AVS Forum banner

7281 - 7300 of 8117 Posts

·
Registered
16,486 Posts
There are way too many variables to be making image assessments based upon screen 'shots', especially from different environments (lighting, wall color, etc.) , setups (screen, gear, settings, etc.) and capture devices (camera vs. phone). Then add in the display that everyone is viewing the uploaded images on (properly calibrated display?), even if we all had mastering monitors there would still be all the previous variables.

Yeah, I know it's still fun to look at screenshots. :D

- Jason

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would love to get anyone's impressions of the 5050 or 6050 versus a JVC RS500, 520 or 540. I have an RS500 calibrated on a 2.35:1 170" screen in a dedicated dark theater (batcave). Yes, too much screen but I love the size at about 16' away for the main center chairs and maybe 11' at the closest for right side chair. Just too little light output to really swing HDR well, even with a great HDR curve to get the most out of my projector, calibrated in January. I love the JVC image, but need more horsepower. SDR with a strong bulb is good, but I always could use more lumens. :)

I have considered the new JVCs, but I think too heavy for my current ceiling setup, probably too expensive for not enough improvement in what I get, and not bright enough. Giving up dark, dark blacks would be tough.

Any thoughts after this new firmware would be much appreciated as well!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I would love to get anyone's impressions of the 5050 or 6050 versus a JVC RS500, 520 or 540. I have an RS500 calibrated on a 2.35:1 170" screen in a dedicated dark theater (batcave). Yes, too much screen but I love the size at about 16' away for the main center chairs and maybe 11' at the closest for right side chair. Just too little light output to really swing HDR well, even with a great HDR curve to get the most out of my projector, calibrated in January. I love the JVC image, but need more horsepower. SDR with a strong bulb is good, but I always could use more lumens. :)

I have considered the new JVCs, but I think too heavy for my current ceiling setup, probably too expensive for not enough improvement in what I get, and not bright enough. Giving up dark, dark blacks would be tough.

What about a positive gain screen, or paint (applied on wall or a white screen)?

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's a Carada BW (Close to 1.3 gain, but usually thought to be 1.1-1.2) 2.35:1 at 170". I'm more interested in upgrading projector and fiddling with screen. I also use a Cinevista anamorphic lens to get a little more light but... still would like more.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
It's a Carada BW (Close to 1.3 gain, but usually thought to be 1.1-1.2) 2.35:1 at 170". I'm more interested in upgrading projector and fiddling with screen. I also use a Cinevista anamorphic lens to get a little more light but... still would like more.
The problem is that projectors capable of good picture quality are not that bright, unless you look at much more expensive units.

The screen does seem to have ~1.3 gain, which is about the limit of what's recommended, in general.

Maybe build a hush box and use whatever projector in High lamp.

·
Registered
133 Posts
While there is some variance in preference I can assure you that the 6050UB is not substandard in any way.

There needs to be some configuration with the projector, player and source, it's not exactly plug and play.

What does dedicated room mean?

Color of walls, ambient light?

Screen size and fabric?

How far away are you sitting?

Source?
What does dedicated room mean? Cinema room, fully light controlled.

Color of walls, ambient light? Dark dark red on the side, matte black around the screen. Both light absorbing paints that are used in commercial cinemas

Screen size and fabric? 128" screen details here https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Products/Projector-Screens-Home-Theater-cinema/Fixed-Frame-Screens/ComteVision-16-9-CF2-5-Series-Fixed-__I.291896__C.27680__N.27756

How far away are you sitting? Depends on what row of seating I am sitting in.

Source? PC, 4K UHD movies, uncompressed with original quality.

