AVS Forum banner

4021 - 4040 of 4060 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Shower-thought - I think Brent Sexton would have been a better Bull and José Zúñiga would have been a better Cyn - thoughts?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Shower-thought - I think Brent Sexton would have been a better Bull and José Zúñiga would have been a better Cyn - thoughts?
I dunno...The scene where Cyn towers over Marco in anger would have been a lot less impressive if it had been José Zúñiga.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
What science are you referring to? Your movie experience science where people blow up of freeze solid in space. I was in that corner but did some reading on it a while back. and although this is far fetched for sure it is plausible. SA Corey is a good follow on twitter and explains a lot of this stuff. They try to base things on real science.
I always thought you died instantly if exposed to space but apparently not.
The end of this episode is the long-delayed payoff for the scene in Season 1 where the Belter miner (Diogo's uncle) casually opens his helmet visor in the vacuum to scratch an itch. That scene felt like a puzzling non-sequitur at the time, but it was really some deep foreshadowing to establish that survival in the vacuum is possible for short amounts of time. A body won't instantly freeze or explode, as shown in too many sci-fi movies.

Belters spend their entire lives in space, and EVAs are just a routine part of life. If anyone understands what is and isn't possible in the vacuum, it's a Belter, especially one with a science and engineering background like Naomi.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Brent Sexton is closer to what I pictured Bull from the Abbadon's Gate novel. Powerful guy, ex UNMC. I don't get that at all from Jose Zuniga.

That scene felt like a puzzling non-sequitur at the time, but it was really some deep foreshadowing to establish that survival in the vacuum is possible for short amounts of time. A body won't instantly freeze or explode, as shown in too many sci-fi movies.
Even the grand-daddy of sci-fi movies, 2001: a Space Odyssey, shows that short-duration exposure to vacuum doesn't kill you. So does Guardians of the Galaxy.

But we're left with the legacy of Total Recall, Mission to Mars and Outland.

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
Okay, maybe I missed something. In the last episode, didn't Alex dump the Razorback's core in order to detonate the torpedo that one of Marco's ships had launched at them, his last card, the only one he had left to play? We saw the Razorback's drive plume go out and it went into a tumbling float as soon as that happened.

Then the next time we see the Razerback, in this episode, it's at full thrust and Alex is sending a message to Holden that they're on the way to Tycho. What, did they just have a spare core onboard or something?

Also, Bobbie says something about killing one of Marco's ships in her message to Avasarela. Say what? When did that happen?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Okay, maybe I missed something. In the last episode, didn't Alex dump the Razorback's core in order to detonate the torpedo that one of Marco's ships had launched at them, his last card, the only one he had left to play? We saw the Razorback's drive plume go out and it went into a tumbling float as soon as that happened.

Then the next time we see the Razerback, in this episode, it's at full thrust and Alex is sending a message to Holden that they're on the way to Tycho. What, did they just have a spare core onboard or something?

Also, Bobbie says something about killing one of Marco's ships in her message to Avasarela. Say what? When did that happen?
The "core" is just that plume thing created by the reactor, they can make a new one but it takes time. Someone else explains this better in another post. It's also a part of the Aftershow talk.

Alex plants a bomb on the enemy ship while Bobbie shoots the crap out of the free navy gang trying to board the Razerback giving time for the reactor to create a new core. They race away with their new core when Alex remotely tells the Razerback to run away from the impending explosion.

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
Alex plants a bomb on the enemy ship while Bobbie shoots the crap out of the free navy gang trying to board the Razerback giving time for the reactor to create a new core. They race away with their new core when Alex remotely tells the Razerback to run away from the impending explosion.
Oh yeah, I had forgotten that part, thanks. Shouldn't drink when I watch the show. 😄

