AVS Forum banner

9721 - 9740 of 9931 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
It was set to automatic. Any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Check your internet speed for the app. It might not be high enough to support 4K and thus automatically down rez's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Check your internet speed for the app. It might not be high enough to support 4K and thus automatically down rez's.
You can check the speed for a specific app? The connection and speed are fine overall. I have 200mb/s with a good connection. And once it's "set" on 4k it plays flawlessly.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You can check the speed for a specific app? The connection and speed are fine overall. I have 200mb/s with a good connection. And once it's "set" on 4k it plays flawlessly.

I meant for the streaming device, not app. My Roku Ultra is getting 92Mps via a 50' ethernet cable from my router on a 200Mps FiOS plan. Prior to the wired ethernet connection, my Ultra was getting 12-16Mps via WiFi and often the streaming 4k video signals would drop or down-rez on the fly. My other devices are getting <20Mps, via an extender in my basement but they seem fine for 1080p streams and only occasionally drop for a few seconds.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I meant for the streaming device, not app. My Roku Ultra is getting 92Mps via a 50' ethernet cable from my router on a 200Mps FiOS plan. Prior to the wired ethernet connection, my Ultra was getting 12-16Mps via WiFi and often the streaming 4k video signals would drop or down-rez on the fly. My other devices are getting

Got it. Thank you! I'll look into that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
9723 posts and counting. Now one more, my first one. Hi everyone! A belated Happy New Year!
I started lurking just 2 weeks ago, when my projector arrived. I have to apologize, I didn't read this whole thread. I read the first few pages, and the last few pages. And actually some pages in between, when I was searching for info and found this place.

I got my first projector in 2003, a Philips with 854x480 lcd and contrast ratio of 500:1.
Yes, blacks were dark-ish grey, and whites were lighter grey. Uphill, both ways, barefoot, in the snow, and we liked it that way.
Anyway, that one gave out to a weird lamp problem short of 3 years of service, and I'd bought it with 3 years warranty for over 2000 USD (well, 2500CHF), but they claimed it was a printing error... (I was actually employed at Philips at the time, got the employee shop rebate, going price was 3500CHF, and wasn't going to get into legal action to a different part of my employer). So then I needed a new one.
Which was the Sanyo PLV-Z4 (just before the Z5 came out, I regretted I didn't wait but didn't know at the time). 720p, awesome! And what, 15 times better contrast values! And 1000 ANSI lumens!

It still works, but due to the family situation, we had to cancel the study / computer / home theatre room (needed one more bedroom), so as some have mentioned even in this thread, life is about compromises sometimes, I put forth the compromise to accept not having the computer / home theatre room, but then I'd make a home cinema setup in the living room, including a new projector.
BTW we have no TV.

We used to project on a wall with a not so smooth surface, from 3.5 meters away, the projector placed behind us and centered at the top end of the screen.
Audio system: Logitech Z906 5.1. PC: home-built AMD, running linux.

First I transferred the audio system to the living room, attached it to the headless server (AMD Ryzen 5 / 2400G) which actually rarely had to drive a monitor. I did pay attention to get a system with DP1.2 which can do RGB [email protected] Hz, amongst other things (it also has HDMI 1.4 or so, officially limited to [email protected]).
Had to put the projector (still the Sanyo) at the side of the opposing wall, so now projecting sideways and down. The HDMI cable I have is not 5 cm longer than necessary (pc on the ground behind the sofa, projector on its shelf aside and above the sofa.

For perfectionists, the following lines may be hard to read, please feel free to skip if you're not feeling well due to what you read.
The projection wall is actually one of the sides of the room with windows... 3 of them, plus the balcony door. I made a black curtain (well, delegated it to the child that got the bedroom) and a white 12USD cloth (portable projector screen, they call it) off AliExpress. So now we can close the blinds, draw the black curtain and the white screen, I have to fiddle with the screen to tense it, it's quite laborious for the moment. It will be worse / different, because the mrs insists it cannot stay up, it's blocking too much light. Manufacturing of the stowaway solution is yet to begin, the design phase is still underway.
Anyway, as stated, life is full of compromises...

I got the 5.1 sound going, took quite some effort, since another pc account plays internet radio, and having 2 different accounts use the audio outputs at the same time is not straightforward.
Also got the system working as BT speakers, so my kids can play back stuff on the home hifi.

Got the ir remotes working (the old system had a built-in PCI tv card, Hauppauge WinTV-FM, and I wanted to use the same remote with this pc, which has a USB TV-stick by TechnoTrend), the regular one was easy, the old one from the other system took a bit more effort, but I got my mplayer configured for that one since almost 20 years, and it's just right...

