AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that I keep on hearing on the forum that everyone is having difficulty with their center speaker level. I mean I would understand if center speaker was small compared to the rest but in running all five identicals and still had this prob, so I run it around 1-2db hot. Is this the way the sound engineer intended??

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang323 /forum/post/19632970

Why is it that I keep on hearing on the forum that everyone is having difficulty with their center speaker level.

They aren't, maybe some. Most obvious cause is mismatched speakers. Other than that, speakers of the same model can vary a bit in output because of manufacturing variances, same with the amp's output for different channels. And placement in the room can make a difference. Left and right front often wind up near side walls which can give some reinforcement. Center doesn't get that help. 1 or 2 dB is no big deal. It is barely perceptible.

·
Registered
30,789 Posts
I think that placement is the major cause of such problems. People put the center on the floor, on top of a display what is already above the mantel, off-center and deep inside an "entertainment center or, as I recently saw, behind the display.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/19633322

They aren't, maybe some. Most obvious cause is mismatched speakers. Other than that, speakers of the same model can vary a bit in output because of manufacturing variances, same with the amp's output for different channels. And placement in the room can make a difference. Left and right front often wind up near side walls which can give some reinforcement. Center doesn't get that help. 1 or 2 dB is no big deal. It is barely perceptible.

Let's not confuse the OP with spurious issues. Mismatched speakers, mismatched speaker efficiency, and mismatched amp gain have no bearing on dialog intelligibility of the center speaker. Efficiency and gain differences are all dialed out during the calibration process.

Now if you have poor room acoustics, poor speakers, poor placement, poor calibration, poor EQ, then those can all take their toll in sound quality, and need to be addressed.

The other factor not mentioned is that movies are played in theaters rather louder than they are at home, 10-20 dB typically. That makes a difference in intelligibility too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts