AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So surprised on the lack of chatting about this game! Please don't judge it by some of the bad reviews, by far one of the most underrated games! It is not perfect but it sure is hell a lot of fun! Any other AVSers burning their arms out there? Love to swap some tips before I take my game online!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I too was curious about this game...and may pick it up along with

GT5 if it comes out Tues .

Seems people just want to chat about things we have no control over...and about silly 3D .

I would love to hear people impressions other than review sites .

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Most reviews seem to approach it like chubby guys who don't want to throw down.

Not that it doesn't have issues, but I understand that it isn't for casuals - you have to really fight like real life if you want to do well and you will sweat in this 60 fps brawler a LOT. A nice bonus is you can also fight online.

iWaggle has a very balanced and detailed review in this video (BTW, the developer says they will patch in transparency for your character soon):

Also, here's a REALLY detailed writeup from a NeoGAF gamer who seems to be really into it:

Quote:
So I played a fair bit of The Fight now, and so far I'm actually quite pleased with it. The camera is only an issue for me in so far as that it is sometimes hard to see if you are doing a good body shot, although your opponent and sound does give you good feedback on that. I don't know if I just lucked out on picking a good camera, but generally I don't have to see all that much to be able to visualise what's going on.

The replay of my first match (which has decent options like viewing from all angles, pausing forwarding, etc.) showed that my body shots were way too low. Also, since my 'wing-span' is almost 2 meters, for calibration I sort of have to lean back if I were to do it properly, but you can fake it a little. This is one of the first games that gives an estimate on your size though based on two calibration moves.

The head-tracking doesn't work for me, as more or less expected. I may try again during the day, but the developers themselves basically indicated that they couldn't really do it for this game, also because of if you defend properly, your head will be mostly hidden (though I think from there you can probably still guess where the head is, if you take it further).

The training room is satisfying for me - I understand what I need to do (on the heavy bag do one-two's, and occasionally hit the red circle area when it pops up), using the movement of the bag properly and not missing - once you start missing, you fail out. It's a good exercise also for improving your spatial awareness. Same goes for the speed training, which realistically requires you to maintain a rhythm that suits the way the ball bounces, and you have a meter that stays in the green as long as you manage to keep the ball going. There's no faking it here, and once you get the skill down (I got it down very quickly at a pretty high pace) it simply relies on you to get tired. And trust me, you do! I still feel my arms, I think I lasted almost 4 minutes, and that netted me 13 skill points I could use on my fighter.

The walking around using the Move as a kind of joystick while pressing the Action/Move button (which you can conveniently use either hand for) works good and I look forward to more games using this for free roaming while keeping full 1:1 control for both hands available.

I also went online and there was no-one to play with yet, which is not a big surprise I think. However, the game gives you an opponent that doesn't defend himself while you wait, which is incredibly satisfying for just experimenting with all sorts of bloody hits. I do think though that this game has some very good potential for online - we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

While they say they sacrificed a transparent character for 60fps, I have to say that the game often doesn't feel like 60fps - I think there are some real slowdowns occasionally.

Finally, Trejo as your trainer/instructor is a nice touch. He does a decent job, much better than most nonsense in videogames, and its fun to see him talk about/hold Move controllers and diss the alternative control scheme where you use a sixaxis for the second hand.
:

The balance for the career mode is interesting, in that you have to fight to make money, and you need the money to do trainings that can net you skill-points to upgrade your character with. This balances the game, but whomever can do the training stuff better will faster upgrade their character, which is interesting.