And then the new projector arrived.
First shock (after realizing that my HDMI cable was too short to reach the socket, which got remedied by putting the pc on 5cm of elevating stuff): the sideways plus downward lens shift range of the Z4 was way bigger, I'd calculated and determined that it should work in the setup I had made (shelf above, gasp, the heating, in the corner), the 9400 just couldn't shift enough..!
Well, in all honesty, the screen is slightly more to the left than planned, due to there being a christmas tree in the room. Yeah, a recurring theme, these compromises... ;-)

Also: it was so heavy, and I leaned too much on the shelf, that the shelf almost came off. It was hanging on for dear life (not really, just looked terribly crooked), and I only just got that fixed.
The projector is so much bigger than the Z4 that we now call it Darth Beamer.
(Looks more like the Dark Knight's car if you ask me, but anyway...)

Then: the pc would sometimes not find the projector, so I had troubles to get an image going. Likely a cable plugging issue, it's since behaved nicely.

Some really good news: though the motherboard vendor specifies max 30Hz from the HDMI port at 4k, I get 60 Hz. Confirmed by the OS and the projector.
Good thing, because my DP to HDMI [email protected] cable (actually advertised as [email protected], but not sure if that is real) is affected by a Covid19 delay.
And the [email protected] DP male to HDMI female adapter only does [email protected]

Now, to my experience:
Black is almost black, instead of dark grey on the Z4 (instead of darkish grey on the Philips), white is very bright, the resolution even at FHD / 1080p is great, and the family consensus is: we should have upgraded ages ago...
I don't know what I did, but at some point the skin colours went way off, so I reset everything. I hadn't actually configured that much, so no big loss. I still am curious to what I messed up.
Anyway, the noise level of the fan is ok at eco mode. It's an important point for me, I don't know how people can seriously sell home cinema projectors with over 25dBA noise levels.
The iris of the Z4 was noisy, so I turned it off. I have the 9400 iris on auto atm, if it bothers me I'll turn it off.

I'm perfectly happy about the black levels, I've always found it amazing that the white wall we were projecting on was actually supposed to be the blackest black of the movie. Which also explains that the whole family has the view that all lights should be off, even though the 9400 does quite okay with a bit of side light.
Now we at least have a black surrounding directly around the screen.
Human colour vision is very relative anyway.

I'm very picky on certain artefacts, had lots of problems with the video drivers, had tearing in the otherwise optimal mode. None of my family members noticed, but I did, and it ruins the experience for me (as in I have to watch WW84 again since I just looked for tearing and got depressed, while the family watched and seriously enjoyed the movie).
I was looking into 10bit and such, but for me and for now, 8bit rgb (4:4:4) will do fine, I'm not so picky on banding. Have yet to notice it during a movie on the 9400, actually.

Next I will be looking at 3d. I've only seen a handful of 3d movies, but I'd really like to see Avatar again in 3d. Don't care too much if it doesn't go well, but it might be fun.
Ordered some glasses, I'll see how that goes.

One question I have is: it seems 3d is done with 1080p side by side sbs or top over bottom tob (or whatever it's called) at 60Hz. Why don't they do [email protected] Hz sbs + tob (4 full HD frames, 2 left and 2 right images, at 30Hz)? It would double the resolution at the same frame rate - true full hd per eye at 60 Hz, instead of half FHD per eye at 60Hz. It just seems wrong...

Anyway, that's it from my side for now. Happy viewing!
;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
9723 posts and counting. Now one more, my first one. Hi everyone! A belated Happy New Year!
I started lurking just 2 weeks ago, when my projector arrived. I have to apologize, I didn't read this whole thread. I read the first few pages, and the last few pages. And actually some pages in between, when I was searching for info and found this place.

I got my first projector in 2003, a Philips with 854x480 lcd and contrast ratio of 500:1.
Yes, blacks were dark-ish grey, and whites were lighter grey. Uphill, both ways, barefoot, in the snow, and we liked it that way.
Anyway, that one gave out to a weird lamp problem short of 3 years of service, and I'd bought it with 3 years warranty for over 2000 USD (well, 2500CHF), but they claimed it was a printing error... (I was actually employed at Philips at the time, got the employee shop rebate, going price was 3500CHF, and wasn't going to get into legal action to a different part of my employer). So then I needed a new one.
Which was the Sanyo PLV-Z4 (just before the Z5 came out, I regretted I didn't wait but didn't know at the time). 720p, awesome! And what, 15 times better contrast values! And 1000 ANSI lumens!

