote:
Being the low-cost provider, X10 undoubtedly suffered from higher wages in China, where its products are manufactured.

It's interesting to see the world of economics at play. All companies that moved production to China or other Asian countries will eventually face this "problem". As the work force grows and the "standard of living" increases in these countries (aka inflation), thus putting demands on labour costs, eventually that will cause the once-cheaply produced product to rise in price. So either we all pay more money to keep people working around the world, or we start moving production to Africa where we can start the low-wage cycle all over again. Hmmmm...so when the whole world starts demanding higher wages and there is no more places on this earth to take advantage of low labour costs, I guess we'll put aliens to work on a newly colonized planet. We'll pay them next to nothing, in that it will still be cheaper to do intergalactic shipments than it will be to manufacture the same product on Earth.

Wait a minute...with only a fraction of the population employed in government and service industries, who will be able to afford to purchase these goods if aliens and machines make up the whole labour work force??? If there is no buyer, there is no selling!

Interesting times ahead...

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,560 Posts
My brother in law passed away early this year and he had everything in the house on an X10 controller.

I had to spend some time with my sister putting in some real light switches so that she could actually operate the outdoor lights herself. But he still haunts the house as lights come on and go off in the middle of the night.

Part of his legacy system:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw /forum/post/20827638

It's interesting to see the world of economics at play. All companies that moved production to China or other Asian countries will eventually face this "problem". As the work force grows and the "standard of living" increases in these countries (aka inflation), thus putting demands on labour costs, eventually that will cause the once-cheaply produced product to rise in price. So either we all pay more money to keep people working around the world, or we start moving production to Africa where we can start the low-wage cycle all over again. Hmmmm...so when the whole world starts demanding higher wages and there is no more places on this earth to take advantage of low labour costs, I guess we'll put aliens to work on a newly colonized planet. We'll pay them next to nothing, in that it will still be cheaper to do intergalactic shipments than it will be to manufacture the same product on Earth.

Wait a minute...with only a fraction of the population employed in government and service industries, who will be able to afford to purchase these goods if aliens and machines make up the whole labour work force??? If there is no buyer, there is no selling!

Interesting times ahead...

Hi Michael , it's been a while....! Enjoyed your Post . How true . Another product I invested early in bites the dust . First Pronto , now X-10 , what's next...........?

Scott..............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.