AVS Forum banner

9761 - 9780 of 9931 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
HEAT management question!

Does anyone in this thread have their Epson in an enclosed / sealed hush box or soffit like enclosure? I've seen a few questions recently about putting the projector up against a wall, but what if the front of the projector (where intake and exhaust are) is up close to the front of an enclosure?

My pj will be in an enclosed section of a soffit (with a window for the image), with (hopefully) plenty of forced airflow through it, with an intake vent on one end of the enclosure and an exhaust with thermostat-controlled quiet PC fans on the other. I'm a mechanical engineer, and I've done some basic HVAC calcs, and in theory I should be able to keep the pj below 95F with an 80F room (worst case scenario with a warm room and pj at max power consumption) with the fans I have planned.

But I'm a little worried with the pj's own hot exhaust vent blowing right against the inside wall of the enclosure.

Anyone doing something similar? Any problems with the warm air blowing around the projected image?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quoting a bunch of you below to get your attention... :) :D
As @JPBoggis mentioned, y'all should consider the HDFury solution/hack.
For around $650 ($400 for the HDFury, and $250 for a Sony UBP-X800M2) you get Dolby Vision frame-by-frame tone mapping for Dolby Vision material, and HDR10 or whatever other HDR format, for everything else (yes I'm excessively paraphrasing).
There are other source hardware devices that work too, but I think the X800M2 is the least costly of them. Works for Dolby Vision streaming content, too.

By most accounts, this method is the best HDR experience short of a MadVR htpc, which will only tone-map discs, not streaming content.

Start HERE which is HDFury's post that contains links to threads here at AVS and elsewhere explaining the details. This has been discussed in this thread, too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My Epson 5050ub won't show the "frame interpolation" option under any circumstance in the menu. It's permanently greyed out - not selectable. My Amazon 4K fire stick is defaulted to output in 1080p 60hz as evidenced in the Epson's "projector info". I've updated the Epson's firmware to the newest version.

Any ideas what I can do to get it selectable?

·
Registered
399 Posts
My Epson 5050ub won't show the "frame interpolation" option under any circumstance in the menu. It's permanently greyed out - not selectable. My Amazon 4K fire stick is defaulted to output in 1080p 60hz as evidenced in the Epson's "projector info". I've updated the Epson's firmware to the newest version.

Is there an AVR or prepro between the Fire Stick and Epson that might be set to output the highest resolution compatible with the Epson? If so, set it to 1080p.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

Do you have image processing set to Fine? Also, I think I remember reading that FI won't work with 60hz. Try setting it to 24hz.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I do have image processing set to fine. Firestick is set to 60hz, as I previously mentioned. It only allows 60hz/50hz options with 4K/1080/720 output resolutions, no 24hz.
The AVR is a 5.1 Pioneer and doesn't provide any video upscaling on its own.

When I first bought the Epson, it had the original firmware and an older model fire-cube connected. FI was always available, if needed.

I'm not sure what happened that it's not an option any more. I used to have it set on "low or medium" for 3D discs and it was awesome. Without it, a fast pan in either direction causes the entire image to jitter violently.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Wow. I received my Epson 5050ub today and just finished installing it. I applied the calibration settings from this thread.
I am absolutely blown away by what this little guy can deliver.

Let me preface this by saying I’m coming from a JVC NX9. I’m planning on selling the house this spring and didn’t want to give that projector with the house. I also couldn’t keep it because I will be building a theater from scratch in the new house which I estimate will take me 1-1.5 years to finish.

I bought the 5050 to leave with the house and to tide me over until the move so I can still enjoy my theater.

Now the fun part... this thing delivers colors, brightness and black levels that just really impress me. If they ever make a full 4k panel version of this thing, I think my future projector will be an Epson. The image this thing delivers is quite astonishing.

here are a couple of samples...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry for asking, and I don't mean to be blunt, but what's the point of getting SBS or OU 1080p files and going through the effort of getting some way to get those half res files into a framepacked format? Just playing the SBS or OU should lead to the same quality on the screen, right?
Glad you asked. You are right - Projectors can covert SBS and OU to 3D images. So it may seem pointless to convert them to framepacked first through the media player. However here is why its preferable in few situations -
  • If you have full resolution SBS/OU files (very uncommon) and you framepack them, there will be no resolution loss.
  • If you have half resolution SBS/OU files (very common), they need to be stretched anyway while being displayed. This upscaling may be better through media player rather than projector.
  • When media player is processing the 3D file, it may show enhancement options that are not available in projector like - panning, flipping left/right eye images, subtitle depth adjustment and more depending on media player being used.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do have image processing set to fine. Firestick is set to 60hz, as I previously mentioned. It only allows 60hz/50hz options with 4K/1080/720 output resolutions, no 24hz.
The AVR is a 5.1 Pioneer and doesn't provide any video upscaling on its own.

When I first bought the Epson, it had the original firmware and an older model fire-cube connected. FI was always available, if needed.

