AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 10489 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Appreciate the tip. Sucks we cant use frame interpolation while pixel shifting.

That should have been the first thing Epson upgraded with this new model. It kills me that I can’t even watch 4K on Low FI. It would look so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread

I reckon it’s something to do with the way your PC is configured or the graphics card used, I take you you have tried the same disc in the PC.

The difference between Normal and Enhance is normal is for source that only for 4K 30Hz and expanded for 4K 60Hz

Alright. Now I’m really stumped. I took the hdmi going direct from the AVR to the Epson and landed it directly to my pc. Now I get native 4K with EDID set to Expanded. I’m lost........ No AVR in the chain and I get native 4K with Expanded

·
Registered
261 Posts
Need some input as I was planning on getting a benq 3550 for the last couple months but to many issues for me to go that route. I know the epson costs more but hear that blacks are just amazing. My concern here is whether the 4ke is enough pixels for me. So would the epson 5050 look any less sharp that a 1080 4x shift 4K projector on a 120 inch screen at a distance of 12-15 feet. On other words how close can you away and not notice any more sharpness. I heard 4K is 9 feet on 120 inches and yeah I don’t need to be that close. So if the epson gets perfect. At 12 feet or so then I can handle it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Somehow, I have Frame Interpolation on Low....AND 4K Enhancement ON. At the same time.
???

I thought this wasn't possible on the 5050? I'm in heaven right now. Seeing this while testing a 1080p bluray version of Prometheus. :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Need some input as I was planning on getting a benq 3550 for the last couple months but to many issues for me to go that route. I know the epson costs more but hear that blacks are just amazing. My concern here is whether the 4ke is enough pixels for me. So would the epson 5050 look any less sharp that a 1080 4x shift 4K projector on a 120 inch screen at a distance of 12-15 feet. On other words how close can you away and not notice any more sharpness. I heard 4K is 9 feet on 120 inches and yeah I don’t need to be that close. So if the epson gets perfect. At 12 feet or so then I can handle it.
I just bought the 5050 and been testing it for the past two days. I'm coming from a BenQ 2050.

I can't testify to the sharpness, but I can certainly say that its plenty of pixels. Pixel-wise, PLENTY. I'm not longing for any more pixels/resolution. The one thing I'm attempting to iron out is if I am seeing any judder, or just been reviewing the 5050 for too long. I notice when I see letters and numbers on my PC, that they come in just a hair blurry. I'm guessing the pixel shift doesn't play nice with very small text.

I'm on a 118" screen btw.

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,185 Posts
Any 5050 owners who were 5040 owners can you comment on any differences with 3D such as ghosting?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just bought the 5050 and been testing it for the past two days. I'm coming from a BenQ 2050.

I can't testify to the sharpness, but I can certainly say that its plenty of pixels. Pixel-wise, PLENTY. I'm not longing for any more pixels/resolution. The one thing I'm attempting to iron out is if I am seeing any judder, or just been reviewing the 5050 for too long. I notice when I see letters and numbers on my PC, that they come in just a hair blurry. I'm guessing the pixel shift doesn't play nice with very small text.

I'm on a 118" screen btw.
It’s also possible you might just need to do an alignment run on your panels. If the alignment is off it can show up as a bit blurry or ghosty, but I haven’t tried to look at hair thin pc letters at 4k

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Alright. Now I’m really stumped. I took the hdmi going direct from the AVR to the Epson and landed it directly to my pc. Now I get native 4K with EDID set to Expanded. I’m lost........ No AVR in the chain and I get native 4K with Expanded

Ok well then as I originally thought there is a setting in the HDMI input menu on your AVR to set the spec of said input. My Sony has this, see link to manual.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1264431/Sony-Str-Dn1080.html?page=40#manual

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread

Ok well then as I originally thought there is a setting in the HDMI input menu on your AVR to set the spec of said input. My Sony has this, see link to manual.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1264431/Sony-Str-Dn1080.html?page=40#manual

Thanks for the link and suggestion.

I do have a question. If it is in the HDMI input of my AVR, why is it only happening with my PC and not my Xbox, PS4, Roku or Panasonic 4K Player?

