AVS Forum banner

3461 - 3480 of 3591 Posts

·
Registered
27,263 Posts
I haven't read the books but it sounds like they have to do a recast...if he's as important in the later books as you say then there's no way around it...no need to create a new story arc etc...his story arc has already been explored in the 4 previous seasons...just put in a new actor and hope the fans get used to him...Game of Thrones did it with Daario Naharis and Ser Gregor 'The Mountain' Clegane (Mountain was actually recast twice) and they didn't miss a beat...different situations but same principle
Those GoT guys were not principal characters, like Alex is in 'The Expanse'. Especially the Mountain who wore a helmet that concealed his face most of the time if I remember correctly. Anyway, not remotely the same thing. I can't see them recasting the role.

But they could conceivably write him out without missing too much; say he went back to Mars to see his kid & his ex and got killed there or something. He's the least important member of the cast, and gets less important as the narrative goes on. But replacing him with an entirely new character is problematic too, for reasons I mentioned earlier.

No matter how you look at it, this is an enormous headache for the producers. Especially since they've got S-5 in the can & presumably ready to go.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I haven't read the books but it sounds like they have to do a recast...if he's as important in the later books as you say then there's no way around it...no need to create a new story arc etc...his story arc has already been explored in the 4 previous seasons...just put in a new actor and hope the fans get used to him...Game of Thrones did it with Daario Naharis and Ser Gregor 'The Mountain' Clegane (Mountain was actually recast twice) and they didn't miss a beat...different situations but same principle

I mentioned those examples in an earlier post, but they key difference is that the Mountain was barely a character to begin with. Not sure if many even noticed, not much different than swapping out an extra on the set.

Daario was a little weirder, seeing as the actors looked nothing alike and the role was much larger, but the first actor kind of stunk, and he wasn't around that long before being replaced.

Replacing Alex is much more problematic. He's one of the main characters and has been around five years ... no way to sneak in a new actor without it coming across as very weird. Only way I can see it working is if there is a timejump in the books (which I guess would have to be sped up a bit for season 6), where an older actor could take on the role.

Depending on his importance in the overall story, I'd probably prefer seeing Alex just written out. But since I haven't read the books, can't say if he's vital or not.

·
Registered
13,299 Posts
I mentioned those examples in an earlier post, but they key difference is that the Mountain was barely a character to begin with. Not sure if many even noticed, not much different than swapping out an extra on the set.

Daario was a little weirder, seeing as the actors looked nothing alike and the role was much larger, but the first actor kind of stunk, and he wasn't around that long before being replaced.

Replacing Alex is much more problematic. He's one of the main characters and has been around five years ... no way to sneak in a new actor without it coming across as very weird. Only way I can see it working is if there is a timejump in the books (which I guess would have to be sped up a bit for season 6), where an older actor could take on the role.

Depending on his importance in the overall story, I'd probably prefer seeing Alex just written out. But since I haven't read the books, can't say if he's vital or not.
I agree that the situations are different but like I said, same principle...The Mountain wasn't just a throwaway character...he wasn't on the same tier as Cersei, Tyrion, Daenerys etc but I consider him Tier 2...and he wore the helmet etc only in the later seasons after his duel with Oberyn Martell...during the 2 recasts they introduced him without any armor etc...all 3 versions of The Mountain looked very different from each other (except for the fact that they were very tall)...I actually liked the first Daario better as he inhabited the characteristics of the book version but the 2nd one was fine as well

of all the major characters on The Expanse Alex is probably the most dispensable (although I honestly have never been a huge fan of Steven Straight's performance as Holden and think he could be easily replaced as well)...Steven Straight has that David Duchovny bored/neutral look on his face all the time and doesn't seem to have much range as an actor...Avasarala, Amos and Naomi seem pretty irreplaceable...I think an Alex recast would work fine

·
Registered
27,263 Posts
One thing I noticed from reading some of those tweets was that this was not some new behavior from Cas. Some of these complaints go all the way back to 2013! :eek: Meaning, he's been doing this crap since the series started and they first started doing the convention circuit.