It still works, but due to the family situation, we had to cancel the study / computer / home theatre room (needed one more bedroom), so as some have mentioned even in this thread, life is about compromises sometimes, I put forth the compromise to accept not having the computer / home theatre room, but then I'd make a home cinema setup in the living room, including a new projector.
BTW we have no TV.

We used to project on a wall with a not so smooth surface, from 3.5 meters away, the projector placed behind us and centered at the top end of the screen.
Audio system: Logitech Z906 5.1. PC: home-built AMD, running linux.

First I transferred the audio system to the living room, attached it to the headless server (AMD Ryzen 5 / 2400G) which actually rarely had to drive a monitor. I did pay attention to get a system with DP1.2 which can do RGB [email protected] Hz, amongst other things (it also has HDMI 1.4 or so, officially limited to [email protected]).
Had to put the projector (still the Sanyo) at the side of the opposing wall, so now projecting sideways and down. The HDMI cable I have is not 5 cm longer than necessary (pc on the ground behind the sofa, projector on its shelf aside and above the sofa.

For perfectionists, the following lines may be hard to read, please feel free to skip if you're not feeling well due to what you read.
The projection wall is actually one of the sides of the room with windows... 3 of them, plus the balcony door. I made a black curtain (well, delegated it to the child that got the bedroom) and a white 12USD cloth (portable projector screen, they call it) off AliExpress. So now we can close the blinds, draw the black curtain and the white screen, I have to fiddle with the screen to tense it, it's quite laborious for the moment. It will be worse / different, because the mrs insists it cannot stay up, it's blocking too much light. Manufacturing of the stowaway solution is yet to begin, the design phase is still underway.
Anyway, as stated, life is full of compromises...

I got the 5.1 sound going, took quite some effort, since another pc account plays internet radio, and having 2 different accounts use the audio outputs at the same time is not straightforward.
Also got the system working as BT speakers, so my kids can play back stuff on the home hifi.

Got the ir remotes working (the old system had a built-in PCI tv card, Hauppauge WinTV-FM, and I wanted to use the same remote with this pc, which has a USB TV-stick by TechnoTrend), the regular one was easy, the old one from the other system took a bit more effort, but I got my mplayer configured for that one since almost 20 years, and it's just right...

And then the new projector arrived.
First shock (after realizing that my HDMI cable was too short to reach the socket, which got remedied by putting the pc on 5cm of elevating stuff): the sideways plus downward lens shift range of the Z4 was way bigger, I'd calculated and determined that it should work in the setup I had made (shelf above, gasp, the heating, in the corner), the 9400 just couldn't shift enough..!
Well, in all honesty, the screen is slightly more to the left than planned, due to there being a christmas tree in the room. Yeah, a recurring theme, these compromises... ;-)

Also: it was so heavy, and I leaned too much on the shelf, that the shelf almost came off. It was hanging on for dear life (not really, just looked terribly crooked), and I only just got that fixed.
The projector is so much bigger than the Z4 that we now call it Darth Beamer.
(Looks more like the Dark Knight's car if you ask me, but anyway...)

Then: the pc would sometimes not find the projector, so I had troubles to get an image going. Likely a cable plugging issue, it's since behaved nicely.

Some really good news: though the motherboard vendor specifies max 30Hz from the HDMI port at 4k, I get 60 Hz. Confirmed by the OS and the projector.
Good thing, because my DP to HDMI [email protected] cable (actually advertised as [email protected], but not sure if that is real) is affected by a Covid19 delay.
And the [email protected] DP male to HDMI female adapter only does [email protected]

Now, to my experience:
Black is almost black, instead of dark grey on the Z4 (instead of darkish grey on the Philips), white is very bright, the resolution even at FHD / 1080p is great, and the family consensus is: we should have upgraded ages ago...
I don't know what I did, but at some point the skin colours went way off, so I reset everything. I hadn't actually configured that much, so no big loss. I still am curious to what I messed up.
Anyway, the noise level of the fan is ok at eco mode. It's an important point for me, I don't know how people can seriously sell home cinema projectors with over 25dBA noise levels.
The iris of the Z4 was noisy, so I turned it off. I have the 9400 iris on auto atm, if it bothers me I'll turn it off.

I'm perfectly happy about the black levels, I've always found it amazing that the white wall we were projecting on was actually supposed to be the blackest black of the movie. Which also explains that the whole family has the view that all lights should be off, even though the 9400 does quite okay with a bit of side light.
Now we at least have a black surrounding directly around the screen.
Human colour vision is very relative anyway.

