AVS Forum banner

3501 - 3520 of 3558 Posts

·
Registered
26,867 Posts
Daniel Abraham has officially announced there is an independent investigation: https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/1276570006466072576
I'm not a tweeter & know nothing about reddit so I am unfamiliar with that world. But that was an interesting thread there. Daniel Abraham had a couple of very interesting posts. I especially liked his response to the Pharma exec who confessed to the multi-zillion dollar campaign to denigrate Canada's single-payer system and pump up ours as "the best in the world", now feeling a little guilty given at how badly America has botched the 'rona crisis. :D Also his response to Rubio's tweet that "95% of people who get COVID don't die from it". :rolleyes:

I wonder how those guys decide to post on social media as themselves and when they do it jointly as "James SA Corey"? Flip a coin?

·
Registered
395 Posts
A couple things. I like the character Alex and would prefer this bad press go away. so in that context after reading the link on 3476 the 17 yo was in his hotel room willingly. I ask what everyone else here was doing at 17 and then again if the mans behavior didn't turn creepy what would have happened? she went into his room willingly, why. she declined his offer and he stopped then later apologized. The stuff about playing video games, well there isn't much left.

Think about being 17, I was graduating HS, had been to parties, concerts, had girlfriends, etc. Fact, If I was invited into a hotel room under any pretense, say free booze, whatever, I knew a hotel was a room with a bed, not a sofa a bed. come on. As long as the person has the ability to refuse there is no crime no matter how vulgar. some people are just creeps...that said I think the character he plays is a bit weird in a harmless way.
OK, now everybody thinks i'm an a-hole, but if he crosses the line from talking creepy to sexual assault, and I think there has to be physical contact, or stalking to qualify, charge him. I have 2 daughters and if someone touches them without their consent it's going down!
The damage is probably already done. He may not have crossed the line, but just the fact that he pushes it, lives there may be enough to distract viewers from the story line.
Lastly, I haven't read the books and would appreciate fans advice, like Steven king movies are usually a letdown after reading the book. Would you read the books before or after watching the series?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Lastly, I haven't read the books and would appreciate fans advice, like Steven king movies are usually a letdown after reading the book. Would you read the books before or after watching the series?

The books are so good...and the TV adaptations are so good...that I would encourage reading/viewing them whenever possible. I consider the Expanse books (with one installment left) up there with Asimov's Foundation series (beyond the Trilogy). I would be very disappointed to see any of the excellent TV cast replaced.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,391 Posts
Is there a comparable case where an actor's alleged bad behavior risks his role, and there's still an entire unaired season featuring that actor soon to be aired? Assuming the worst (which I don't, I have no basis), could S5 be in jeopardy?
House of cards, Kevin Spacey situation

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I'm not a tweeter & know nothing about reddit so I am unfamiliar with that world. But that was an interesting thread there. Daniel Abraham had a couple of very interesting posts. I especially liked his response to the Pharma exec who confessed to the multi-zillion dollar campaign to denigrate Canada's single-payer system and pump up ours as "the best in the world", now feeling a little guilty given at how badly America has botched the 'rona crisis. :D Also his response to Rubio's tweet that "95% of people who get COVID don't die from it". :rolleyes:

I wonder how those guys decide to post on social media as themselves and when they do it jointly as "James SA Corey"? Flip a coin?
Ty Franck doesn't have his own Twitter account as Daniel Abraham does. And according to the Expanse fan wiki, he operates both the James S.A. Corey Twitter and Reddit accounts. The James S.A. Corey account recently posted something in the first person about grilling bison steaks with his wife, so Franck apparently posts as James S.A. Corey for both personal and TV show/book related content—in addition to sharing his political views, much to the chagrin of some fans, though probably mostly bots.

I only got into Twitter in the past few years mainly to follow favorite SFF authors and then Expanse writers/cast regarding the campaign to save the show. Cas Anvar was the first actor I ever followed on Twitter. That was quickly followed by Cara Gee, who is personally responsible for providing me with what is still (pathetically enough) my all-time favorite Twitter moment (attached). Of course I took a screen shot. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
26,867 Posts
One bit of good news in the middle of all this, reading through some of those tweets, one fan said "This will unfortunately taint our viewing pleasure for season 5 if we see it at all. Sad."

To which Daniel Abraham replied, "FWIW, season 5 is fu***ng awesome." :D

Well, alrighty then! Having read "Nemesis Games" (book 5), I have no doubt. :)

·
Registered
18,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,507
I don’t get the tweeter. Maybe some of you seasoned tweeters can shed some light. What’s up with this retweeting thing? What’s the point? If a tweeter likes a Twit so much they must retweet it? Is it like a super upvote? Retweet status? Reminds me of the chain emails from the late 90’s - 00’s.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I don’t get the tweeter. Maybe some of you seasoned tweeters can shed some light. What’s up with this retweeting thing? What’s the point? If a tweeter likes a Twit so much they must retweet it? Is it like a super upvote? Retweet status? Reminds me of the chain emails from the late 90’s - 00’s.
I'm not an expert, but from what I can tell, the King of the Twitter Hill is the person with the most followers. And you gain followers by posting and retweeting content people are interested in. Since it's impossible to generate dozens of pieces of original content that's compelling every day, you have to share things others posted. And people often retweet with their own commentary on it, even if it's just an emoji.

