AVS Forum banner

5841 - 5860 of 8066 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the same question too - I'm not positive if I hit a horizontal shift during the initial setup - and would very much like to start from zero. I've hit all 3 resets and none change the lens shift, nor is there an indicator on where I am.
Not sure this is the same thing you're trying to achieve, from the manual:

"To move the lens to the home position, press and hold the Lens button on the remote control for at least three seconds."

From there you can save the current position to any/all of the lens memories.

Reactions: Northern_Lights

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seeing if anyone has any thoughts on my request below. Thanks very much!

Question re updating my setup.

I've had a panasonic that has lasted me over a decade with a 100" 16:9 screen. Updating and was looking at the 5050UB. I watch movies almost exclusively, so was thinking of a 2.35:1 setup, with a wider screen. Unfortunately, I can set the projector (ceiling-mount) only about 10 feet away. (There's ductwork in the basement ceiling parallel to and 12 feet away from the projection wall, and the projector needs to be on the projection wall side of the ducts so that it doesn't have to hang down below the ducts). Looking at the projector central calculator, it looks like I will be at the end of the zoom capability. In that case, it seems like there will be no benefit to getting a 2.35:1 screen, since I won't be able to enlarge the image beyond the width of the 100" screen I already have. So, I either stick with the screen I currently have, or I get a different projector that has greater zoom capability (like the BenQ HT3550?) so that I can get a screen that is wider than the 100" diag screen that I have now.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Is a 95" 2.35 with the Epson (since I don't see 100" diag 2.35 screens) better than a 115" with the BenQ? Is there any downside to projecting at the maximum zoom capability?

Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Seeing if anyone has any thoughts on my request below. Thanks very much!
These are fairly different projectors. If every showroom in the country weren’t closed at the moment I’d recommend you go get some hands on experience with both. At a minimum you’d get a very quick understanding of the difference between 8 lbs and 24 lbs.

Your larger question is philosophical: do you want to make the move to 2.35. That requires more day-in, day-out effort to deal with. Short answer, you’ll want a projector that allows you to easily switch between 16:9 and 2.35 content. You will probably use the “zoom” method. I don’t recommend the BenQ for this.

For the zoom method, lens memory is very helpful. Note the BenQ does not have lens memory. For that matter the BenQ does not quite meet the minimum necessary zoom ratio of 1.33, although at 1.30 it’s close: with a big enough black border around your screen you can just muddle through. Note this comes at the cost of losing all placement flexibility: there is only one *exact* mounting location that allows this compromise. Finally it’s not just zoom, you have to tilt the mount every time you go back and forth.

I have years of experience using a 1.3 zoom range BenQ and CIH zoom method. It’s hard. I use a Lumagen (an accessory that costs many times the price of the projector) to get rid of the need for tilt. But it’s still manual zoom and re focus every time.

My personal take, as a 2.35 enthusiast, is the wide screen is usually worth the effort. (Specifically, with a 95” 16:9 screen, Star Wars occupies an area of 82x34, whereas with your same-height 115” 2.35 screen, it fills your 106x46 frame. A full 1.75x bigger image. That’s the beauty of CIH.) But since you don’t have the room to go with anything but a short throw projector or a small screen, you may want to put off making the move. On the one hand bigger is better. Let’s admit it, even a mediocre projector can impress when you throw a big image. On the other hand, a better projector improves all content, not just wide format movies.

It’s just impossible to ignore that the HT3550 has produced some frustrating experiences for owners. Check that thread for details. I auditioned the HT3550. It’s an interesting entrant in a growing market segment (moderately priced projectors that accept HDR signals) . But here I am posting in the Epson thread. Draw your own conclusions.

One final technical consideration, the BenQ is not as bright, and on a 115” diagonal this starts to matter if you ever watch 3D or use the WCG filter or have less than optimal ambient light or room reflection issues.

But if you need CIH now, fine, get the BenQ, save some bucks, and upgrade later as the technology (or perhaps a new room) allows.

·
Registered
416 Posts
well i just got my 5050 last night. out the box it was just bad my 5040 with all its custom settings just blew it out the box.on my 5040 which i had for 2+ years was finally dialed in within the last two days to give me some off the most impressive photo or old school jvc like gama?i thought well when the 5050 shows up i would just send it back and spend the extra money and go with the jvc nx5 as the sony sony 295 did not impress me. that boy wonder took over and i opened up 5050 know it would cost me 405 dollars plus the cost of the new projector! out the box it was a nightmare too soft,no velvet blacks,no photo or oled like pop it was brighter a plus over all not happy at all!when i switched to normal edid i lost the picture and was greeted with a dark black screen and a large round green tinted black,it wasn't a dust blob.i said to my self just lost 405 dollars and wondered it the jvc could beat what i was getting from 5040 if any projector for that matter! i plugged in advance cms setting from projecttorreview it looked better but still soft and flat like the sony 295 i saw at bestbuy.i pushed on that boy wounder in me time to play and apply what i learned in the last 3 nights with the 5040.folks let me tell you words just cant explain,dont worry about ek 4k or all the other stuff get this monster it is that good and better than the 5040 and dare i say anything in the 10000 dollar range or equal! my set up using a old school hp 2.8 screen 16.9 106 inch projector just over my seated position about 15 feet away.trip lite power 120v reg plugged into av and projector living room with large opening into foyer behind me. ruko and panny 420 4kblue ray,and sony 4kblue ray palyer. with the ruko i could get 4k hdr at 10 bit444 60 frames but found 4k hdr 8bit 420 at 59.5 to be more stable but at the cost of banning but less than what i getting with the 5040 also note this is with edit set to normal. with the panny i got 4k 12 bit444 at 24 with edit set to expanded no banning at all even with amazon wish they would add vudo app. the sony did not try but will use that for 1080p blue ray with up conversion to 4k why it just does it better than anything else even better than epson well it did on my 5040? on the 5040 gamma go up on the 5050 it goes down mid range leave it alone just the bottom and a little at the top. rgb 48,47,47 gain colors become rich bring up the color start above 55 match what you get on your tv go up close you will see what mean.you can drop the brightness down below 50 or raise to 55 like what i used for the 5040 .some may say why not give exact settings i rather point you and let you learn so you can answer your own question! now for the picture,back in the day jvc was able apply a gamma curve that gave the best blacks or a dark flim like look(i know the hate will come so be it!)with the event of hdr there new projectors dont have that same look why because with hdr it just does not work and the new nx models are more like all new projectors.i say this because its all about the controls or tools and wih that understanding(more hate)you can get to the same place as long as the machine has the tools! and folks the 5050 has it all! the sharpness with the best source source set to 5 will compete with true native 4k. my friend has a sony 295 and this 5050 looks sharper. color this 5050 puts out pure color with no noise a lot better than the 5040 you can push it up and it stays rich and full.high lamp mode is not as loud as the 4050 a plus! and with the filter dare i say canon like it feels like i am getting more than the 1100 nits tested. lazier dlp impress me with color pop in the mid range when its dialed in i think this thing has more. you will watch animated flims with amazement!with the 5040 i never could get anything with out using the color filter to hold me for the long game well with animal i used the bw mode and got a color balance that made throw my fist the air reds greens blue all balanced and in eco mode i could do this and never feel a need to use the filter! last lets talk about the blacks! on the 5040 i thought i arrived at a picture that could not get any better the blacks where velvet and the reason i picked on the old school jvc.(the force wil not be with me:) witth the 5050 after i dailed it in i didnt the same look or photo like look but after a while i notice the picture was better way better.how i started to notice things in the picture i never notice before like all that velvet black was not velvet after all.(what the hell is this fool talking about!) well those blacks we all adore have shades a vast amount off shades of color. yes color in the blacks not just dark old school jvc like blacks.what ever is going on with the new pixel ****(not a typo) it works not only for mid range color that is noise free but color in black! black bars for are a little darker than the 5040 with less light bleed another plus.if you are on the fence about getting this projector once dialed in you will be forever happy and also once dial in the hdr brightness control is all you will need from movie to movie.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anybody have experience with this particular ceiling mount? I've been using this for approx 5 years with an Epson 2030, which is orders of magnitude smaller than the 5050 I just ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067OOHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use that mount. Works for me. I’m sure there are better mounts. When I looked at specifications weight seems to very close to limit. I inherited the mount from previous home owner. Currently have 5050ub mounted using it. I’ve never had different mount so can’t say how it might compare. I do have to add that there is a bit of play in it. If the projector is bumped hard I have to tweak the mount and lens shift. It doesn’t seem to drift over time just when bumped. This may have to do with the above ceiling setup more than the mount it self. Cardboard is involved which seems like a bad idea. See images. Hmm does the image function not work. I added some but they don’t show up. I added a link which works. I’ve already spent to much of my life troubleshooting tech issues. That will have to do.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/f36d5cca197c450b88480a8c2293fc94