Have done a plethora of calibration settings, from what I've found in professional reviews to what has been posted throughout this thread.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here goes. HDR calibration complete confusion. SDR went smooth but im lost in all the variables of the HDR world.
I have an epson 5050ub, and will use the lastest i1 display pro plus. 1- I want to use the internal HCFR pattern generator for HDR10. What settings need to be set in order to ensure the PC, rz830 reciever and 5050ub are all synced together to ensure proper readings ? 2- this projector does 100% of the DCI-P3. Im not sure what that means? Should I be choosing REC.2020 CIE graph?.REC.2020/P3? or something else? 3- Gamma. I understand there is no standard and the curve is not liner. I should have an S shape and need to selet st.2084? What other settings need manual adjusting or overide to match my projectors capabilities? 4- tone mapping. My projector has an HDR button that allows me to select from 0 to 16 ( 16 being the darkest ) how I view my HDR content. Its adjustable on the fly. How do I know what to set this to? How do I know which setting to start calibrating on? 5- contrast, brightness color and tint. For SDR I initially used clipping patterns to set contrast and brightness. From what I understand I should NOT adjust this at all for HDR? And leave them at the default of 50? Color and tint could be adjusted if needed when doing CMS? Thats all for now....but im sure ill have more questions as I go. Thank you !

·
Registered
223 Posts

I'm looking for thoughts from someone who has used a JVC RS500,520 or 540 compared to the 5050 or 6050, especially in regards to a big screen. I have a Carada BW 170" 1.3 gain screen.

How would the new firmware affect this?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
What does dedicated room mean? Cinema room, fully light controlled.

Color of walls, ambient light? Dark dark red on the side, matte black around the screen. Both light absorbing paints that are used in commercial cinemas

Screen size and fabric? 128" screen details here https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Products/Projector-Screens-Home-Theater-cinema/Fixed-Frame-Screens/ComteVision-16-9-CF2-5-Series-Fixed-__I.291896__C.27680__N.27756

How far away are you sitting? Depends on what row of seating I am sitting in.

Source? PC, 4K UHD movies, uncompressed with original quality.

Have done a plethora of calibration settings, from what I've found in professional reviews to what has been posted throughout this thread.
I assume the ceiling is treated and the screen is white?

So how far away are the rows?

Each projector is unique and settings don't always apply, and might make things worse. Since I don't have a UB series maybe ask some of the other users with some startup settings. Or get a calibration disc like a Disney WOW, or S&M.
This one as well, but no HDR help:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

What player/software is being used on the PC? OS, GPU?

Do the screenshots on this thread look ok?
Check out this thread as well, Luminated67 has a TW9400 (non US 6050):
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3137626-projector-screenshot-eye-candy-thread-19.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
I currently sit 9.5ft away from my 100” screen, looks great to my eyes.
Good to know! I'm pretty set on the 5050 I think, NX5 looks great but out of price range for now I think.

Last thing I'm checking is the screen, I was set on the Elite Screens Aeon AUHD 100" but saw the minimum recommended viewing distance is 1.5 x screen width - closer than that will I notice texture or anything? Anyone with experience with this screen?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I currently sit 9.5ft away from my 100” screen, looks great to my eyes.
Good to know! I'm pretty set on the 5050 I think, NX5 looks great but out of price range for now I think.

Last thing I'm checking is the screen, I was set on the Elite Screens Aeon AUHD 100" but saw the minimum recommended viewing distance is 1.5 x screen width - closer than that will I notice texture or anything? Anyone with experience with this screen?
Yes i have this exact screen. In bright sceens you will notice texture

·
Registered
36 Posts
What is available for 3D glasses for this projector? Seems like Epson glasses have become a collectors item. Want to watch Prometheus in 3D.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
What is available for 3D glasses for this projector? Seems like Epson glasses have become a collectors item. Want to watch Prometheus in 3D.
Use the thread search button. This question has been asked a million times already.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
This 1.03 firmware...

Where do I find it? Epson only has the 1.01 posted for download.

Does it work on all models/regions 5050 and 6050? Install instructions?

Last but not least what improvements are made?

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought it would only be fair to post some of my settings. I am waiting patiently to see what some of the calibrator have found with this new firmware update. I am not a calibrator . Just wanted to show how little black crush the unit has. Notice I am at brightness 46! Med lamp.slider 8. On gamma2. And my apl is really good.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Just out of interest, what film is this?

7281 - 7300 of 8117 Posts