AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
The critics pan the movie, people still go. Your neighbor pans the movie, many still go. Why? Do we want to reward the studios for putting out a crapfest. Heck no! Folks are just desparate to enjoy a movie at the theater. They think that most critics are un-loved, frustrated, wannabe movie directors that can't do, so they piss on any movie to show how smart and sophisticated they are. Your neighbor? Well, maybe he just doesn't get it or appreciate movies like you do? Plus, how bad can it really be. Transformers 1 was great, right? I'll see the sequel. How many movies have you liked that someone else did not. Hey, I'll give it a shot. It's in 3d right?

I blame the studios for taking the easy way out and not demanding a good movie to go along with the good AV.

(for the record I do not carry any benevolence towards film critics
)

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
People go to these "to go to a movie" and even if they leave feeling it sucked they'll do it again. It's just a golden goose that the movie studios can exploit in the old PT Barnum way. IOW, "wallet sucker" films.

I have about virtually stopped seeing movies at the local theater anymore but then being all digital they've become "3D hell" and mainly booking those kind of films.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I think most AVS members reviewing movies are un-loved, frustrated, wannabe movie directors that can't do, so they piss on any movie to show how smart and sophisticated they are.

The purpose of a movie is to sell tickets, and the means is to entertain you. That's all. It doesn't need to be original, sophisticated, elaborate, artsy-fartsy, or even clever. As a matter of fact, some very obvious films are very entertaining. All 22 James Bond films had essentially the same plot and all pretty much complied with the same formulaic mix of action, sex, gadgets, and violence. They were entertaining and in the end, only the Harry Potter series grossed more money.

By the way, a lot of films recognized by the Oscars or other awards are ultimately boring and lacking in entertainmemnt value.

Obviouslu NO the story only has to be minimally present, as long as the prospective viewer can distinguish the movie as an offering in the genre he favors. 3/4ths of what my wife views are Romance movies, the other quarter is mostly British detective stories. I like SF and Fantasy and War Films. A story is a nice bonus, but ulimately not required.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/20835554

I think most AVS members reviewing movies are un-loved, frustrated, wannabe movie directors that can't do, so they piss on any movie to show how smart and sophisticated they are.

The purpose of a movie is to sell tickets, and the means is to entertain you. That's all. It doesn't need to be original, sophisticated, elaborate, artsy-fartsy, or even clever. As a matter of fact, some very obvious films are very entertaining. All 22 James Bond films had essentially the same plot and all pretty much complied with the same formulaic mix of action, sex, gadgets, and violence. They were entertaining and in the end, only the Harry Potter series grossed more money.

By the way, a lot of films recognized by the Oscars or other awards are ultimately boring and lacking in entertainmemnt value.

Obviouslu NO the story only has to be minimally present, as long as the prospective viewer can distinguish the movie as an offering in the genre he favors. 3/4ths of what my wife views are Romance movies, the other quarter is mostly British detective stories. I like SF and Fantasy and War Films. A story is a nice bonus, but ulimately not required.

My experience is just the opposite. AVS are the geeks who love a movie if it sounds and looks good. If I want the snobby views, I go to audioasylum for movie reviews.

Movies have different purposes and they are not all just to entertain. I've found that as I have gotten older and seen the same old crap for decades, I am just not entertained by most movies anymore. Maybe that's just on me but I don't really go for mainstream stuff whether it is music or movies. I definitely want an interesting story and some thought to the lines. The pure action stuff rarely interests me unless it comes with something to make it exciting. I'm especially tired of the stuff that just copies other stuff.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
I like SF and Fantasy and War Films. A story is a nice bonus, but ulimately not required.

I Also like SF, Fantasy and War films (and more). But without a good story its just an effect ride. Take Transformers 1 and 2 as an example. I like the first one, hated the second (So did Michael Bay). It couldnt be because of the effects or action sequenses, the second didnt exactly have a shortage of them.

A good story that is told in a skilled(?) way is everything. Effects is only needed to tell the story, its not that the effects that needs a story. A good example would be Pan´s labyrinth. It has alot of special effects but its the story that is the core of the movie.

Even the Bond movies you mention is often very well crafted even if the main plot often is just on repeat. They do manage to get you emotional involved in the movie. So they are usually more clever written then you would think.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:

The purpose of a movie is to sell tickets, and the means is to entertain you. That's all.

Well, yes, if you're only approaching it from a financial standpoint. But even then there are limits to what "mindless entertainment" can do.

Quote:

Definitions of boring differ, though. I find a lot of science fiction and fantasy to be boring and a lot of drama very interesting (but then again, there are some scifi/fantasy films I enjoy as well.)

·
Registered
29,368 Posts

Quote:

You are the reason that so many movies suck today, Gary. Shame on you.

·
Registered
15,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/20841860

You are the reason that so many movies suck today, Gary. Shame on you.

+1

Cheerleading for the lowest common denominator, keeping the bar low.

Not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I'll always want a good story, regardless of the type of movie I'm watching. However, if the ride is really good, I'll be a lot less disappointed than I would if they couldn't get one half of the equation correct. I'll take an Inception, District 9, Iron Man or Star Trek style of blockbuster over the Transformers, Fast and the Furious, or Tron: Legacy style. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy elements of the latter.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Without story, you can't have a book.

Without story, you can't have religion.

Without story, etc.....

And without story, you can't have a movie.

But without story, you can be entertained.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.