If you're a company, nonprofit organization, or individual (like an author or musician) trying to promote yourself, the more you retweet and are retweeted back, the more your name gets out there. (I recently discovered a new author I like because another author I follow retweeted/liked something she had posted about her new book.)

For those not interested in, or have no hope of, being King of Twitter Hell (like me), it's also about sharing content within your respective community or special interest group. As a professional editor, I retweet blog links and interesting insights related to language, publishing, writing, editing, etc. For example, two of my most recent retweets were articles posted by AP Style Book and Merriam-Webster.

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
everyone keeps saying how amazing Nemesis Games is so nothing can lower my hype meter for Season 5...seems like it's a lot of people's favorite book in the series...should be amazing!

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts

Think of re-tweeting as forwarding an email (to all your contacts).

When person B re-tweets Person A’s tweet, then all of Person B’s followers can see the tweet.

·
Registered
18,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,512 (Edited)
I'm not an expert, but from what I can tell, the King of the Twitter Hill is the person with the most followers. And you gain followers by posting and retweeting content people are interested in. Since it's impossible to generate dozens of pieces of original content that's compelling every day, you have to share things others posted. And people often retweet with their own commentary on it, even if it's just an emoji.

If you're a company, nonprofit organization, or individual (like an author or musician) trying to promote yourself, the more you retweet and are retweeted back, the more your name gets out there. (I recently discovered a new author I like because another author I follow retweeted/liked something she had posted about her new book.)

For those not interested in, or have no hope of, being King of Twitter Hell (like me), it's also about sharing content within your respective community or special interest group. As a professional editor, I retweet blog links and interesting insights related to language, publishing, writing, editing, etc. For example, two of my most recent retweets were articles posted by AP Style Book and Merriam-Webster.

Think of re-tweeting as forwarding an email (to all your contacts).

When person B re-tweets Person A’s tweet, then all of Person B’s followers can see the tweet.
Thanks. I understand a bit better... Although something about an old dog and new tricks is in play here.

Reactions: 73shark and aaronwt

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a grudge against Twitter — many articles I read insist upon citing Twitter comments by writing what a commenter or commenters have tweeted, then retell the reader the same damned thing by copying the entire tweet in the article underneath what they just told us. It gets worse - much worse - when the article’s author proceeds to tell us what other Tweeters responded, yet put both the entire response plus the original Tweet in the article once again! Are these authors being paid by the column inch, is there a copyright issue that forces this nonsense or do they just like to make their articles a mess?

Generally, I consider Tweeter an evil component of our culture and one that should die in pain.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Generally, I consider Tweeter an evil component of our culture and one that should die in pain.
I don't use it (I don't have time for yet another platform of communication), but some people I respect seem to find it very useful while also still acknowledging the darker, more problematic aspects.

I forget where I saw this, but it has been stuck in my head for the last couple weeks. Somebody said that Facebook and Twitter together are the most powerful media sources in the history of the world.

That statement is all the more startling when you also consider that they have been largely unregulated.

·
Registered
26,487 Posts
I have a grudge against Twitter — many articles I read insist upon citing Twitter comments by writing what a commenter or commenters have tweeted, then retell the reader the same damned thing by copying the entire tweet in the article underneath what they just told us. It gets worse - much worse - when the article’s author proceeds to tell us what other Tweeters responded, yet put both the entire response plus the original Tweet in the article once again! Are these authors being paid by the column inch, is there a copyright issue that forces this nonsense or do they just like to make their articles a mess?
I also find this extremely annoying. Articles like that are usually clickbait. The author embeds the original tweets directly from Twitter, and typically does not have control over the formatting of the embed. They also have to repeat the content of the tweet in the text of the article because there's a risk the embed could disappear (or be blocked) and readers won't have any idea what was said.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Over the last month or so, I have watched the whole series for the first time on Amazon. (Looks great in HDR on LG C8 OLED). And I have a question...

What happened to the protomolecule sample given to Fred Johnson by Naomi? After the events of the final episode, did it become inert like the small piece on the Roci?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Over the last month or so, I have watched the whole series for the first time on Amazon. (Looks great in HDR on LG C8 OLED). And I have a question...

What happened to the protomolecule sample given to Fred Johnson by Naomi? After the events of the final episode, did it become inert like the small piece on the Roci?
If they are following the books, I suspect we'll find out at the beginning of next season.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
3501 - 3520 of 3558 Posts