I'm not sure what happened that it's not an option any more. I used to have it set on "low or medium" for 3D discs and it was awesome. Without it, a fast pan in either direction causes the entire image to jitter violently.
The manual is very clear on this, it only works with 1080p at 24Hz.
Logically, with 60Hz, which frames should it interpolate? It already gets all of them prescribed by the source...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad you asked. You are right - Projectors can covert SBS and OU to 3D images. So it may seem pointless to convert them to framepacked first through the media player. However here is why its preferable in few situations -
  • If you have full resolution SBS/OU files (very uncommon) and you framepack them, there will be no resolution loss.
  • If you have half resolution SBS/OU files (very common), they need to be stretched anyway while being displayed. This upscaling may be better through media player rather than projector.
  • When media player is processing the 3D file, it may show enhancement options that are not available in projector like - panning, flipping left/right eye images, subtitle depth adjustment and more depending on media player being used.
Good thoughts, indeed I hadn't thought of that. I'll keep it in mind.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Epson Fans,

I just bought 5050UB, I haven't opened the box yet as waiting for other system components to be delivered. One thing I'm struggling with his screen size and type. It is a basement with an open floor plan, walls are not going to be treated (light beige color).

do you think I can project 165' inch screen image without compromising brightness/color too much. I tried to use a few calculators online but not sure what to make out of it! also, what would be a reasonably priced screen you would match with Epson 5050UB? Hope I can learn a bit from your own experience! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
looks stunning.. what kind of screen it is? and did you treat your wall or ceiling with a dark color?
hi Svusa,

I have the Elunevision Aurora ALR 1.3 gain screen. It’s 135” 2.35:1

my whole theateris black with black velvet material on the screen wall, ceiling, side walls and black carpet. Everything else is painted black.

this projector looks odd in there now... the only white item lol.

Reactions: jpbonadio and svusa

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi Svusa,

I have the Elunevision Aurora ALR 1.3 gain screen. It’s 135” 2.35:1

my whole theateris black with black velvet material on the screen wall, ceiling, side walls and black carpet. Everything else is painted black.

this projector looks odd in there now... the only white item lol.
I must say, your image looks as good as my LG OLED. :) Thanks for sharing info!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Epson Fans,

I just bought 5050UB, I haven't opened the box yet as waiting for other system components to be delivered. One thing I'm struggling with his screen size and type. It is a basement with an open floor plan, walls are not going to be treated (light beige color).

do you think I can project 165' inch screen image without compromising brightness/color too much. I tried to use a few calculators online but not sure what to make out of it! also, what would be a reasonably priced screen you would match with Epson 5050UB? Hope I can learn a bit from your own experience! Thanks.
Look into painting the entire screen wall. It will allow you to experiment with screen size and you'll be able to change your mind if you don't care for 165".

Or you can also look into building your screen frame and wrapping it with a projector screen material yourself. This is what I did, but if I could go back in time I'd probably paint my wall instead.

Also everyone is going to tell you to paint your light beige walls!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Look into painting the entire screen wall. It will allow you to experiment with screen size and you'll be able to change your mind if you don't care for 165".

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I order a cheap 150-inch screen for eBay just to experiment a bit.. any links you could suggest to find out what type of paint I should use?

unfortunately, painting walls wouldn't be an option given the basement will be used as a multi-purpose room. :rolleyes:

IMG_7522.JPG IMG_7791.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
also, what would be a reasonably priced screen you would match with Epson 5050UB? Hope I can learn a bit from your own experience! Thanks.
Let me be the heretic by saying: I went from a white (yet structured) wall with a Sanyo PLV-Z4 to a 12$ cloth from AliExpress, and the whole family says it's fine. It's got black cloth around and behind it. Without any side lighting (which is luckily doable to a large degree), the slight waviness is not really visible.
What is discernable on a static, even scene, is the structure of the cloth when I look for it from up close. At viewing distance, it's fine, seems an even white screen.

It all depends on your budget and what you are allowed to do to the room...
Honestly, if you spend over 2 grand on a projector, a few hundred for the screen doesn't seem out of place.

Considering the beige walls, if you can't paint them, is there any way that you could put black/dark curtains or so?

·
Registered
70 Posts
It all depends on your budget and what you are allowed to do to the room...
Honestly, if you spend over 2 grand on a projector, a few hundred for the screen doesn't seem out of place.

Considering the beige walls, if you can't paint them, is there any way that you could put black/dark curtains or so?
I agree if there is a real value in getting one of those ALR screens, I would be willing to spend the same price as a projector but to your point, I'm not sure if it is worth it. Since I have no prior experience have no idea at what point these difference in screen material or price would not make much difference. If I talk to HT setup companies or big box stores, it always feels like they want to sell something expensive.

as far as sidewall is concerned, I'm planning to put a couple of dark acrostic panels. I could in theory paint the ceiling right above the proposed screen location with a dark color. I'm not sure how much benefit it would yield to get the best out of 5050ub.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It IS confusing. Let me try to explain as I understand it as simply as possible. First and foremost, the Epson 5050UB is a native 1080P projector. So, it can't put out a 4k signal. It can accept a 4k signal but it breaks it down to 1080P and then pixel-shifts two 1080P signals (doing so actually displays 1/2 of the 4k signal, the other 1/2 is ignored and never seen). The USER INFO screen shows what the projector is being fed. If it's being fed a 4K signal the INFO screen will show 3840x2160, then in the IMAGE Enhancement screen 4K Enhancement will be grayed out and not usable because the projector is already getting a 4K signal. I hope this helps.
This is super helpful but I'm not mine is working right after reading this. My source is a Tivo Mini that will only output 1080p and yet the 4K enhancement option is grayed out. But if I go to the information screen it is showing a resolution of 3840 by 2160. How can I be getting 4K resolution when the Tivo Mini is only outputting 1080P. And yet the the 4K enhancement option is unselectable? Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I agree if there is a real value in getting one of those ALR screens, I would be willing to spend the same price as a projector but to your point, I'm not sure if it is worth it. Since I have no prior experience have no idea at what point these difference in screen material or price would not make much difference. If I talk to HT setup companies or big box stores, it always feels like they want to sell something expensive.

as far as sidewall is concerned, I'm planning to put a couple of dark acrostic panels. I could in theory paint the ceiling right above the proposed screen location with a dark color. I'm not sure how much benefit it would yield to get the best out of 5050ub.
The screen will, more often than not, outlast your projectors for years to come. I’d invest in the best screen you can afford.

Reactions: fredworld and svusa
9761 - 9780 of 9931 Posts