AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 8098 Posts

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Finally someone who actually owns a projector like I do and is as blown away as I am. Quite frankly little tired of reading post about people who never owned either the 5040 or the 5050 saying that it couldn't possibly be worth the extra $1,000. Having own both of them it is certainly worth the extra $1,000. I'm all for people who have differing opinions and having an intelligent discussion about them because everybody's eyesight is different everybody's preferences different and everybody's room conditions are different but if you honestly haven't seen either projector or if only seen one or the other how could I take your opinion seriously.
I’m pretty sure myself and @Alaric have been BIGGING IT UP about this projector for quite some time. /forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Very few projectors can genuinely be considered an alternative to a JVC and this is definitely one of them.
Yes you and Alaric certainly have and thank you for that. I guess it was just some of the more recent posts from forum members squinting at computer and uttering " all the measurements are the same as the 5040" without having viewed either the 5050 or the 5040 was driving me a wee bit mad. You and Alaric made me genuinely excited before my 5050 arrived so thanks again. I agree 100% that the 5050 can truly compete with the new true 4k projectors and at this price point to boot. Truly amazing projector.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Since you're all about specs and measurements instead of opinions which even a professional review is just an opinion, by actual people who own the projector, what projector do you own and why.
I own a TW9300W and a TW9300 and couldn't be happier. I'm saying that the 5050/9400 is a great projector, just as the 5040/9300, but you make it sound as if they are two totally different projectors. The 5050 is basically the same projector with a few software tweaks and 18Gbps capability.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Since you're all about specs and measurements instead of opinions which even a professional review is just an opinion, by actual people who own the projector, what projector do you own and why.
I own a TW9300W and a TW9300 and couldn't be happier. I'm saying that the 5050/9400 is a great projector, just as the 5040/9300, but you make it sound as if they are two totally different projectors. The 5050 is basically the same projector with a few software tweaks and 18Gbps capability.
Thanks for your honesty. I get it now. You can't upgrade yet and you are trying to justify not upgrading by any means necessary. Now your interest in this thread and the tone of your posts make a lote more sense. Once again thanks for your honesty. If you ever want to bring your projector over to my theater and I will invite local forum members and they can decide which one they would rather have in their theater let me know. I am about an hour outside of Philadelphia.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for your honesty. I get it now. You can't upgrade yet and you are trying to justify not upgrading by any means necessary. Now your interest in this thread and the tone of your posts make a lote more sense. Once again thanks for your honesty. If you ever want to bring your projector over to my theater and I will invite local forum members and they can decide which one they would rather have in their theater let me know. I am about an hour outside of Philadelphia.
I would never upgrade from a 5040 to a 5050, as I do not game on my projectors and HDR is plenty bright with a custom curve in Digital Cinema mode. My next upgrade will be to a native 4K Epson PJ.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I would never upgrade from a 5040 to a 5050, as I do not game on my projectors and HDR is plenty bright with a custom curve in Digital Cinema mode. My next upgrade will be to a native 4K Epson PJ.
Well IMHO you are missing out but as long as you are happy that is the most important part of this hobby. Having owned both I could never go back to the 5040 custom gamma curves or not. Like you I agree that a Native 4K Epson Laser projector will be my next projector. Unfortunately for all of us that is probably at least two years away and maybe never. Epson understands the part of the market that buys their projectors and the price point to get Native 4K and Laser isn't really in their customer demographics base. They would have to grab that market share from Sony and know JVC and both of their diehard fans are very anti- Epson. So I am not waiting around for a projector from Epson that may never come.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well IMHO you are missing out but as long as you are happy that is the most important part of this hobby. Having owned both I could never go back to the 5040 custom gamma curves or not. Like you I agree that a Native 4K Epson Laser projector will be my next projector. Unfortunately for all of us that is probably at least two years away and maybe never. Epson understands the part of the market that buys their projectors and the price point to get Native 4K and Laser isn't really in their customer demographics base. They would have to grab that market share from Sony and know JVC and both of their diehard fans are very anti- Epson. So I am not waiting around for a projector from Epson that may never come.
Maybe not laser but a lamp based native 4K projector should be the logical progression for Epson in 2 years time. There's not much more they can do with the current e-shift line as evidenced by the minor improvement of this year's model. :wink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
just some quick pics using our planet as a reference. My setup is just a lower level family room but we have large panel blackouts on the sliding back window and enough curtain coverage. So this is with some daylight still coming in from the floor above, perfectly usable during the day, and the room is much better at night when we use the projector like 95% of the time anyway. Did a few quick tests with infinity wars as well and looks damn nice

