AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fortunate enough to have access to Dennis Erskine’s place of business. He has opened what I suppose you would consider a retail store in Atlanta. It is very unassuming, residing in the same building as a Starbuck’s.

Mr. Erkine was nice enough to invite me by after a post I made about putting curtains around my theater and demonstrated the error that would be. He allowed me to experience the home theater he has created in store.

One problem with going in his theater is that no other home theater is likely to ever match up. He uses a Runco projector and Lexicon electronics. The room is as astetically pleasing as it is acoustically perfect. (Well, at least in my limited experience. I have been in maybe a dozen home theaters.)

He played the pod race from Star Wars. Extremely immersive. I believe I have experienced that scene as it was meant to sound and certainly an order of magnitude improvement over what i get in my room.

Mr. Erskine was quite patient with me, answered the questions I asked. He even offered advice on how to incorporate curtains into my HT and allow for 2 channel playback.

His approach to acoustic integration of a HT is fascinating and I could have bothered him for hours on end. All of the acoustic design and treatments in the room were fascinating. From the tuned floor to the treatments in the soffits.

He also demonstrated a product I think he called Green Glue. It has some interesting acoustic properties. He has some sheetrock that is bonded to a 2 inch thick piece of concrete. He showed how a transducer will play back music through the granite top of the counter in the store, but not through the sheetrock/green glue/concrete stack up. Very strange to me, but it sure seems to work. Evidently, the green glue converts the sonic energy from the transducer into heat.

A very informative afternoon and I appreciate the time Dennis spent with me.

I have a friend of mine I am trying to get to go with me to experience the ultimate home theater before he starts on his. However, if he does get Dennis to do his home theater, I’ll end up with “theater envyâ€. ;) :D

Thank you Mr. Erskine

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Thanks for the report, Mark!

I think many of us here are like me: we've worked with Dennis and built our theaters based on his plans, but never met in person!

Don't let your friend start on his theater without dragging him in there.

Randy

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
I'll be happy to meet y'all on the Cruise next week. Unfortunately, both UPS and cruise line were unwilling to move our demo room onto the ship. Drats.

We've also now set up a 2-channel test environment for the room.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Where might this magical land be located in ATL? I would like to stop by next time I'm in town.

·
Registered
760 Posts
How much did Dennis pay you for that writeup?

LOL j/k, I've read so much about Dennis on here, when I eventually get a house I'll be calling him up :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
We've also now set up a 2-channel test environment for the room.
Now I have another excuse to go back.

Obviously no one paid for the write up. But I am sure you all have had an experience that really made a big impression. Maybe not like the birth of your first child, but where you will remember the experience. Visiting with Dennis in his theater was one such experience.

Another was when I saw a well set up CRT projector displaying HD.

It was really an epiphany for me from the acoustic standpoint and the detail and workmanship that went into his design.

During bad traffic times in Atlanta, I drive past his place as an alternate route home. Never knew the place was there. I sit at the traffic light most every Friday. I must be looking at the folks coming and going from Starbucks. ;)

I’m still trying to figure out the “Green Glueâ€. :confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Jacket fan,

I've been juggling my budget to see if I can include Dennis' obvious talents and I'm set to visit him at his store this Saturday.

As some of you have helped me in this thread, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=459413 , I've got a semi odd room to deal with the wall angles.

Dennis is a few hours away but I think it'll be well worth spending a Saturday driving. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm looking forward to it.

J

·
Registered
760 Posts
I was kidding about that, Mark. I understand what you mean - I actually got my bug by visiting a store that that had an Acoustic Innovations room set up. All acoustically configured with a 110" Stewart screen, Runco projector McIntosh equipment, a Crestron controller, even a star ceiling. I loved every second in that place and it convinced me to start my journey towards a theater.

So yes, I do understand what prompted this post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.