AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 8070 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just to add to this, the 6050's are the highest performing models, apparently cherry picked to be able to deliver the slightly higher contrast ratio of 1.2M:1. They also have installer-specific ISF calibration modes and another anamorphic lens setting. With the longer warranty, extra lamp, and mount it's actually a pretty good deal, especially since I doubt anyone is paying MSRP for these things. When I got my old 6500UB back in the day, I remember getting a significant discount (cost +10%) - I hope it's still the same today haha. It would be nice if you could get the regular 5050 in black though.
Im quite happy with the deal I got on my 6050 from Dream Media... and yes I am happy it's black since it's visible. People go so far as to paint their rooms black yet have no problem hanging a giant white projector. I myself had a white pj for 9 years...but no longer :)

Reactions: gene4ht

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Im quite happy with the deal I got on my 6050 from Dream Media... and yes I am happy it's black since it's visible. People go so far as to paint their rooms black yet have no problem hanging a giant white projector. I myself had a white pj for 9 years...but no longer :)
Glad you're happy with the value and color. I would personally prefer a black case but it's never been a distraction for me. My attention is always focused on the image quality on the screen. Funny, my white case looks almost black in the dark!:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ok, so lots of handshake issues between my brand new 5050 and my 4K Sony UBP-X800 blu-ray player. (I'm so excited to see how 4K blu-ray is going to look!!!)

Screen is mostly black, sometimes flashing for a few seconds, then black. I wait for the issue to resolve, but after 10 minutes of this, not resolving. Not accepting/recognizing the signal from the player. Must be the HDMI cable.

I've tried a couple of cheaper HDMI cables, described as "high speed" and 4K compliant, but it looks like it's time to put my money where my mouth is. The run of the cable is 35ft.

So, what HDMI works for 4K, 35ft, Epson 5050 to Sony UBP-X800??? :confused:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Ok, so lots of handshake issues between my brand new 5050 and my 4K Sony UBP-X800 blu-ray player. (I'm so excited to see how 4K blu-ray is going to look!!!)

Screen is mostly black, sometimes flashing for a few seconds, then black. I wait for the issue to resolve, but after 10 minutes of this, not resolving. Not accepting/recognizing the signal from the player. Must be the HDMI cable.

I've tried a couple of cheaper HDMI cables, described as "high speed" and 4K compliant, but it looks like it's time to put my money where my mouth is. The run of the cable is 35ft.

So, what HDMI works for 4K, 35ft, Epson 5050 to Sony UBP-X800??? /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

Thanks!
FWIW I have this one (50') and it has worked great...they have a 32' version. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072M73NY9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6Yz9CbWQQFY8H

Reactions: dr bill

·
Registered
521 Posts
Glad you're happy with the value and color. I would personally prefer a black case but it's never been a distraction for me. My attention is always focused on the image quality on the screen. Funny, my white case looks almost black in the dark!:)
Oh no I'm sure it's fine. My white ceiling doesn't bother me. Just pointing out the strangeness of Epson having giant white projectors

Reactions: gene4ht

·
Registered
280 Posts
The DELONG has been mentioned several times in earlier posts, after going back and forth for days, I just ordered the DELONG. One of the reviewers said it worked with their Denon AVR-X1500H and I use Denon receivers so that tipped the scale.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Generally, retailers are bound by manufacturers agreements to only advertise MSRP. All retailers offer discounts to varying degrees...some more than others...but this pricing is only provided by directly calling a given retailer.
I thought it might have been advertised and I missed it...

Call or email a dealer. Personally I went through https://dreamediaav.com/ because they have free shipping and a youtube channel so very easy to contact with any issues.

Dream Media did an entire comparison video between the 5050 and 6050 with "That home theater guy"

Here is Dream Media video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-OpwDCagDc
Here is ThatHomeTheaterGuy's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagojkX52hA&t=2s

They are the same video but each guy shot it with their own camera on a slightly different angle so its cool to check both out.
I know I watched the one 6050 review, I will check out the other one. It will be even harder to leave it in the box until I'm done painting!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Just jumping in here, I have the 4010 and just upgraded to 5050. Picture quality and HDR are definitely worth the Money. 5050 looks amazing with hdr. You will not regret getting it. IMHO:)
Thank you so much for your kind input, it's great to hear from someone who had personal experience with both!! it's definitely a confusing choice for me, but for now i've just put this decision on hold i think. Thank you again for your help!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,592

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm thinking that it may be more screen dependent than I had hoped. Mine is an old Draper gray screen. I have another that is white and 1.1. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
For anyone keeping score at home, I'm using a SilverTicket grey screen that claims to be 1.0 gain.

