AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 600 Posts

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth it? Are you ready to forgive and forget? Still holding on to your beliefs that the original release is good enough? Do we finally have something we can use to demo our High Definition capable home theater and finally retire the good old Superbit DVD?

I decided to put most of the Fifth Element caps in this thread instead of the other one because of its notoriety. Other movies will go there as usual of course.

English PCM 5.1

Dolby TrueHD 5.1

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
21.60 GB Mpeg-2........................................................... ............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ 35.10 GB AVC

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
OHLY CRAP

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS????????????????????????????????

and The MPEG2 is crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have a face closeup.. or the scene when they reanimate her.. i think you already have a MPEG2 shot of that...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Whoah how did you get a copy so early, Xylon?? It's not due for release until the 17th!

P.S. Even in that one shot above the difference is striking. Much better mastering! Take a look at the lower right corner of the MPEG2 image and all you see is a brownish smudge. The same area on the AVC encode is more detailed. Also, the "scratch" near the center of the image is a lot crisper on the AVC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It looks to be much improved over the original release. I'll be picking this up soon.

·
Registered
10,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmonster /forum/post/0

What about all the other terrible MPEG2 releases from Sony?

I hope they are being replaced one by one. But thus far this is the absolute worst so I'm glad Sony's replacing it. For free, nonetheless!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmonster /forum/post/0

What about all the other terrible MPEG2 releases from Sony?

5th element is special.. The master used in the MPEG2 version isn't even the same as the Superbit on DVD. I think the Superbit was a Japanese master, they've used the same one for this release..

·
Registered
5,233 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
No compression artifacts, more fine detail and it makes the old version look under-exposed! I think we are onto a winner here.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Holy ****, especially the 2nd shot of the ship. Look at the color reproduction. It's like comparing DVD and HD.

Also, when did Sony start putting artwork on the disc? Usually they have that lame swoosh and the title.

1 - 20 of 600 Posts