Is that a horn sub?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Sound isolation can make an HT much more usable...for

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
That's what I did in my build back in 1999. I installed the floating joists in between the old joists and the new floating joists only stick down 1" below the old joists.

I had to move ducts, gas, waste, water, and electrical to accomplish. Whew...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Ted - Yep, Danley DTS-10 Tapped Horn. It's either a horn sub or some sort of abominable snowman. Either way, it's capable of scaring people out of the room with ease.
And yes, that makes me very happy.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/D...ec%20sheet.pdf . Dennis mentioned that I might "need" another one
for more even coverage. I certainly won't complain about that! But they're no longer available in the "assemble it yourself" package - now they come assembled only, with that truck bed liner Duratex finish (which is admittedly very cool). However, the assembled version carries a significantly steeper price tag. We'll see...not high on my priority list right now, but another would be very cool!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Would using floating joists eliminate the need for all clips/hat channel on the ceiling?

I think Andreas may incorporate the DTS-10 into his shrink ray technology. I am sure it's going to work very well...

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I built two of these for my room... because Dennis said so... 3600 watts driving them.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji
Would using floating joists eliminate the need for all clips/hat channel on the ceiling?
Yes, absolutely.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
You guys are killing me! So much to think about! Now I'm wracking my brain trying to think of anything that might be in the way up there...I know there's that natural gas line, a hot and cold plumbing line, and an HVAC supply and return trunk (the return needs to be moved anyway). Other than that, I can't think of much. Looked at HD online and I could get 20 2x8x16's for about $300...but then added cost of moving those lines...

I dunno - since sound isolation isn't a huge concern for me, will floating joists really outperform clips and channel by that much? If it's a difference between 80 and 85%, I'm not that interested. But if it's a difference of 80 versus 97%, then I guess I'd have to look into it further. Sorry - just thinking out loud here...

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Use the clips and channel...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White
Use the clips and channel...
+1 on the Clips and Channel. Can't hear a thing upstairs on my build.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm sure it's not THAT big of a difference. If the clips let you keep the gas/water lines where they are now it's got to be cheaper. Of course, I'd have to ask a plumber for a quote just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Ok sounds good - I think floating joists may be a biting off a little more than I can chew.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Or... just build around them. Make your room in a room smaller and have a 2' gap or whatever all the way around. Space is great for sound isolation.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I saw another thread a while back where someone paid a plumber $210 to move the natural gas line only. And mine appears to be a little more involved than his was because I have a split for a fireplace. Then I also have the main water line to the house and a hot line that a plumber would also have to move.

I'm also thinking about leaving the pipe where it is and adding a split for a gas range in the kitchen at some point and a split for the grill outside...the range and outdoor grill locations are both close to the current pipe and I figure I should do these things before access from below becomes an issue...

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
All the more reason to stick with clips & channel

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Cutter - I agree that space around would be ideal - 2 of my walls are against the foundation, one (staggered stud) will border a mechanicals room/bath, and the other (double stud) will border on the finished area of the basement. Unfortunately, room width is the real limiting factor, and 4 seats in the front row are a pre-requisite for me. (Maybe I'm crazy, but I often watch movies with my girlfriend and another couple, and I feel like it would be weird if we couldn't all sit in the same row.) So unfortunately, space is at a premium and I won't be able to create those gaps. But in theory, I agree with you!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I just started putting clips and channel up. The system has some nice flex to it, so I can imagine it decouples pretty well.

Another vote for clips and channel so you can be more anal in another, more important area of the build! ha ha!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Cool Andreas! I'll try to stop by this weekend to check it out!

·
Registered
532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji /forum/post/19540567

I saw another thread a while back where someone paid a plumber $210 to move the natural gas line only....

I paid a plumber $600+ for him to move the line to the two AC units outside. He moved it 3 FEET!!!! I paid the same guy later in the build to move my shutoff valves for the spigot outside...that was another $250.

Anytime you can get away with building around something, go for it... You'll nbe surprised how much we focus on sound isolation and the gain for some of it is SO, SO small.... I love my room and the isolation is great with DC-04's on the walls, clips/channel in the ceiling and DD/GG. Love it! More importantly, my wife loves it also...since she can't hear a peep directly upstairs. Except maybe when the two DD-15's are pumping away during a heavy action scene. Even then, it's a very, very small rumble that she can only hear in dead silence upstairs. With 3 kids, there is very rarely dead silence.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
$600...ouch! I am definitely going to leave the gas line where it is. The only plumbing work that (I think) needs to be done is to move the shutoff/split for the little line that goes to the refrigerator ice maker. Hopefully, that won't be too big of a deal.

I didn't get too much done over the last 2 days, but made a bit more progress on the insulation. Now I'm starting to think about framing...I have a few questions that I'll post regarding a support column. I need to come up wth a framing solution to minimize its protrusion into the room. I have a few ideas but I don't know if they're sound from an isolation perpective...and I'll try to post my floor plan too.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

81 - 100 of 1773 Posts