Reactions: misterg51

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just switched over and used Eric Pfoutz's from ProjectorReviews.com settings for his "Brightest 4K" Calibration and of the settings I've seen floating around here it is the best I've seen/used on the 5050UB. The only adjustment I made to his settings was changing the HDR slider from 8 to 4 since I have a larger 160" screen.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-home-cinema-5050ub-4k-capable-home-theater-projector-review-calibration-settings/
Any changes to your overall opinion of the 5050 now that you're using "the best you've seen/used"?

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I just switched over and used Eric Pfoutz's from ProjectorReviews.com settings for his "Brightest 4K" Calibration and of the settings I've seen floating around here it is the best I've seen/used on the 5050UB. The only adjustment I made to his settings was changing the HDR slider from 8 to 4 since I have a larger 160" screen.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-home-cinema-5050ub-4k-capable-home-theater-projector-review-calibration-settings/
Same here. I wasn't expecting them to fit my environment so well but they're working great (made my own calibration attempts look ugly in comparison). Only really had to adjust contrast/brightness a bit to reduce some white clipping and blacks were a bit too low on my screen.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I thought it might have been advertised and I missed it...

I know I watched the one 6050 review, I will check out the other one. It will be even harder to leave it in the box until I'm done painting!

I'm genuinely interested if the 6050 is better on anything other than paper or the written word. I don't think the contrast improvement will be perceptible 99% of the time but I am interested in the sharpness claims. I don't know how many A/B comparisons we're going to get however so who knows.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I'm genuinely interested if the 6050 is better on anything other than paper or the written word. I don't think the contrast improvement will be perceptible 99% of the time but I am interested in the sharpness claims. I don't know how many A/B comparisons we're going to get however so who knows.
The 5040 throws a bright and sharp image...the 5050 improves upon this...and the 6050 is said to be "hand picked" from the 5050's. All this is of course subjective and anecdotal. No amount of a/b testing from others will necessarily tell you what you want to know....only your own eyes will. Bottom line, these are excellent projectors at their price points. You just need to audition any of these to see for yourself. One of the best ways to do this is to order one from a retailer with a favorable/liberal return policy.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The 5040 throws a bright and sharp image...the 5050 improves upon this...and the 6050 is said to be "hand picked" from the 5050's. All this is of course subjective and anecdotal. No amount of a/b testing from others will necessarily tell you what you want to know....only your own eyes will. Bottom line, these are excellent projectors at their price points. You just need to audition any of these to see for yourself. One of the best ways to do this is to order one from a retailer with a favorable/liberal return policy.

I'm just interested in the comparison of the 5050 to the 6050 and I agree with your comment about subjective and anecdotal. Always in the eye of the beholder...and the salesman.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,599
Any changes to your overall opinion of the 5050 now that you're using "the best you've seen/used"?
The 5050UB is a tinkerer's dream! There are so many settings to fine tune the image. I think these are settings that I'm finally ok with leaving on 100% of the time regardless of the content. I was always switching back and forth between modes depending on the content. So much so that I create sequences on my harmony remote to mimic the 'memory, down, down, enter' etc buttons... I digress.

I really like the 5050UB. My expectations going into the 5050 were sky high so at the end of the day, the performance didn't blow me away but the HDR is definitely improved compared to last gen. If the Benq 5550 had better input lag, I would probably still have that up as my primary driver. There is a lot to like about that unit. But I spend about 50% of my lamp time gaming and the 60ms input lag on the HT5550 was a bit much for how much I game. Its serviceable for the casual gamer. Other than the input lag, the BenQ is amazing.

I ultimately stuck with the 5050UB because of the 26ms input lag. I also enjoy the extra brightness headroom and good contrast/black floor. I still often wish for a sharper picture and the fuss-free out of box color/image from the BenQ but I guess you can't have it all. I just hope we can get an 8.3M pixel projector that can do sub 30ms input lag soon. Right now the best we have is the BenQTK800M at 42ms. The Viewsonic LS-7004k on paper can but I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The good thing is after you do make a decision you won't be looking at an A/B comparison. All you will have is the projector you chose so any tiny differences won't matter anymore.

1581 - 1600 of 8070 Posts