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use that mount. Works for me. I’m sure there are better mounts. When I looked at specifications weight seems to very close to limit. I inherited the mount from previous home owner. Currently have 5050ub mounted using it. I’ve never had different mount so can’t say how it might compare. Hmm does the image function not work. I added some but they don’t show up.

Fantastic, thank you! I can’t see the images you added

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Anybody have experience with this particular ceiling mount? I've been using this for approx 5 years with an Epson 2030, which is orders of magnitude smaller than the 5050 I just ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067OOHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5050 is 24.7lbs and that mount is rated for 30.

I would spend a little for a sturdier mount. Been talked about here and other UB series threads.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3103324-what-ceiling-mount-did-you-use-epson-5040-a.html

·
Registered
576 Posts
well i just got my 5050 last night. out the box it was just bad my 5040 with all its custom settings just blew it out the box.on my 5040 which i had for 2+ years was finally dialed in within the last two days to give me some off the most impressive photo or old school jvc like gama?i thought well when the 5050 shows up i would just send it back and spend the extra money and go with the jvc nx5 as the sony sony 295 did not impress me. that boy wonder took over and i opened up 5050 know it would cost me 405 dollars plus the cost of the new projector! out the box it was a nightmare too soft,no velvet blacks,no photo or oled like pop it was brighter a plus over all not happy at all!when i switched to normal edid i lost the picture and was greeted with a dark black screen and a large round green tinted black,it wasn't a dust blob.i said to my self just lost 405 dollars and wondered it the jvc could beat what i was getting from 5040 if any projector for that matter! i plugged in advance cms setting from projecttorreview it looked better but still soft and flat like the sony 295 i saw at bestbuy.i pushed on that boy wounder in me time to play and apply what i learned in the last 3 nights with the 5040.folks let me tell you words just cant explain,dont worry about ek 4k or all the other stuff get this monster it is that good and better than the 5040 and dare i say anything in the 10000 dollar range or equal! my set up using a old school hp 2.8 screen 16.9 106 inch projector just over my seated position about 15 feet away.trip lite power 120v reg plugged into av and projector living room with large opening into foyer behind me. ruko and panny 420 4kblue ray,and sony 4kblue ray palyer. with the ruko i could get 4k hdr at 10 bit444 60 frames but found 4k hdr 8bit 420 at 59.5 to be more stable but at the cost of banning but less than what i getting with the 5040 also note this is with edit set to normal. with the panny i got 4k 12 bit444 at 24 with edit set to expanded no banning at all even with amazon wish they would add vudo app. the sony did not try but will use that for 1080p blue ray with up conversion to 4k why it just does it better than anything else even better than epson well it did on my 5040? on the 5040 gamma go up on the 5050 it goes down mid range leave it alone just the bottom and a little at the top. rgb 48,47,47 gain colors become rich bring up the color start above 55 match what you get on your tv go up close you will see what mean.you can drop the brightness down below 50 or raise to 55 like what i used for the 5040 .some may say why not give exact settings i rather point you and let you learn so you can answer your own question! now for the picture,back in the day jvc was able apply a gamma curve that gave the best blacks or a dark flim like look(i know the hate will come so be it!)with the event of hdr there new projectors dont have that same look why because with hdr it just does not work and the new nx models are more like all new projectors.i say this because its all about the controls or tools and wih that understanding(more hate)you can get to the same place as long as the machine has the tools! and folks the 5050 has it all! the sharpness with the best source source set to 5 will compete with true native 4k. my friend has a sony 295 and this 5050 looks sharper. color this 5050 puts out pure color with no noise a lot better than the 5040 you can push it up and it stays rich and full.high lamp mode is not as loud as the 4050 a plus! and with the filter dare i say canon like it feels like i am getting more than the 1100 nits tested. lazier dlp impress me with color pop in the mid range when its dialed in i think this thing has more. you will watch animated flims with amazement!with the 5040 i never could get anything with out using the color filter to hold me for the long game well with animal i used the bw mode and got a color balance that made throw my fist the air reds greens blue all balanced and in eco mode i could do this and never feel a need to use the filter! last lets talk about the blacks! on the 5040 i thought i arrived at a picture that could not get any better the blacks where velvet and the reason i picked on the old school jvc.(the force wil not be with me:) witth the 5050 after i dailed it in i didnt the same look or photo like look but after a while i notice the picture was better way better.how i started to notice things in the picture i never notice before like all that velvet black was not velvet after all.(what the hell is this fool talking about!) well those blacks we all adore have shades a vast amount off shades of color. yes color in the blacks not just dark old school jvc like blacks.what ever is going on with the new pixel ****(not a typo) it works not only for mid range color that is noise free but color in black! black bars for are a little darker than the 5040 with less light bleed another plus.if you are on the fence about getting this projector once dialed in you will be forever happy and also once dial in the hdr brightness control is all you will need from movie to movie.

Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
i know had nothing to do lol.trying to stay in the house witn this virus stuff and also trying to convince myself its better sorry.
It was like one really big run on sentence and kind of hard to read and fallow for me. So do you like the 5050 or not is my question.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i know had nothing to do lol.trying to stay in the house witn this virus stuff and also trying to convince myself its better sorry.
You seem like a very nice and genuine person.

I found that when doing long posts, splitting them into paragraphs and using properly placed commas and periods goes a long way into giving clarity to the reader.

I think you have a lot of good info there. If you do the above, more can benefit from your experience. Not everyone is Shakespeare, so just do your best. Just a suggestion, so you're not obligated in any way.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You seem like a very nice and genuine person.

I found that when doing long posts, splitting them into paragraphs and using properly placed commas and periods goes a long way into giving clarity to the reader.

I think you have a lot of good info there. If you do the above, more can benefit from your experience. Not everyone is Shakespeare, so just do your best. Just a suggestion, so you're not obligated in any way.
thanks a lot.happy members are kind!lol:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Epson 5040 never had deep blacks. It's native contrast is close to 5,000:1. I'm glad you like your Epson 5050UB. I've seen the Epson 6050UB which is a very good projector. But it does not have deep blacks either. I'm not sure what your frame of reference is but comparing Epson's blacks to JVC blacks is not a fair comparison. Epson's blacks are comparable to a midrange TV. They are decent, but not deep enough create depth to image. And Epson's blacks are certainly not deep enough to be considered ultra black, deep black, inky black, or any other likewise adjective.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,476 Posts
Has anyone ordered from here? Do you think this is worth trying out? Thanks

https://syfabrics.com/products/plush-triple-velvet1

It has been the "go to" place to get excellent Black Velvet. Recently someone did find another source that was marginally less expensive....but no word as of yet what they received when they ordered.

Others still go to JoAnns or similar outlets when the stuff is on sale (only when!) but the Sy's BV is by far the most dependable in quality and price.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,476 Posts
@reechings

With things beign so convoluted, and my fielding so many requests as of late for information on a variety of DIY and Projectors inquiries, I can't recall if I answered your recent PM, but here is the Dark Neutral Grey for you to consider on your Room surfaces. Great as a better looking substitute for Black on a Ceiling...and just as effective. At a half shade it works well for Walls, and for a unified cosmetic look, the Dark Grey in a Eggshell Oil Based Enamel applied to the Wood trim (Baseboards, Window Trim and Doors)

Or painting Walls a "deep Flat saturated Red" and matching it up with the Dark Grey Ceiling and Trim creates a really classy look that also suppresses reflections.

Only when your Screen's edges encroach upon a Wall or Ceiling surface within less than 8" - 6" does Black Velvet need to take over...and if the rest of the surface is painted Dark Grey or Dark Red you only need one width of the Black Velvet.

Attachments

5841 - 5860 of 8066 Posts