AVS Forum banner

2981 - 3000 of 8070 Posts

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Ah, okay. Thanks for the info !

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Your reciever is almost five years old in terms of technology so it can cause some intermittent handshake issues from time to time. I believe you have the 710. Should be fine most of the time. I have even experienced what you described once or twice with my Denon 6500. So many electronics all different brands trying to work together it only takes one hiccup anywhere in the chain to get a a minor issue once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Your reciever is almost five years old in terms of technology so it can cause some intermittent handshake issues from time to time. I believe you have the 710. Should be fine most of the time. I have even experienced what you described once or twice with my Denon 6500. So many electronics all different brands trying to work together it only takes one hiccup anywhere in the chain to get a a minor issue once in a while.

Yeah, I'm getting the itch to get a new receiver. The x3400 looks good.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I forgot to mention that last night something kind of weird happened a couple times when watching a bunch of different content. 2 different times, when I started playing 2 different movies, the entire right side of the screen was all out of whack with the colors, and the picture was kind of sparkling. It happened once on the Shield, and once on the Xfinity 4k box. When I restarted both movies, the issue went away. Anyone know what that could be, and should I be concerned?

I had some handshake issues with various sources when I was using a RuiPro fiber optic cable which went away when I switched to this Blue Jeans “Active” HDMI cable:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/series3a.htm

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I've really like my Denon 3400, especially at half off original MSRP. Good deals to be had out there.

Just don't use the HDMI AUX1 on the front of the unit!!! :grin:
The Denon 3500 can be found for almost same price as the 3400 since the 3600 came out. Still stay away from the HDMI on the front of all receivers.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
OK, life lesson learned...

Out of sheer laziness, I was plugging into my AVR (Denon) via the front HDMI-in (Aux1).

After I eliminated all other possibilities on what was limiting the video signal (short HDMI, long HDMI) and hoping my new Denon AVR was not the problem, I simply unplugged from the Aux1 and into one of the back HDMI inputs on the Denon, and viola! I now get access to 81 Shield video settings, I can select the 59.94Hz 12-bit, 422 Rec2020, and it all works on the 5050 end!

Now, I can finally watch a UHD in peace, knowing I am getting the best signal.

Thanks, all, for your input and suggestions.
When you first start watching an HDR film, do you first get sound, then the picture about 5 seconds later?

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
When you first start watching an HDR film, do you first get sound, then the picture about 5 seconds later?

That has been my general experience I don't know if you were asking just Dr bill but I find that to be true.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey guys

I am enjoying my 5050ub so far but have some questions.

- I am using a 138" screen. I assume I NEED to use high power mode in order to actually have decent HDR? bat cave style room.

- I am using the provided settings ( HDR Accurate, HDR Bright and SDR ) and things look good when I use it in the recommended power mode ( high for HDR ) but when I step it down I do not notice a huge drop in lumens, but the image gets rather green. Are there calibrated settings that use the MEDIUM lamp mode available?

- If I decide to try to calibrate this myself, is there anything different for HDR calibration? or can I use my old 1080P blu ray calibration disc? or is there a new AVSForum recommended free calibration software?

Thank you !

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Hey guys

I am enjoying my 5050ub so far but have some questions.

- I am using a 138" screen. I assume I NEED to use high power mode in order to actually have decent HDR? bat cave style room.

- I am using the provided settings ( HDR Accurate, HDR Bright and SDR ) and things look good when I use it in the recommended power mode ( high for HDR ) but when I step it down I do not notice a huge drop in lumens, but the image gets rather green. Are there calibrated settings that use the MEDIUM lamp mode available?

- If I decide to try to calibrate this myself, is there anything different for HDR calibration? or can I use my old 1080P blu ray calibration disc? or is there a new AVSForum recommended free calibration software?

Thank you !
Hey I am using a 137" SeymourAv AT screen and I use my 5050 on Eco Mode and get amazing HDR, the other modes on the projector from what I can see really only brighten the picture. I use either Dynamic or Bright Cinema and when using HDR, I run my brightness around 53.
I don't see any difference in the quality of my picture, only the brightness, when change fan modes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
LOL, I’ve went through the whole process of converting dark grey walls and ceiling to black velour and the different is shocking so I can tell you the difference with a white room would be staggering.
Well, the world of HT is highly subjective. Your "staggering" might be the next person's "slightly". It's all relative. I've been in velvet bat-caves before and it's better but not so much better that it outweighs the eyesore of covering the main room of their basement in unsightly black fabric. If you have a dedicated theater room it's an easier decision. Just my opinion - no need to be rude about it, we're all here just trying to help each other out :)

