AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching the classic surfing movie, The Endless Summer on my plasma. It looks absoutely incredible. Old film on standard Cable and it looks amazing. Hopefully I can find the movie on dvd. I love my plasma!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Without a doubt, a classic. As a windsurfer that sails waves, I can truly appreciate The Endless Summer.

I would think because of its age, it might look a little "smeary" on a plasma. I don't know what equipment was used to record it. How was the quality of the image?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
And I thought this was going to be a post about having to wait all summer for new models to come out before you could buy one.

How nice to see, instead, someone who has bought and is just enjoying their new baby!

Mark

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill - That's exactly what I said when I first started watching the movie. Everything looked a little washed out to me, but in no time the sheer beauty of the surf other scenes just overtook me. Somehow despite its almost 40 year old age, it looked beautiful to me. I am definitely getting the dvd.

Rogo - Your posts always give me a chuckle. It's funny though, watching this movie made me want to go out and buy a whole bunch of dvd's. I read on another post, how Plasma changed someone's viewing habits from mostly tv to mostly dvd. I can certainly see why.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I grew up in Santa Cruz (Wingnut's hometown) and have both movies (I & II) on tape. When it is foggy here I occasionally pop one in and try to remember the ocean....

·
Registered
344 Posts
MarkC and Tweak:

Thanks for bringing up this fantastic chronicled adventure.

In about 17 days, I'll be down in Texas (South Padre Island) windsurfing the Gulf. This will last for about 2 months (my Endless Summer). Gotta rent ES I and II from Blockbuster before the trip!

rogo:

Whaddya think? Endless Summer on the HS-10 or the 433CMX, or both?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I was so into surfing as a kid that I saw ES I in the theaters about 5 times. Loved ES II a few years ago as well. I watched a DVD my daughter had called "Blue Crush" just last weekend. Not much on plot but they had some great waves and the girls in bikinis were cute!

-- Gary

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
marchristensen: Glad I could bring a smile now and again. I try to for a generally "lightening up" of the place to offset those moments where I have to go on the offensive to bury someone's wrong "information."

Bill G: Definitely both. It would be interesting to do some comparitive critical viewing on such a setup sometime.

Gary: Blue Crush was delightful fluff. IMO, a perfect plasma movie.

Mark

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Mark --

I love plasma fluff!

Shedrock--

I forgot about that one. Loved it too. It's on my shopping list for tomorrow!

All this "retro" talk is getting me all misty-eyed! I remember my first board. I was 14 and it was an 8-1/2 foot board made by Tom Morey. He was a friend of my dad's and has made and lost several fortunes. One of his first inventions was the fiberglass pool cue. He lost all the money from that and then went to work for dad for awhile before getting into surfboards. He introduced the first removeable fiberglass "skag" and the board I had was one of his prototypes. He then hit it big again with the Morey Boogie Board. Last time I saw him he was living on chicken ranch in hawaii and had about 12 kids! He is definitely the flakiest guy I've ever met but once in awhile, all the snapses fired at the same time.

But I digress... :)

-- Gary

·
Registered
36 Posts
All this talk of "Endless Summer" and memories of warm summer days on the Jersey shore got me stoked! Went out and bought my own copy of the movie on Ebay! Cowabunga, baby!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Gary:

Ah, the smell of polyester resin! There's something about watching a shaper do your board. The anticipation - well, kinda like waiting for your plasma to be delivered. I had some pretty cool airbrushes done. Unfortunately, in the windsurfing world, the day of the custom shaper is just about over. Almost everything is molded/manufactured now. No more cool graphics.:(

By the way, I think it's a skeg.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Bill --

That IS a very distinctive smell! I used to watch Tom's guys, the "shapers", work. Both were even flakier than Tom.

Of course you're right about the spelling but the nuerons in this part of my brian haven't fired off in a very long time...

-- Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.