So you'd think word of this would have gotten back to the producers at some point. His fellow actors should have been aware of it. Somebody should have pulled him into an office and had a "word of prayer" with him. Told him in no uncertain terms that stuff had to stop. Now it's out of the box and has blown up in their faces. :(

·
Registered
13,299 Posts
One thing I noticed from reading some of those tweets was that this was not some new behavior from Cas. Some of these complaints go all the way back to 2013! :eek: Meaning, he's been doing this crap since the series started and they first started doing the convention circuit.

So you'd think word of this would have gotten back to the producers at some point. His fellow actors should have been aware of it. Somebody should have pulled him into an office and had a "word of prayer" with him. Told him in no uncertain terms that stuff had to stop. Now it's out of the box and has blown up in their faces. :(
don't people realize that sending texts/tweets are creating a permanent record that can come back to haunt you later on...I would never send anyone a text, e-mail or tweet if I was doing anything illegal or inappropriate...everything would be handled face-to-face...which is why my criminal enterprise is flourishing :D...I'm kidding...

·
Registered
27,263 Posts
I can think of a fan-favorite character, backstory already known, who could easily replace Alex as the #4 crew member.

After all, Bobbie joins the crew anyway later in the series. Writing around Alex’s absence would not be difficult.
That's what I was thinking too. Given how the story unfolds after book 5, it really wouldn't be that difficult to write him out. An annoyance that will take some massaging of the narrative, but not undoable. Bet that's how it goes down.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts

From everything I can tell, none of these women had come forward until now with all the creepy tweets and DMs. And it also seems this isn't totally uncommon behavior at cons for a lot of men. Not that it makes it right or okay, of course. Just that until you have someone saying, for example, she was sexually assaulted as a 17-year-old, there really isn't much to follow up on. HOWEVER, a former crew member on The Expanse, Cailin Munroe, has tweeted the following:
Hearing all of the stories coming out about a former ‘coworker’ of mine is disheartening and upsetting but unfortunately not surprising to me. He had done the same thing to a close friend of mine. It’s horrific to see that it’s a consistent pattern of behavior.

I hope all my other former coworkers will come forward and denounce his actions. Preying on underage girls, and women, who were fans and excited to be part of a community. There is no room for this behavior in the world any longer and we will not be silent. I believe his victims.
https://twitter.com/hellomunroe/status/1275787388812496897

of all the major characters on The Expanse Alex is probably the most dispensable (although I honestly have never been a huge fan of Steven Straight's performance as Holden and think he could be easily replaced as well)...Steven Straight has that David Duchovny bored/neutral look on his face all the time and doesn't seem to have much range as an actor...Avasarala, Amos and Naomi seem pretty irreplaceable...I think an Alex recast would work fine
Given how the story unfolds after book 5, it really wouldn't be that difficult to write him out. An annoyance that will take some massaging of the narrative, but not undoable. Bet that's how it goes down.
We still don't know what Alex's role will be in book 9, which is probably pretty far along if not at a completed first draft stage. I agree that his role becomes less essential. Pretty much any crack pilot can do what he does in terms of his material contributions to the team's missions. But you lose all the dynamics with the Roci family and developing relationship with Bobbie. It's hard to imagine some rando pilot stepping in and risking it all, doing whatever it takes to make sure his "family" survives whatever dangers come along. I don't think it would be the same show without an "Alex."

And Bobbie can't be piloting while doing the other stuff she does.

So my vote is for a recast. Maybe Naveen Andrews is available?

·
Registered
13,299 Posts
From everything I can tell, none of these women had come forward until now with all the creepy tweets and DMs. And it also seems this isn't totally uncommon behavior at cons for a lot of men. Not that it makes it right or okay, of course. Just that until you have someone saying, for example, she was sexually assaulted as a 17-year-old, there really isn't much to follow up on. HOWEVER, a former crew member on The Expanse, Cailin Munroe, has tweeted the following:

https://twitter.com/hellomunroe/status/1275787388812496897
if all it involved was being creepy online then he might be able to ride this out...as long as no physical contact was made then he might be able to just apologize...this is on the lower end of the Me Too movement scale...I didn't even see this make the news today as far as mainstream websites etc...seems only the Reddit thread is active...usually these type of accusations explode and before you know it the person is fired etc...the fact that it hasn't yet is good news for Cas

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It all depends if the executive producers submit to the trial-by-twitter or have solid evidence of their own to act upon besides screenshots of DMs and well-timed pile-on gossip.