Also I dont see the issue that @scottyroo was seeing where it doesnt automatically engage HDR. It works just fine both with my shield using kodi/netflix, and on my xfinity box when using netflix. Gets the HDR10 signal info, see the pj blank, check info and its flipped to HDR mode and the slider is available and remembers the last position

This is also pre any tweaks at all. Ive only tried flipping between bright cinema and natural modes and havent tried any of Alaric's settings yet and it already looks great compared to the 5020, then again I am coming from a 2500hr bulb, though we have been using it on high and right now Im running the 5050 at medium power

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
just some quick pics using our planet as a reference. My setup is just a lower level family room but we have large panel blackouts on the sliding back window and enough curtain coverage. So this is with some daylight still coming in from the floor above, perfectly usable during the day, and the room is much better at night when we use the projector like 95% of the time anyway. Did a few quick tests with infinity wars as well and looks damn nice

Also I dont see the issue that @scottyroo was seeing where it doesnt automatically engage HDR. It works just fine both with my shield using kodi/netflix, and on my xfinity box when using netflix. Gets the HDR10 signal info, see the pj blank, check info and its flipped to HDR mode and the slider is available and remembers the last position

This is also pre any tweaks at all. Ive only tried flipping between bright cinema and natural modes and havent tried any of Alaric's settings yet and it already looks great compared to the 5020, then again I am coming from a 2500hr bulb, though we have been using it on high and right now Im running the 5050 at medium power

It’s not that it doesn’t engage hdr... it’s that the calibrated color, brightness, contrast, and grayscale settings don’t switch over to your preferred HDR picture mode when it kicks into HDR.

Take for instance you have a few calibrated modes.... one for bright HDTV, one for calibrated SDR material, and one for calibrated HDR BT2020 material. If you pop in and HDR disc and most recently watched a football game and have it in your bright HDTV mode, the projector will not change your preferred mode when HDR kicks in. Most manufacturers do this now and Epson does not.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It’s not that it doesn’t engage hdr... it’s that the calibrated color, brightness, contrast, and grayscale settings don’t switch over to your preferred HDR picture mode when it kicks into HDR.

Take for instance you have a few calibrated modes.... one for bright HDTV, one for calibrated SDR material, and one for calibrated HDR BT2020 material. If you pop in and HDR disc and most recently watched a football game and have it in your bright HDTV mode, the projector will not change your preferred mode when HDR kicks in. Most manufacturers do this now and Epson does not.
Ahh ok, that makes sense now

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm not running a pc / Xbox etc, just a couple of bluray players and just listed my settings!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Alaric: Where did you list your settings? Can you point to it again? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Alaric: Where did you list your settings? Can you point to it again? Thanks!
If viewing the AVForum from a computer it’s at the bottom of each of his posts.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Maybe not laser but a lamp based native 4K projector should be the logical progression for Epson in 2 years time. There's not much more they can do with the current e-shift line as evidenced by the minor improvement of this year's model.
You got me you made me laugh. You must have the best 5040 ever if you consider the 5050 just some minor improvements. I many others of course are of a different opinion but that's what great we all can have our own idea home theater Heaven

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

On my 100 inch screen in my bat cave I use these settings in digital cinema mode. Lamp is in eco contrast to 75 and HDR slider depends on content.

I use this for SDR with great results again lamp in eco I have posted screen shots back up the thread showing Iron Man 2

These settings are from AVForums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

On my 100 inch screen in my bat cave I use these settings in digital cinema mode. Lamp is in eco contrast to 75 and HDR slider depends on content.

I use this for SDR with great results again lamp in eco I have posted screen shots back up the thread showing Iron Man 2

These settings are from AVForums

Those settings of mine was very early on before I realised it was set to full (0-255) instead of Auto (16-235).

I’d seriously check out the settings of @Alaric.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Those settings of mine was very early on before I realised it was set to full (0-255) instead of Auto (16-235).

I’d seriously check out the settings of @Alaric.

What are you referring to with the 0-255

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
What are you referring to with the 0-255

Video range, it was set on full which is the setting for computer, for BluRay etc you should have it set on Auto or Limited which is (16-235).

·
Registered
507 Posts
If viewing the AVForum from a computer it’s at the bottom of each of his posts.
Do you mean this forum (AVS forum)? If so I don't see it for some reason ..

421 - 440 of 8098 Posts