*Edit* The HDMI Mode you’re referring to from your Manual, I’ve already checked on mine. For a full 4K HDR signal it has to be in HDMI Mode 1, which it is. That’s why I said I tried both modes just to see if it makes a difference. If I switch to Mode 2 then nothing works like it’s supposed to.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Somehow, I have Frame Interpolation on Low....AND 4K Enhancement ON. At the same time.
???

I thought this wasn't possible on the 5050? I'm in heaven right now. Seeing this while testing a 1080p bluray version of Prometheus. :cool:
I think I read in AVForum that firmware 1.01 enables this, but I might be wrong. I was unable to get 1.01 to install on mine and am going to wait until the next release to try again as I don't really use FI.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Thanks for the link and suggestion.

I do have a question. If it is in the HDMI input of my AVR, why is it only happening with my PC and not my Xbox, PS4, Roku or Panasonic 4K Player?

*Edit* The HDMI Mode you’re referring to from your Manual, I’ve already checked on mine. For a full 4K HDR signal it has to be in HDMI Mode 1, which it is. That’s why I said I tried both modes just to see if it makes a difference. If I switch to Mode 2 then nothing works like it’s supposed to.

Ok, I thought it was the output rather than input, in that case I’m stumped like yourself.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ok, I thought it was the output rather than input, in that case I’m stumped like yourself.

Back to the drawing board. There’s some kind of incompatibility between my PC and AVR. Just need to figure out where. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
???

When you go into settings and about, what is the firmware version number?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Back to the drawing board. There’s some kind of incompatibility between my PC and AVR. Just need to figure out where. Thanks for your help.

Sorry if you've already answered this but I didn't go back through the thread. Do you know what the signal is coming out of your computer...ie, 1080, 24hz? Are you sure your computer supports HDMI? It's not unheard of for computers to have a port that isn't fully supported by the internal hardware. Have you tried connecting to PC port (VGA)? Hope something there is helpful.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Sorry if you've already answered this but I didn't go back through the thread. Do you know what the signal is coming out of your computer...ie, 1080, 24hz? Are you sure your computer supports HDMI? It's not unheard of for computers to have a port that isn't fully supported by the internal hardware. Have you tried connecting to PC port (VGA)? Hope something there is helpful.

Hey no worries. I appreciate the help!

My video card is a 1080Ti and it has two hdmi outputs. I’ve tried both and it sends a 1080p 60 hz signal. If I run the projector directly to my PC, it outputs 4K 60hz and HDR. There’s some issue between the PC and receiver. All my other devices work perfectly hooked up through my receiver and send a 4K 60hz HDR signal.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

At least you now know the Epson is OK as is the PC, hopefully someone over on the Amp section of the forum can help you out as I am not that familiar with Yamaha amps.

Reactions: JonfromCB

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Has anyone successfully registered their 5050 on Epson's website? For me it won't accept the final character of the s/n and fails.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So after a few solid days playing with my Epson 5050.... I'm getting worried. This is my impression/findings. To start, I have a 118" 16:9 screen in a light controlled theater room with black velvet walls and ceiling. I am coming from a BenQ 2050.

The epson's resolution was very good. The color accuracy and use of HRD is fantastic. I want to like this projector oh, so much. I am using Alaric's calibrated settings. When watching movies, during scenes with movement, I felt like my eyes kept tracking, which causes a mild headache. I never experienced this on my BenQ. The image is all around stunning, except for this ever so faint judder that I cant see unless I'm looking for it, but it begins to give me a headache.

I switched over to my PC and noticed text has an ever so slight blur. I noticed this more when viewing my clock on the bottom right side. Text in the middle was almost perfect, but there was a faint blur. Still gave me a headache. The old BenQ 2050 never had this issue. The text was always crystal clear.

I really really want to like this projector, because on paper it hits everything I am looking for. However, this motion/judder is something I cant see myself living with. I have tried using FI on low, but I am just not a fan of the soap opera effect. I am going to try a few more settings and play a bit more before making a verdict, but I am leaning on returning it. I'll have to take the return restocking fee as a lesson learned.

I am sure this is a great projector for somoene that 1. doesnt notice faint judder, 2. doesnt use a lot of text based applications on a PC. :(

681 - 700 of 10489 Posts