AVS Forum banner

9741 - 9760 of 9931 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Without wanting to start an argument, I believe it comes down to a matter of choice and preference. Some of us are always striving to get that last little bit of performance out of our setups, while others are perfectly happy and content to get "close enough" in their eyes.

As Luminated67 mentioned, for physical discs, the Panasonic takes a first pass at making the signal more appropriate for a brightness challenged display device. Then final tweaks, if needed, can be accomplished using the internal slider of the Epson. Some people want to go "that extra step" to get even better performance by using a computer to run MadVR for their physical disc ripped content. Either way you are relying on the Epson slider to make adjustments for streaming sources.

For streaming sources you have three options: Epson, Lumagen, or MadVR Envy.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not really. Maybe @fredworld or someone else could comment on how much impact the HDR optimizer has (on vs off)?

P.S: I know I asked about the UB420, but I'm pretty sure it shares the same processor as the UB820. So any experience with the optimizer on the UB820 should be the same on the UB420.
Thanks for reaching out, but I'm probably not the one to rely on for a definitive answer. I say this because my projector/screen set-up is on the conservative side of many others in this thread. At 40"x94" with 1.0 gain I'm well under others that have 110" to 150+" screens either in width or diagonally that use Lumagen, MadVR, HTPC, etc with which to make comparisons.

Having said that I still stand by what I posted here. My system is not professionally calibrated. I used the Spears & Muncil UHD and SDR 3D disc's basic patterns/instructions to dial in what I subjectively feel is a "proper" result for my various sources, then for HDR I fine tuned the image with my Panasonic's HDR slider. My room is completely light controlled. Black level, in my estimation, is excellent. Ren's black wardrobe on the latter Star Wars movies display, what appears to me, the appropriate folds in the fabric with natural looking shadowing between the sections of his costume. The light sabers have no edge pixilation (as some reported seeing). With Solo I have to move the projector's HDR slider from 4 to 2 for good light levels, similarly when streaming Mandolorian on Disney+. Noir-type films hold up very well. I feel that I never need to guess what is happening in dark scenes unless it's intended by the filmmaker. The image doesn't solarize unless the source is a poor one (not everything I watch is of a recent vintage) but even when it does it passes quickly. StarTrek Discovery on CBS Access in 1080P is a standout in its color palette and contrast levels with discernible brightness levels of stars and nebulae in outer space.

The overall result gives me, pretty much, a set and forget scenario. For the most part, the same settings are in play for HDR, SDR and SD physical media and streaming (the HDR slider is not in play, obviously, for SDR and SD). I hope this helps. YMMV.🎬

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for all your answers. Much appreciated.
I guess I'll wait for a sale on the UB420 then :D.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone successfully do framepacked within Plex or maybe Kodi with this projector? The information is so old as people seemed to abandon 3D. I have so many 3D movies that I would love to put on my NAS. I have tried DVDfab and MakeMKV and don't know if there is an extra step I am missing. It just looks 2D to me and framepacked isn't an option but SBS and TB is when I put Shield into 1080p.
According to here: Kodi 3D SW decoding not supported Kodi can do framepacked (MVC) if the driver and hardware platform support it. Raspberry Pi is mentioned to have what it takes.
I'd go that way to avoid having to mess with discs. No idea (yet) how to rip the discs, I'll investigate if I decide to go for it...

If you go the RasPi way, let me know how it works out!

Edit: btw, indeed, 3D seems to be abandoned. I'll see if it does its thing for me.
For now, I downloaded some 3D SBS clips, and found that on a regular screen I can do cross-eye viewing, to see the 3d effect. Disadvantage: that way, due to crossing the eyes, it the imagery is positioned in front of the screen... Not so majestic, everything seems tiny... ;-)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve looked around and haven’t seen this problem in any of the forums.

I have my 5050UB hooked up to various sources through a Denon receiver. When plugged into the HDMI 1 port on the Epson, I cannot switch between sources as I’ll get a flashing blue and orange error (status and lamp). I don’t get this error with the HDMI 2 port and can switch between sources with no problem.

Am I looking at a faulty port?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
I’ve looked around and haven’t seen this problem in any of the forums.

I have my 5050UB hooked up to various sources through a Denon receiver. When plugged into the HDMI 1 port on the Epson, I cannot switch between sources as I’ll get a flashing blue and orange error (status and lamp). I don’t get this error with the HDMI 2 port and can switch between sources with no problem.

Am I looking at a faulty port?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What firmware are you using? Vers 1.04 addresses connectivity issues on HDMI input 1.

·
Registered
331 Posts
According to here: Kodi 3D SW decoding not supported Kodi can do framepacked (MVC) if the driver and hardware platform support it. Raspberry Pi is mentioned to have what it takes.
I'd go that way to avoid having to mess with discs. No idea (yet) how to rip the discs, I'll investigate if I decide to go for it...