So far, my impressions of this game are quite favorable.

~~~

Ok, had another session. First note of business though - I set up my fighter with 23 points for technique, almost nothing for heart and chin, and 10,7 and 6 for strength, speed and stamina. I think the 23 points for technique were a bit much - Trejo mentioned something like 'I see were going for 'experimental' here'.

I found out quickly in my second match though in the first set of fights that adding some chin and heart are worth it. Basically you'll want to have at least everything at 10 as soon as possible, and take it from there. After 10, it starts taking more points to upgrade your fighter (first 2 ability points for 1 rating point, then 3, etc.). So I used my ability points to set everything at 10 at least.

This of course invited doing some more practice. This time I went for target practice first, which is the type of sparring you do with someone who has punch gloves for you to bash into, as you've seen in a tonne of boxing flicks. It's actually very good, and should be one of the first things you do to test whether or not you're being tracked right and you understand how to control your fighter. I found out for instance that the way I was hitting my left hook, I was reaching out of the camera range (because I also lean forward a little), which basically broke it. So this exercise quickly got me understanding the limits of my field of view (remember, my 'wing-span' is 2m, and I'm standing at less than 1.6m from the TV with my calves pressed into our couch - I actually placed the camera a little upwards and back behind the TV this time so I could actualy reach out my arms completely which just about fits exactly into the field of view).

So once I got that figured, it was actually pretty easy to do this exercise. For as far as I played it, it asks for uppercuts, forward jabs, and hooks. You don't have to hit them hard, and it doesn't really matter with which arm you for instance manage to hit the glove (the forward jabs are easily reachable with both arms for me). It feels good. So far I'm really digging the exercises. If you get these type of hits down, you can win a fight at least in theory.
It's good to be aware of at least these types of hits, though if you want to win a fight you also need to work the body, which not much of the exercises pay attention to so far. It is a fairly easy excercise, so good for earning some ability points too. The first exercise which I tried again also (the punching bag), remains a tough one, though I still enjoy it a lot and the physics on them are cool - I just wish you could play it without a fail-state.

I then (after losing my fight again) proceeded to do the other exercises as well. Endurance asks me to fight one opponent after the other, and is hard to keep up with long enough to score points (at least I couldn't do it after two or three times, but I did at least pass a bunch of rounds after the first attempt). You have to stick close to your fighter you lose, so you're going to track your fighter if he moves away from you. Finally, I went to basic sparring, which is actually good and a place that you should spend some time in - you need to at least be able to take this guy down on default settings, and then you can basically measure your efficiency by how many calories you burnt. For instance, after a few tries I got him down from 29 to 14 calories.

After last fight, for I'm not sure what anymore (but it tells you - I think it's actually for not doing the finishing move on him when he was reeling, which gave me the 'Saint' achievement), I also earned a first 'dirty' move, a hammer fist. Trejo explains how it works, and it's pretty good - however, since you're awarded more for fighting clean, it does make you only want to use it if you're getting desperate (at least for me). Now for the second fight, the setup was different - you start with an 80$ counter, and the faster you beat him, the more of that cash is left for you to take. However, crucially, you also earn cash for hard hits and such - for instance, a hard hit gives you $5. So you usually take enough away from a fight to at least heal yourself and do some more training. On the other hand, each battle you lose takes away rating points and after three losses I was back to zero (so again, exercise early, exercise often).

So when you're preparing for this fight, what's the key thing here is that you time your shots, and spend your energy wisely. Look for a good opportunity and land one or two hits. When he's reeling a little you can get a few more hits in, but your energy for hitting runs out fast enough so you'll want to go back into cover and position. When he's defending his face and or is close to you, go for body blows and if he goes out of cover when he's still close, time for an upper-cut. Most of this stuff makes a lot of sense, though I would have expected perhaps some more training on boxing technique. And I think the earlier you make yourself comfortable with walking and moving (dodging left and right) around, the better.

Also, when you sustain injuries, you have to heal them or pay the price in terms of shorter stamina in the next fight.

Right now this game is not easy. This is not a 'casual' game, unless maybe you're a casual boxer. But so far I'm enjoying it a lot and can heartily recommend it if a game that forces you to really box AND train (training is the only way to improve your stats, after all), it's worth it.

So I managed to win my second fight, and this game me another award that gives me a money boost for winning against players ranked higher, and a silver trophy. This was for beating someone who is ranked more than 50%, so that either means that there's an advantage to losing a bunch of times first (kills your ranking to zero), or perhaps I've picked my second fight unwisely.

I'm going to bed now happily exhausted, and so far the game seems to be what I hoped it would be.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Thia is my one and only game on my X-mas list. GT5 was pre-ordered last year. I had to hold myself back from buying The Fight myself, so maybe the patch will be out by the time I get it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've been playing the single player all week long. It has been making me sweat like no other game. Here's a few quick things I'll point out with my experience so far.

Presentation/Graphics:

Gritty is probably the best word to describe what you see. It has an occasional tiny splash of color here and there. To me it looks good. Casting Danny Trejo as your trainer was perfect. Menu navigation seems slightly tedious. It works the same way as you would with the XMB, but it's a lot slower. I'll live with it.

Controls:

The Move controllers seems to be tracked perfectly, but sometimes if I swing out of the cameras view, it'll cause my character's arm to be sticking higher up than normal. Which is easily fixed by pressing the O button to set to default guard stance. Otherwise, when you connect your punches to your enemies' head, it's extremely rewarding.

Headtracking I've only just tried 20 minutes ago, because I've been playing without lights on during the late night sessions. It seemed to be working great, but I'll probably not use it because of my gaming hours.