I'm very picky on certain artefacts, had lots of problems with the video drivers, had tearing in the otherwise optimal mode. None of my family members noticed, but I did, and it ruins the experience for me (as in I have to watch WW84 again since I just looked for tearing and got depressed, while the family watched and seriously enjoyed the movie).
I was looking into 10bit and such, but for me and for now, 8bit rgb (4:4:4) will do fine, I'm not so picky on banding. Have yet to notice it during a movie on the 9400, actually.

Next I will be looking at 3d. I've only seen a handful of 3d movies, but I'd really like to see Avatar again in 3d. Don't care too much if it doesn't go well, but it might be fun.
Ordered some glasses, I'll see how that goes.

One question I have is: it seems 3d is done with 1080p side by side sbs or top over bottom tob (or whatever it's called) at 60Hz. Why don't they do [email protected] Hz sbs + tob (4 full HD frames, 2 left and 2 right images, at 30Hz)? It would double the resolution at the same frame rate - true full hd per eye at 60 Hz, instead of half FHD per eye at 60Hz. It just seems wrong...

Anyway, that's it from my side for now. Happy viewing!
;-)
Hi,
I don't have my 5050UB yet but I know a bit about 3D. For 3D Blu-rays, it's neither side-by-side nor top-bottom. It's frame-packed 3D. You get 1080p per eye at 24 Hz. The projector is actually displaying these images at a much higher framerate (96 or 144 Hz), so each eye sees the same image 2 or 3 times.
If you want to see real 3D, I suggest you use a 3D Blu-ray. You'll have a blast.

Reactions: aRTee21

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can anyone recommend a reliable source for OEM replacement bulb (ELPLP89) other than Epson? I'm looking for an OEM housing and bulb, not an "OEM bulb" in a third party / refurbished housing.

I'm on my third Epson projector and I replace bulbs once a year around 4k hours ( We use our projectors a lot). I typically only buy bulbs direct from Epson, but it seems like they rarely have bulbs in stock, and whey they do they sell out like the latest gaming console. I used to use the e-mail me when available link and buy them as soon as they come in, but now that's no longer an option on the web page so I've been checking daily for a while only to keep seeing out of stock.

I just purchased a new screen for my 5050ub and I would love to set it up with a fresh bulb. Sorry if this has been covered in the past 487 pages. I did a search, but it appears most the companies people recommend are offering "OEM replacements" that are really "OEM bulbs" in third party housings that make a burning smell. No thanks. I lost one projector a few years back to an off brand bulb that overheated, don't want that happening to my precious 5050ub. Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Can anyone recommend a reliable source for OEM replacement bulb (ELPLP89) other than Epson? I'm looking for an OEM housing and bulb, not an "OEM bulb" in a third party / refurbished housing.

I'm on my third Epson projector and I replace bulbs once a year around 4k hours ( We use our projectors a lot). I typically only buy bulbs direct from Epson, but it seems like they rarely have bulbs in stock, and whey they do they sell out like the latest gaming console. I used to use the e-mail me when available link and buy them as soon as they come in, but now that's no longer an option on the web page so I've been checking daily for a while only to keep seeing out of stock.

I just purchased a new screen for my 5050ub and I would love to set it up with a fresh bulb. Sorry if this has been covered in the past 487 pages. I did a search, but it appears most the companies people recommend are offering "OEM replacements" that are really "OEM bulbs" in third party housings that make a burning smell. No thanks. I lost one projector a few years back to an off brand bulb that overheated, don't want that happening to my precious 5050ub. Thanks.
See this post for some important information. Both lamps have been returned and I should be getting my refund soon. I'm going to place an order for a lamp replacement with: Jaspertronics but this time I'll get the original lamp with a 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey @fredworld, I see you have the Panasonic UB820. Are you using its HDR Optimizer? Does it make the 16-step HDR control on the Epson useless? Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey @fredworld, I see you have the Panasonic UB820. Are you using its HDR Optimizer? Does it make the 16-step HDR control on the Epson useless? Thanks.
I AM using the HDR optimizer. It does not render the Epson's HDR slider useless. I only need to set the Panny HDR to +2, all other parameters were left at 0. I used the Spears & Muncil UHD Benchmark disc for my subjective calibration. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
See this post for some important information. Both lamps have been returned and I should be getting my refund soon. I'm going to place an order for a lamp replacement with: Jaspertronics but this time I'll get the original lamp with a 1 year warranty.
Thank you for the link. I searched Jaspertronics and found a few posts where people had good experiences with the bulbs so they may be comparable, but I found this post where someone contacted them about a JVC bulb asking if it was in fact really the original:

Need an advice: JVC RS40 or RS20?

