AVS Forum banner

4001 - 4020 of 4060 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Regarding tonight’s episode (S5E7) - I dare say, this is the best “TV” I’ve ever watched. Very good stuff tonight. I can actually say I found it riveting. The whole series has been a riot.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
another slow burn episode focusing on the Marco/Filip/Naomi family drama...that being said there were 2 really cool moments- the final 5 minutes with Naomi spacing herself to get to her ship and the Rocinante's fight against the Zemeya's torpedoes...one of the cool things about this show is how not everything is explicitly shown through dialogue or action

you need to pay attention to the small details...watch what Marco is doing on his computer terminal as everything is going on...pause the scene and look carefully...some things are being foreshadowed or explained without it being obvious regarding the Martian conspiracy, the protomolecule sample etc

my theory as a non-book reader is that the protomolecule was attached to a torpedo and fired out during that battle and then diverted to a secret location as I saw a blue trail around one of the torpedoes...the only science part of the episode that I questioned was when Bobbie just casually removed the bullet fragment and left it floating inside the ship...seems like a potentially dangerous maneuver

·
Registered
18,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,004
That was another damn fine episode. This season is firing on all thrusters. Thought Naomi was leaving us for sec at the end. Cyn wasn’t so lucky. Avasarala missed a golden opportunity when she told Alex and Bobbi to get their asses to safety when she should have said get your asses to Mahs.😁

·
Registered
14,450 Posts

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
if Marco's plan was to kill Holden why didn't he just wait until Holden boarded the Zmeya and then detonate the explosives?...seemed like an easy kill...special shoutout to Brent Sexton who did a fantastic job playing Cyn...great job with the Belter dialect as well...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
here's the true story of someone who was accidentally exposed to total vacuum as part of a NASA test...

So Cyn should have had another 11 seconds before unconsciousness.
Naomi waited 37 seconds to take the injection, unknown how she prepped to last 37 seconds in a vacuum but conceivable given available tech, belter conditioning and a little planing (something she could have simply done on the way to the air lock).
69 seconds till Naomi experience atmosphere in the airlock.
Now why can't they just bring the ship back? Will Naomi be able to disable the remote nav?

·
Registered
117 Posts
So this was the episode that threw all the science away? I was annoyed with the yacht and Inaros' ship suddenly having gravity. I was even more annoyed by the last 5 minutes. Just no.

Sent using Tapatalk
What science are you referring to? Your movie experience science where people blow up of freeze solid in space. I was in that corner but did some reading on it a while back. and although this is far fetched for sure it is plausible. SA Corey is a good follow on twitter and explains a lot of this stuff. They try to base things on real science.
I always thought you died instantly if exposed to space but apparently not.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
So Cyn should have had another 11 seconds before unconsciousness.
Naomi waited 37 seconds to take the injection, unknown how she prepped to last 37 seconds in a vacuum but conceivable given available tech, belter conditioning and a little planing (something she could have simply done on the way to the air lock).
69 seconds till Naomi experience atmosphere in the airlock.
Now why can't they just bring the ship back? Will Naomi be able to disable the remote nav?
Remembering the book details where this same thing happened. First, I think they made the distance and trip longer in the show. Second, they made a point that Naomi had figured this out and knew that she had to expel the breath in her lungs for this to work. Third, she won't escape unhurt.

·
Registered
241 Posts
What science are you referring to? Your movie experience science where people blow up of freeze solid in space. I was in your corner but did some reading on it a while back. and although this is far fetched for sure it is plausible. SA Corey is a good follow on twitter and explains a lot of this stuff. They try to base things on real science.
I always thought you died instantly if exposed to space but apparently not.
You do freeze solid, but it takes along time. I forget the actual terms, but since there is no air there is no direct contact like freezing cold air or water. But as the belters say "Not be good outside ship, sa sa".

·
Registered
117 Posts
You do freeze solid, but it takes along time. I forget the actual terms, but since there is no air there is no direct contact like freezing cold air or water. But as the belters say "Not be good outside ship, sa sa".
Maybe I hated The Last Jedi for no reason now that I know this...... na, it was still garbage.

·
Registered
639 Posts
One of the most on-the-mark and funniest of the YouTuber/critics finally watches the series:

That was a really fun watch!
Even with a fairly comprehensive high level plot overview and many many brief video bits there's not a lot in the way of true spoilers.

Reactions: David F

·
Registered
301 Posts
if Marco's plan was to kill Holden why didn't he just wait until Holden boarded the Zmeya and then detonate the explosives?...seemed like an easy kill...special shoutout to Brent Sexton who did a fantastic job playing Cyn...great job with the Belter dialect as well...

I don't understand the question. I'm pretty sure Holden accidentally killed the Zmeya. If the Zmeya had a remote destruct Marco wouldn't have needed the Chetzemoka as a decoy. Also, "if I can't have it, no one can" isn't really an option for Marco. His possession of the PM is the only thing keeping the Free Navy from being obliterated by Mars, the UN and the OPA.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I don't understand the question. I'm pretty sure Holden accidentally killed the Zmeya. If the Zmeya had a remote destruct Marco wouldn't have needed the Chetzemoka as a decoy. Also, "if I can't have it, no one can" isn't really an option for Marco. His possession of the PM is the only thing keeping the Free Navy from being obliterated by Mars, the UN and the OPA.
I don't think there was any remote destruct on the Zmeya. Also, we've already learned that Marco is in league with a significant faction on Mars. Marco has been using the PM as a threat to keep Earth from retaliating but Monica figured out that the PM plus the scientist (Cortazar) were probably the price for the warships. Marco probably no longer has the PM and it may be that it was just transferred in TT's posts above.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
I didn't see it that way but you could be right...I thought the Rocinante only disabled the Zmeya's drive so it could be boarded...as far as the Chetzemoka, Marco always seems to have multiple back-up plans...the original plan for the Rocinante was to destroy it when it took off from Tycho Station with the malicious Augustin Gamarra code...so everything with the Zmeya and Chetzemoka was just Marco being resourceful and creating new plans when his original one didn't work

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It's not an explosive in that sense. It 's the nuclear core itself. The "normal" computer program that controls the fusion starttup reaction was modified by Naomi. "

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
It's not an explosive in that sense. It 's the nuclear core itself. The "normal" computer program that controls the fusion starttup reaction was modified by Naomi. "
are you saying that...the Augustin Gamarra code was activated on the Zmeya causing the explosion?

4001 - 4020 of 4060 Posts