Character movement seemed very awkward at first. You move by holding either Move button and tilting slightly in the direction you want to go. It took me a while to get used to this, but I eventually got the hang of it. No more complaints from me, it works good.

Audio:

This might be the weakest part of the game. I could wish for more varied sounds when the punches connect. But it's not too bad.

Online play:

Haven't played against other people, probably won't unless they're my friends. But being able to spectate others duking it out is unique, and betting on the fight is pretty damn cool. Another fun aspect is that during the match, it may ask you to place a bet on which player will do more damage in the next 30secs and you can choose to bet or not.

I can easily say that this game got better over time. The big media sites gave this game an unfair review without playing the game thoroughly.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Good impressions. People really seem to like it... I may have to get it down the line.

BTW, here's a beginner's boxing manual recommended at the GAF by a gamer who spars in real life. Apparently the game is fluid and responsive enough to make use of these kind of techniques.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I played for a little while just to open the box. I went through some of the training sessions (with Machete!), and didn't really find any issues. I can guess that having to chase someone down won't be fun if it actually happens, but up to now I haven't seen anything that would keep me from playing it. It wears me the heck out though!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Has anyone tried to play the game with one Move wand and two Move wands?

Since it's a fighting game, two wands make sense to simulate two arms/hands. But how does the game work with only one wand? Does the wand take turn to switch between the left and right arms/hands, one arm/hand automated by AI, or only fight with one arm/hand? Or the game requires having two wands to play?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
How's the tracking speed? If I punch fast, will it:

a) respond with a fast punch (most videos I've seen had people who aren't punching very fast)?

b) break my controller from snapping it back and forth repeatedly?

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
^^ I actually wondered about that myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/19528315

Has anyone tried to play the game with one Move wand and two Move wands?

Since it's a fighting game, two wands make sense to simulate two arms/hands. But how does the game work with only one wand?

If you are stuck with one Move, here is a video clip that might offer some tactical help.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I played with 2 controllers. It does seem to be velocity sensitive. I see a little (slight) lag, but it could be my TV. I don't have a lag-free set for sure. Some sort of calibration like Rock Band has could probably help a lot of these Move games. Seems like it would be pretty easy to do - maybe use the controller itself in a flash mode similar to what the RB2 guitar does, just in reverse. Or maybe tap the controller against your hand while watching a metronome like RB2.

To be clear, the lag is very slight, and for me does not impact gameplay.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19529640

I played with 2 controllers. It does seem to be velocity sensitive. I see a little (slight) lag, but it could be my TV. I don't have a lag-free set for sure. Some sort of calibration like Rock Band has could probably help a lot of these Move games. Seems like it would be pretty easy to do - maybe use the controller itself in a flash mode similar to what the RB2 guitar does, just in reverse. Or maybe tap the controller against your hand while watching a metronome like RB2.

To be clear, the lag is very slight, and for me does not impact gameplay.

Can you help replay the game with only one wand? I like to know how playable it is like what you can't do or harder to do.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/19529862

Can you help replay the game with only one wand? I like to know how playable it is like what you can't do or harder to do.

Unfortunately I haven't had time since that post to fire back up the PS3 for games. The holidays are always a very busy time for me, and by the time I'm able to settle down the PS3 is used to watch a movie instead of doing anything active.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've been playing every night for about a week. Great game, I look forward to it every night, but only can handle about 30 mins before I'm too tired. I've been trying to get my guy's stats up, they are all around 30 now and he is much better at responding to my motions. The devs make you level up so the fight is not too easy in the beginning. The punching feels real nice, the FF helps it feel real.

I get training point by doing the speed bag and using the Move controllers like drum sticks. This training is not 1:1, it is all about timing. I can get 50 points in 3 min and $7 almost every time.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/19739930

I've been playing every night for about a week. Great game, I look forward to it every night, but only can handle about 30 mins before I'm too tired.

I also have been playing it every day and really enjoy coming back to it each day. I almost didn't buy this game until I read the glowing reviews from all the users who had bought the game. The critics should take a second look at this game and admit that they were wrong in their initial reviews.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I did the fisrt "boss" (guy on top) and his stats were alll 50 and 70, WTF? I still beat him, but I thought 50 was the max? Is it set up so you do all of one pyramid and move to the next, or do the lowest tiers on all the pyramids then move up?

When I watch my replays I tend to swing to high, I think my guy is taller than them. I need to work on my technique and timing.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot /forum/post/19740527

I also have been playing it every day and really enjoy coming back to it each day. I almost didn't buy this game until I read the glowing reviews from all the users who had bought the game. The critics should take a second look at this game and admit that they were wrong in their initial reviews.

I've found this with alot of Wii games that require more precise movements or more physical activity and can't be cheated.

I always get this stereotypical picture of the typical uncoordinated, exercise adverse "gamer" pop into my head when I think of these reviewers.

If you're the type of person who does any martial arts or likes to play/shadow box you should definitely check this game out.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
This game looks really fun. We have a wii and play it sometimes but on the fighting game I just dont feel like it is getting the signal right and doesnt respond properly.

Is the MOVE better than the wii on the motion controls?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.