AVS Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 8050 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like he may be doing an acoustically transparent screen.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Sure enough! Screen height will be 73” so will fit nicely in the space. Viewing height is 65”.

Planning on 11.5 feet or so for MLP. It’s quite immersive but the 5050’s lens gives me option to scale it down if it’s too big. Just so difficult to choose screen size when projecting on concrete wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
So i'm thinking about buying the 5050UB but the 6050UB really confuses me. Is the 6050UB even available in Europe?

The only one I can find in Europe is the TW9400 (and wireless version). According to many this is the European version of the 5050UB. Can't find any information about the 6050UB Europe version.

What confuses me more is that the TW9400 is black and the 5050UB is white. Also, retailers in Europe have listed an contrast ratio of 1.200.000:1 on the TW9400 productpage. But afaik the 5050UB should have 1.000.000:1 and the 6050UB should have 1.200.000:1.

There are no models above the TW9400 in Europe. So the 6050UB does not exist in Europe?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
So i'm thinking about buying the 5050UB but the 6050UB really confuses me. Is the 6050UB even available in Europe?

The only one I can find in Europe is the TW9400 (and wireless version). According to many this is the European version of the 5050UB. Can't find any information about the 6050UB Europe version.

What confuses me more is that the TW9400 is black and the 5050UB is white. Also, retailers in Europe have listed an contrast ratio of 1.200.000:1 on the TW9400 productpage. But afaik the 5050UB should have 1.000.000:1 and the 6050UB should have 1.200.000:1.

There are no models above the TW9400 in Europe. So the 6050UB does not exist in Europe?
The TW9400 is the 6050, there’s a TW8400 is some countries though not in the UK which is the 5050.

P.S.

It’s not retailers that are listing the 9400’s contrast as 1,200,000:1 it’s Epson themselves.

Reactions: lganz316

·
Registered
47 Posts
The TW9400 is the 6050, there’s a TW8400 is some countries though not in the UK which is the 5050.
Hmm, that's interesting. As the 6050UB comes with an extra lamp and ceiling mount and goes for 4k$. The TW9400 does not have all that and goes for 2.4k$ (or 2200 euro). Sounds like a bargain then.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting. As the 6050UB comes with an extra lamp and ceiling mount and goes for 4k$. The TW9400 does not have all that and goes for 2.4k$ (or 2200 euro). Sounds like a bargain then.
It is indeed a bargain and if you were like me as one of the first to get it you got an Epson 5yr warranty thrown in as well. As for the mount it’s approximately £120 and a spare bulb £100.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I bought my 6050 from https://dreamediaav.com/ for MUCH less than $4k I won't give price due to retail and forum rules but email or call them. Free shipping and no sales tax if you are out of Texas. You may know them from their you tube channels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsuHhF6wWKvUDimNZDXNevQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0JjiIOIWmYIs-p7GETaFMQ

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
So this started happening last night. I notice it on any fade to black scenes / any full dark screen ie clicking on Netflix as it loads.

Can’t seem to catch a break with the 5050 UB, sorry for the poor quality pictures, I had to rapid fire the phone before the fade ended could not focus anything.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures, is that a blue dot?

Reactions: CallingMrBenzo

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good luck with dust. Before I tossed my 8350 in the trash I took it apart, it's a pretty large task to get everything apart to remove dust from the different glass elements/filters. It would be nice if the light path was sealed so no dust would enter it at all and it shouldn't be difficult or expensive to add a plastic "lid" to the section.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I am sure you know this already but that looks like a dust blob. I feel so bad for you. This is your third 5050 already if I remember correctly. I don't have words at this point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m on the phone with Epson now, waiting on approval to get another projector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
We moved and I went from a dedicated bat cave to a multi-purpose media room with some light control. The screen is a 120" 1.0 gain screen that is 16' away from the projector. I currently have a 6 year old Sony HW50ES with a somewhat new bulb but it just isn't able to put enough light to throw a picture during the day.

Most of what we watch wouldn't be 4k so not really needing 4k but it will be nice for the HDR. From all of the reviews it sounds like the 5050 will put out more than enough lumens to compensate for ambient light.

I had a Epson 1080UB and 6500UB back in the day and they were good projectors. I did have to deal with a dust blob once but was able to dislodge it will compressed air. How have the 5050's been with dust blobs? Anything to be aware of or should I just be able to mount it and go?

If the 5050 doesn't work I will probably go with a Sony 695ES, since the JVCs are not great with upconversion to 4k and they dropped the 790.

Tx

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I’m on the phone with Epson now, waiting on approval to get another projector.

Yep we do hear a lot about dust blobs...I do not have a 5050 but a 4030 bought new (old stock not a refurb) from Epson in February this year that now has 2...at least with the 5050 one's replacement may still be new or a rather recent refurbished unit and you could continue to send them back until you have a good one.
Epson offered me a replacement, still thinking about it as with a discontinued model there's no guarantee the replacement will not have other issues and maybe even more dust blobs...... the replacement may eventually (probably) get some......for now at least they're only visible on "some" dark scenes but once you know they're there.......:(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yep we do hear a lot about dust blobs...I do not have a 5050 but a 4030 bought new (old stock not a refurb) from Epson in February this year that now has 2...at least with the 5050 one's replacement may still be new or a rather recent refurbished unit and you could continue to send them back until you have a good one.
Epson offered me a replacement, still thinking about it as with a discontinued model there's no guarantee the replacement will not have other issues and maybe even more dust blobs...... the replacement may eventually (probably) get some......for now at least they're only visible on "some" dark scenes but once you know they're there.......:(

It does suck. I am getting a new unit should be here tomorrow. I am so bummed. I had this calibrated by Chad B and now I’m back to square one.

·
Registered
373 Posts

It is nice that Epson is willing and able to send out replacement units for dust blobs. On the other side of the coin you have the SXRD/D-ILA which have panel degradation so I guess either way you can run into issues with panels.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
It is nice that Epson is willing and able to send out replacement units for dust blobs. On the other side of the coin you have the SXRD/D-ILA which have panel degradation so I guess either way you can run into issues with panels.
Sony, which terms their panels SXRD, has had panel degradation issues. JVC, which is DILA, has not. JVC does have some gamma droop as the bulb matures, but this is easily correctable.

2501 - 2520 of 8050 Posts