Also found this link on Jaspertronics website:
Original or Compatible?!? What is the difference ?!?

So it would appear their OEM units are what they call "original inside" as they use the same OEM bulb as supplied to manufacturer and arrive in OEM packaging, but quality control could potentially differ.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thank you for the link. I searched Jaspertronics and found a few posts where people had good experiences with the bulbs so they may be comparable, but I found this post where someone contacted them about a JVC bulb asking if it was in fact really the original:

Need an advice: JVC RS40 or RS20?

Also found this link on Jaspertronics website:
Original or Compatible?!? What is the difference ?!?

So it would appear their OEM units are what they call "original inside" as they use the same OEM bulb as supplied to manufacturer and arrive in OEM packaging, but quality control could potentially differ.
Problem is the oem housing with original bulbs have had the exact same problem from at least 2 different suppliers. The supplier i used, i also bought all my Sony lamps from, and they were perfect.
You have to think about how many manufacturers actually make these. I would have them measure the screws before purchase,or pull the original screws out when changing if they are wrong size.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Problem is the oem housing with original bulbs have had the exact same problem from at least 2 different suppliers. The supplier i used, i also bought all my Sony lamps from, and they were perfect.
You have to think about how many manufacturers actually make these. I would have them measure the screws before purchase,or pull the original screws out when changing if they are wrong size.
I'm betting the screws would be the right size if you buy from Epson... now if they would just restock or add back the notify me when in stock button.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I don't have my 5050UB yet but I know a bit about 3D. For 3D Blu-rays, it's neither side-by-side nor top-bottom. It's frame-packed 3D. You get 1080p per eye at 24 Hz. The projector is actually displaying these images at a much higher framerate (96 or 144 Hz), so each eye sees the same image 2 or 3 times.
If you want to see real 3D, I suggest you use a 3D Blu-ray. You'll have a blast.
Thanks for the info, I guess I have more stuff to read up on. Effectively, thinking about it, [email protected] (or 30) progressive in sbs format is also 1080p per eye, just 960x1080 non-square pixel 1080p... ;-)
I'll test the waters before I get a 3D BR, but it's an option for sure.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I got the shipping notice already from Jaspertronics for my order. I'll post back with results after inspection and testing.

Reactions: CinemacDaddy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info, I guess I have more stuff to read up on. Effectively, thinking about it, [email protected] (or 30) progressive in sbs format is also 1080p per eye, just 960x1080 non-square pixel 1080p... ;-)
I'll test the waters before I get a 3D BR, but it's an option for sure.
Has anyone successfully do framepacked within Plex or maybe Kodi with this projector? The information is so old as people seemed to abandon 3D. I have so many 3D movies that I would love to put on my NAS. I have tried DVDfab and MakeMKV and don't know if there is an extra step I am missing. It just looks 2D to me and framepacked isn't an option but SBS and TB is when I put Shield into 1080p.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I got the shipping notice already from Jaspertronics for my order. I'll post back with results after inspection and testing.
An original lamp will ofcourse fit.. My comment was meant for those who contemplate buying oem housings and lamps..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi,

While waiting for my 5050UB (no ETA yet), I've been reading about the Panasonic UB420 and its HDR Optimizer feature.
I also read that the 5050UB has a great HDR tone mapping. I plan to use my Xbox Series X to play UHD Blu-rays (works great on my 4K TV).
It's no question that a Panasonic player will be better, but is it like night and day? Regarding the HDR optimizer, I mean.

Thanks.
Julien.
Same question here. Did you ever get an answer? I did not see any feedback. I have a Xbox One X.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same question here. Did you ever get an answer? I did not see any feedback. I have a Xbox One X.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Not really. Maybe @fredworld or someone else could comment on how much impact the HDR optimizer has (on vs off)?

P.S: I know I asked about the UB420, but I'm pretty sure it shares the same processor as the UB820. So any experience with the optimizer on the UB820 should be the same on the UB420.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
For the sake of less than $300 it's DOES make a better fist of handling HDR than the Epson, not to say the Epson on it's own is bad just that the other is better. Many on here use MadVR on a PC to play movies throw and it's significantly better than either the Epson or Epson+UB420 combination by all accounts if that's more up your street but in either case when watching streaming services like Netflix or Prime you only have the Epson's internal processing to fall back on.

Reactions: Medality
9721 - 9740 of 9931 Posts