If you go the RasPi way, let me know how it works out!

Edit: btw, indeed, 3D seems to be abandoned. I'll see if it does its thing for me.
For now, I downloaded some 3D SBS clips, and found that on a regular screen I can do cross-eye viewing, to see the 3d effect. Disadvantage: that way, due to crossing the eyes, it the imagery is positioned in front of the screen... Not so majestic, everything seems tiny... ;-)
Popcorn Hour media player can frame-pack SBS or OU video files. The players are discontinued now though. See if you can find some used ones (A400 or A500 series)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I know this thread may be biased but if I'm in the market for a 4K projector in this price range in the summer do you still think the 5050 is the way to go? Price hasn't really changed since launch.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know this thread may be biased but if I'm in the market for a 4K projector in this price range in the summer do you still think the 5050 is the way to go? Price hasn't really changed since launch.

If gaming is important to you, then it's the best for the price. It can do 4K HDR at 60 Hz with a pretty good input lag (below 30 ms).
Otherwise, you could also look at the BenQ HT5550. Choice is pretty limited to be honest (unless your budget is not ;)).

Reactions: reechings

·
Registered
349 Posts
If gaming is important to you, then it's the best for the price. It can do 4K HDR at 60 Hz with a pretty good input lag (below 30 ms).
Otherwise, you could also look at the BenQ HT5550. Choice is pretty limited to be honest (unless your budget is not ;)).
Yeah it's painful with projectors where they don't really come down much in price even as they get older but it's not like it's been out THAT long I guess.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah it's painful with projectors where they don't really come down much in price even as they get older but it's not like it's been out THAT long I guess.

If you prefer a less feature-laden much lower priced unit but doesn't spec out as well as the 5050 you might want to investigate the review of the 3800 model in Sound and Vision mag and at Projector central.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you prefer a less feature-laden much lower priced unit but doesn't spec out as well as the 5050 you might want to investigate the review of the 3800 model in Sound and Vision mag and at Projector central.
Thank you for that, the price difference is definitely huge but I really want the better blacks as I am currently using an epson 3100 and that's it's main weakness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Popcorn Hour media player can frame-pack SBS or OU video files. The players are discontinued now though. See if you can find some used ones (A400 or A500 series)
Sorry for asking, and I don't mean to be blunt, but what's the point of getting SBS or OU 1080p files and going through the effort of getting some way to get those half res files into a framepacked format? Just playing the SBS or OU should lead to the same quality on the screen, right?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

At its price point nothing is better IMO, blacks and colours are best in class as is its HDR handling. In all honesty you would have to go buy yourself a JVC NX5 to get much of an improvement and it’s around twice the price.

Only negative is if you are motion sensitive, I personally don’t have any issues with the Epson and I watch everything from movies to soccer but I have heard some have issues so best try before you buy.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Rumors have swirled that Epson will have an upgraded model later this year. I believe the 5040 was originally announced in the month of June and it seems like maybe the 5050 was announced at CEDIA in September....I think. If I were doing this in the summer I would hold off until I could see if Epson is announcing an upgraded model such as the 5060. No reason to rush in and purchase it at this point.

·
Registered
581 Posts

The new LG HU810P (SRP of around $2999) might be worth considering once several sites have a chance to review it. On paper it seems like a competitor, and it has a laser light engine, so nearly a lifetime of light hours (no bulb replacements) and DLP so SLIGHTLY more resolution than the Epsons (most can't tell the difference) and no risk of dust in the light path. But if you are sensitive to rainbows, then there's that.
Otherwise I'd wait to see what if anything Epson announces in the next few months.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Rumors have swirled that Epson will have an upgraded model later this year. I believe the 5040 was originally announced in the month of June and it seems like maybe the 5050 was announced at CEDIA in September....I think. If I were doing this in the summer I would hold off until I could see if Epson is announcing an upgraded model such as the 5060. No reason to rush in and purchase it at this point.
I guess they might announce this fall and release next year since 5040 was released in 2016 and 5050 was released in 2019. Wouldn't surprise me if they announce right after I purchase

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
The new LG HU810P (SRP of around $2999) might be worth considering once several sites have a chance to review it. On paper it seems like a competitor, and it has a laser light engine, so nearly a lifetime of light hours (no bulb replacements) and DLP so SLIGHTLY more resolution than the Epsons (most can't tell the difference) and no risk of dust in the light path. But if you are sensitive to rainbows, then there's that.
Otherwise I'd wait to see what if anything Epson announces in the next few months.
Thanks for the heads up, that does sound really good. Guessing that blacks may be an issue as it is DLP but I'll stay hopeful.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

9741 - 9760 of 9931 Posts