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Well, the world of HT is highly subjective. Your "staggering" might be the next person's "slightly". It's all relative. I've been in velvet bat-caves before and it's better but not so much better that it outweighs the eyesore of covering the main room of their basement in unsightly black fabric. If you have a dedicated theater room it's an easier decision. Just my opinion - no need to be rude about it, we're all here just trying to help each other out :)
It doesn't have to be either or. It's relatively easy to add curtain rods and black drapes. Keep them open and tied off for a bright room, and close them for maximum theatre effect.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I agree with @Luminated67 in regards to a blacked out velvet environment is a night and day difference in image quality compared to a white room. But for other people like yourself it seems to not have as much an impact which like you said it is all relative. Some people wouldn't notice the difference between 4K and 1080P. Still others don't see any difference between a Silver Ticket screen and a Stewart Film Studiotek 100 screen. I failed to see anything rude in @lumiated67 comments. He was as you suggested just trying to share his opinion within the community.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just spent all of last evening reading about this projector and getting real excited (going from 2.35 to 16:9 with a touch of a button is a dream of mine) that it could be my first 4k PJ only to then find out that its throw range doesn't work with my screen/room. Lesson learned...before reading PJ reviews check the throw calculator first :(

Oh well, I'll have to keep an eye on this model line though for when we get a new house in the next 3 or so years.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Figured I would get the hands-on thread going to augment the rumors thread that has been going.

Epson HC5050UB has started to get into customers' hands on the eve of being officially announced next week on April 9th.

What we know:

Price: $2,999.00 (made it to the sub $3k forum by $1!)

Same chassis as 4000, 5040UB, 4010, 4050 etc etc etc

The big one... finally 18gbps HDMI

Early reviews of the EU equivalent TW-9400 are starting to make their way online

I posted a quick video of my test bench I will be using to review and compare to BenQ's new HT5550. Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FVVHldijV0

Great video. :)

Question..Out of the Epson 5050, BenQ HT5550 and BenQ TK800M...which one is best for viewing sports broadcast in 1080P? I'm a huge sports fan so this is important to me. Thank you!

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Just spent all of last evening reading about this projector and getting real excited (going from 2.35 to 16:9 with a touch of a button is a dream of mine) that it could be my first 4k PJ only to then find out that its throw range doesn't work with my screen/room. Lesson learned...before reading PJ reviews check the throw calculator first :(

Oh well, I'll have to keep an eye on this model line though for when we get a new house in the next 3 or so years.
Very sorry to hear that. It is very surprising since the throw on the Epson 5050 series is really forgiving. What projector do you currently have that is able to do a better throw for you than the Epson I'm just curious?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Be sure you check the official Epson calculator (select the 5040 option). Some of the others online aren't accurate. Calculate it for 2 16:9 screens. The first screen using the height of your desired 2.35:1 screen size and the second 16:9 screen using the width of the 2.35:1 screen. Where the throw range overlaps on the 2 screens is where you can mount it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I failed to see anything rude in his comments. He was as you suggested just trying to share his opinion within the community.
When you begin your reply to someone's experience with an all-caps "LOL", that very much suggests he thought my experience was somehow so ridiculous or absurd that he laughed out loud. I was only sharing my observations as an attempt to help the poster I had originally quoted. The golden rule of HT whether it be audio or video related is to not pay for things you personally can't really notice, so it struck me as an odd reaction.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Very sorry to hear that. It is very surprising since the throw on the Epson 5050 series is really forgiving. What projector do you currently have that is able to do a better throw for you than the Epson I'm just curious?

In my case I need something with a shorter throw due to HVAC and some other obstacles (like a staircase) blocking the ideal ceiling joist bays in my basement theater.

The farthest away from my screen I was able to mount my projector was 10'. Rear bookshelf wasn't an option due to a fireplace. I've currently got a 115" 16:9 Seymour AT screen but have always wanted do be able to do a Constant Height setup with a 2.35 screen and some masking panels.

Current PJ is BenQ 1070....I had settled on a HT3550 at first for my jump to 4k since the throw is exactly the same but then I started reading about the 5050 and its motorized lens and got all excited. Looks like I'll just get the 3550 for now and if we do buy a new place (and if we do it'll definitely have a space for a new theater room) I'll have the chance to do a new theater build and finally get the CH setup I've always wanted.

2981 - 3000 of 8070 Posts