·
Registered
5,211 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
...Monica figured out that the PM plus the scientist (Cortazar) were probably the price for the warships. Marco probably no longer has the PM and it may be that it was just transferred in TT's posts above.
RIght but, without re-watching the entire episode, who else knows that besides the crews of the Roci and Razorback? Until the word gets out that M.I. doesn't have the P.M. that plan still lives. Seems like a bad plan BTW but we'll see how it unfolds.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I didn't see it that way but you could be right...I thought the Rocinante only disabled the Zmeya's drive so it could be boarded...as far as the Chetzemoka, Marco always seems to have multiple back-up plans...the original plan for the Rocinante was to destroy it when it took off from Tycho Station with the malicious Augustin Gamarra code...so everything with the Zmeya and Chetzemoka was just Marco being resourceful and creating new plans when his original one didn't work
Yeah they were just trying to disable the Zmeya but they... ummm... ...missed. Hence Holden proclaiming "s**t". ...vintage Holden.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
RIght but, without re-watching the entire episode, who else knows that besides the crews of the Roci and Razorback? Until the word gets out that M.I. doesn't have the P.M. that plan still lives. Seems like a bad plan BTW but we'll see how it unfolds.
We did see that Bobby and Alex relayed that info to Avasarala so there's that.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I know Naomi had free walk of the ship earlier in the episode, but didn't Marco have her put back into her cell after informing her that he'd be using her (former) ship as another trap? How did she get from her cell to the airlock?

Also thanks @dnoonie for describing how the Razorback generated another core. I must have missed the earlier post where it was explained. I guess I was thinking of how Star Trek handles core ejection.

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
I know Naomi had free walk of the ship earlier in the episode, but didn't Marco have her put back into her cell after informing her that he'd be using her (former) ship as another trap? How did she get from her cell to the airlock?

Also thanks @dnoonie for describing how the Razorback generated another core. I must have missed the earlier post where it was explained. I guess I was thinking of how Star Trek handles core ejection.
Marco let her out again. Slow learner. Or, maybe he was hoping she'd try to kill him again and he'd have another excuse to space her, or force Filip to do it. But she actually saved him the trouble and spaced herself!

I need to read the authors' explanation of the fusion drive core and how it works (if I can find it). I was under the impression that the reactor was the core. As you say, like in the Star Trek universe.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks @archiguy I must have missed where he let her back out. I may have to watch it again. I was a a little surprised how easily Filip was influenced by Marco. He seemed to making a good connection with Naomi, but one quick speech washed all that away.

I did read the Churn and I finally decided to stat reading the book series. I'm only partway through book 1, but it will be fun to fill in the blanks and see how the books and TV series differ. And see what happens after book 6 unless another network decides to do books 7-9.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I need to read the authors' explanation of the fusion drive core and how it works (if I can find it). I was under the impression that the reactor was the core. As you say, like in the Star Trek universe.
I can't remember if it was in the books or the series and maybe I have it wrong, but when the various ships had to shut down to show the Ringgate that they weren't a threat, I think they had to drop the core which would mean that it is more stopping the reaction rather than the actual drive since the ships were all able to start up again.

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
I can't remember if it was in the books or the series and maybe I have it wrong, but when the various ships had to shut down to show the Ringgate that they weren't a threat, I think they had to drop the core which would mean that it is more stopping the reaction rather than the actual drive since the ships were all able to start up again.
I don't remember them dropping their cores or ejecting anything. Just that they had to shut down their reactors. Once the Protomolecule saw there were no more fusion reactions going on in the ring-space, it would interpret that as them no longer being a threat, per "Miller".

Of course, as we saw on Ilus, the PM has the ability itself to shut down fusion reactions if it sees them as a threat. So theoretically, it could have done the same thing in the ring space without taking the rather drastic step of "cauterizing" the solar system.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
it seems like they're setting Bull up to be the new pilot of the Rocinante in Season 6...with Cas Anvar being written out it seems the story pivoted just the right way in Season 5 to allow a seamless transition from Alex to Bull

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
it seems like they're setting Bull up to be the new pilot of the Rocinante in Season 6...with Cas Anvar being written out it seems the story pivoted just the right way in Season 5 to allow a seamless transition from Alex to Bull
It's a little odd because Drummer essentially played the Bull role in Season 3 except Bull didn't make it out of Book 3. Now Drummer is essentially playing the Michio Pa role even though there is a Michio Pa character in her polyamorous relationship on her ship.

Your comment was guessed at previously but, remember, Season 5 was shot before the stuff about Anvar came out so I'm not sure I would agree that anything was set up by any of the episodes. It may still come to pass but I'm guessing it is someone else.

4021 - 4040 of 4060 Posts