AVS Forum banner

1761 - 1773 of 1773 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Cant really see much diffrence between the walnut and the spice in the pics.. So I'll vote for walnut also to be safe.... Will he do the stair treads to match?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Looks great, Ben. +1 for the Dark Walnut or the Jacobean with 25% Espresso to coordinate with your gray walls.....but it is tough to see from the pics.

And by the way.....it looks like you missed a great opportunity to use your sledgehammer to break up that tile!!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,764
Thanks for all of the input. I had a throwback to theater construction this weekend...spent lots of time pacing around the room staring at the floor and thinking "just wait - this is gonna be awesome!" But thankfully this time I wasn't making all of the helicopter and Transformers sound effects like I did in the HT. Glad there's no video evidence of that.

Long story short, I'm going with the Dark Walnut. It's very close in color to the Jacobean, but that stain makes the grain stand out a lot more and that's not what I'm going for. I also like the brown spice, but it's lighter in color and I have had in my head since I started that I want something pretty dark.

There are a few thresholds and final touches to put on the install this morning and then sanding starts this afternoon. Hoping I will have a finished floor in a week...

Reactions: KNKKNK

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,765
Sand and sand some more...

And after spending a lot of time on the stairs including removing the railings and balusters etc. (he did amazing work), the stain was applied yesterday...I couldn't walk into the house but here's a pic from the front door...

Can see the finish line now...can't wait to have this project completed. I'm slowly picking out a few new light fixtures and then it's on to furniture...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1289590/the-esquire-theater-construction-begins/1740#post_24743643

Looking good! How many hours did all that take ?

Thanks! In total it will be about 3 weeks. The first week was removal of carpet and installation of hardwood in the living room, master bedroom, 2 closets and hallway. Second week was sanding all of that and the dining room, kitchen, and stairs (which previously had hardwood). This week is stain and 3 coats of poly...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,770
Well folks this has been done for a while but I thought I'd share a couple of (crappy iPhone) finished shots. I apologize for the quality. Now I am on the hunt for paint and a backsplash in the kitchen and paint for the dining room. And furniture. Lots of furniture.

First, the finished living room (furniture is on the way). I'm going to exchange the current speakers for in-walls, but I haven't figured out exactly how I will handle the awkward wall angles in this room. I'd be very happy to hear thoughts/suggestions! Oh and I also got some new toys to handle the low end: a Velodyne SC-1250 amp and two SC-8 subs. Tiny little boxes and they pack more than enough punch for this room!

Also the bedroom...I have ordered a big club chair (lead times can be really frustrating) for between the windows and have almost decided on a bed frame.

This is slow going as I am doing a lot of the painting myself and outdoor summer projects have really taken over for now. To be continued!

Oh...then there was the 4th of July. It was very American, as you can see. Mini apple pies, several truckloads of fireworks, and a lake.

Attachments

Reactions: rfbrang and avtexan

·
Registered
887 Posts
Kudos on the floor Ben.. home looks beautiful.

That truck load of gunpowder looks like fun.. Im a kid at heart when it comes to fireworks and miss it since we moved. They really take the fun out of the 4th here in AZ.. maybe becasue its so hot and dry .. One errant spark and the whole Valley could go up in a puff of smoke...:eek:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,772
Kudos on the floor Ben.. home looks beautiful.

That truck load of gunpowder looks like fun.. Im a kid at heart when it comes to fireworks and miss it since we moved. They really take the fun out of the 4th here in AZ.. maybe becasue its so hot and dry .. One errant spark and the whole Valley could go up in a puff of smoke...:eek:

Ah yes - NY is a total fun zapper when it comes to fireworks (all fireworks are illegal). So of course we didn't lite them. We just looked at the cool boxes and then tossed them in the water like good upstanding citizens. ;)

·
Registered
JVC RS2000, DCR-C Lens, Stewart ST130 G4 Microperf. DIYSG 1099 LCR, Volt6 x8, HT18”x4, Denon X4300h
234 Posts
A big thanks to Ben for granting my request to visit, and giving me a demo of his theater last night. It is a classy place for sure. Love the picture that your Runco throws! It was a pleasure meeting you and chatting HT.

1761 - 1773 of 1773 Posts