·
Registered
27,263 Posts
It all depends if the executive producers submit to the trial-by-twitter or have solid evidence of their own to act upon besides screenshots of DMs and well-timed pile-on gossip.
In what form would you expect that "solid evidence" to take, if not actual screenshots of actual words spoken by actual people in the form of DM screenshots? In addition, there also appears to be testimony of a crew member involved in the show's production, as described in a post above. And that's just what we, the public, knows.

There's an old expression that applies here: Where there's smoke, there's fire. And there would appear to be an awful lot of smoke regarding Cas and his predatory interactions with female fans at conventions. Like a bonfire's worth of smoke.

The unfortunate truth of these things is that often much of the evidence boils down to personal anecdotes by individuals. There is not typically some "eye in the sky" or hidden video with incontrovertible video/audio evidence unless an actual sting by law enforcement was set up. This isn't that. It's just one guy who was acting in an inexcusable manner toward women who didn't willingly invite that behavior.

One way to determine guilt is simply numbers. Predators seldom act in a predatory fashion just once. The more accusations against an individual, the more reliable the collective claim.

There are a lot of accusations here. Enough to arrive at a highly probably conclusion, beyond reasonable doubt. That's not "trial-by-twitter". That's acting in a responsible and humane manner based on the values your studio or production company or network claims to hold.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
There will be some sort of investigation. The biggest worry I have is that if there turns out to be some sort of heinous crime involved, something that makes headlines, they might actually have to re-cast and re-shoot (a la Spacey in All the Money in the World). Amazon will not want to promote a show featuring someone who generates a lot of hate from the public. And there's plenty of time before [December?] to conduct such an investigation and reach a conclusion.

That's worst case, and there's a lot of less catastrophic possibilities. Fandom is often toxic, vendettas happen, and accusations fly that turn out to be orchestrated, deliberate, and false. It's happened. (There's a reason the Hugo Awards no longer mean anything.) So an objective investigation is necessary, before someone's reputation and livelihood are ruined.

Or the facts reveal a sleazy ****** who is nevertheless not guilty of anything actionable, but "doesn't represent the standards," so that Amazon/Alcorn can just announce that he's going to be replaced/written out when the next season goes into production.

Personally, I don't care how many people say whatever on social media. I don't believe anything on social media unless it comes from a source I know personally, and sometimes not even then. Since social media is so far the sole source of this story, I hold out the possibility that there's nothing underneath this but some hurt feelings and personal animosity. I neither believe nor disbelieve. But it's worrisome, and this my nervous chatter. This show means a lot to me. I care little about any of the actors, aside from their power to damage the show.

·
Registered
13,299 Posts
in years past I don't think these accusations would have amounted to much of anything but the Me Too movement might force the writers to do something...nothing I've read in these texts/Twitter messages show anything other then creepy talk...there's nothing about any actual sexual assaults...but since the Me Too movement also involves convicting someone on Twitter he might have to leave the show just based on the optics

*to be clear I think the Me Too movement has done a lot of great things and brought to light some of the shadier parts of Hollywood but it has also led to rush to judgements

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm one of those people that places little weight on words and everything on actions. If I find a person repulsive I walk away, if they follow I run or fight, simple. The man is surely on notice already and has to have concern for his livelihood, so either he'll fly strait or be incapable and continue destroying his reputation. I thought Bobby would be an easy drop in for the rossi pilot and they could replace her character with another lone martian taking up the cause.

·
Registered
27,263 Posts
I'm one of those people that places little weight on words and everything on actions. If I find a person repulsive I walk away, if they follow I run or fight, simple. The man is surely on notice already and has to have concern for his livelihood, so either he'll fly strait or be incapable and continue destroying his reputation. I thought Bobby would be an easy drop in for the rossi pilot and they could replace her character with another lone martian taking up the cause.
Regardless of what happens with his role on the show now (or his acting career in general for that matter), I'd bet the farm that Cas has been invited to his last sci-fi convention.

As to the suggestion that Bobby could sub out for Alex as Roci's pilot and be replaced by another Martian, I'm guessing you haven't read the books?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
if all it involved was being creepy online then he might be able to ride this out...as long as no physical contact was made then he might be able to just apologize...this is on the lower end of the Me Too movement scale...I didn't even see this make the news today as far as mainstream websites etc...seems only the Reddit thread is active...usually these type of accusations explode and before you know it the person is fired etc...the fact that it hasn't yet is good news for Cas
in years past I don't think these accusations would have amounted to much of anything but the Me Too movement might force the writers to do something...nothing I've read in these texts/Twitter messages show anything other then creepy talk...there's nothing about any actual sexual assaults...but since the Me Too movement also involves convicting someone on Twitter he might have to leave the show just based on the optics

*to be clear I think the Me Too movement has done a lot of great things and brought to light some of the shadier parts of Hollywood but it has also led to rush to judgements
Did you read the detailed first-hand account by the person who claims she was assaulted as a 17-year-old that I posted earlier? https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/hf7k3v/comment/fvxl2um?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

As archiguy mentioned, where there is smoke there is usually fire. It's hard to believe he always behaved in an entirely professional manner on set. Showtime's The Chi recently dropped one of its main characters (Brandon played by Jason Mitchell) between seasons due to ongoing complaints of inappropriate behavior on set, which he had a history of.

Now these social media allegations against Cas Anvar are forcing the show to dig deep, talk to everyone on the show, and be transparent (i.e., stop ignoring or covering up his behavior if that's what they've been doing).

·
Registered
13,299 Posts
Did you read the detailed first-hand account by the person who claims she was assaulted as a 17-year-old that I posted earlier? https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/hf7k3v/comment/fvxl2um?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

As archiguy mentioned, where there is smoke there is usually fire. It's hard to believe he always behaved in an entirely professional manner on set. Showtime's The Chi recently dropped one of its main characters (Brandon played by Jason Mitchell) between seasons due to ongoing complaints of inappropriate behavior on set, which he had a history of.

Now these social media allegations against Cas Anvar are forcing the show to dig deep, talk to everyone on the show, and be transparent (i.e., stop ignoring or covering up his behavior if that's what they've been doing).
let the show conduct an official investigation...I'm not saying he did not act creepy but accusing someone of assault is something entirely different...but we shouldn't just make a rush to judgement...last week Justin Bieber was accused of sexual assault...Biebs responded by showing receipts and proof that he wasn't in the location the accuser stated...so don't be so quick to jump on the Me Too wagon...you're coming up with all these zen diagrams of guilt...now you're saying that he might not have acted appropriately on set when there's zero proof of that

·
Registered
536 Posts
So my vote is for a recast. Maybe Naveen Andrews is available?
Characters are recast in Movies and their Sequels and their TV incarnations all the time. How many Batmans or Supermans have we seen? Rhodey? Buffy? When they recast Alex we will get over it and while it will be an adjustment it will be less painful than continuing to watch Cas in that role.

Reactions: Zookster

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
let the show conduct an official investigation...I'm not saying he did not act creepy but accusing someone of assault is something entirely different...but we shouldn't just make a rush to judgement...last week Justin Bieber was accused of sexual assault...Biebs responded by showing receipts and proof that he wasn't in the location the accuser stated...so don't be so quick to jump on the Me Too wagon...you're coming up with all these zen diagrams of guilt...now you're saying that he might not have acted appropriately on set when there's zero proof of that
I agree there needs to be an investigation and I'm actually encouraged there hasn't been any statements or actions taken yet by the show, i.e., no rush to judgments or knee-jerk reactions in response to Twitter allegations. But I do find the first-hand account believable and the former crew member's confirmation that his behavior fits a pattern troubling. The optics alone at this point may make it impossible for the show to keep Cas Anvar, as has been pointed out above.

·
Registered
13,299 Posts
the former crew member's confirmation that his behavior fits a pattern troubling...
it was an ex-crew member plus she didn't give any details as to what it is she saw- Cas texting a girl?, assaulting a girl?...why didn't she report him then?...especially since she wasn't the victim herself...too many unknowns but the social media Me Too police have already convicted him...you're assuming too much- well he was flirting with a 17 year old girl so that must mean he's a rapist too...he was texting female fans with lurid messages so that must mean he acted inappropriately on set too...good thing some of you people don't work in law enforcement

3461 - 3480 of 3591 Posts