AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this topic has probably been discussed before but I am curious about the status of this movie on DVD. Also, I have checked the archives here and did not see a listing. I have been a fan of "The Final Countdown" since seeing it in the theater back in '80. It would be nice if a professionally transferred DVD were to be released.

As the sad owner of the Pacific Family Ent. release of the R1 DVD, I am hoping that a "real version" will be released on R1 again.

I currently own two versions on LD (even a mint copy on CED): One is apparently a slightly earlier pressing with some weird anomalies such as time-compression, mono sound at the end of the movie and a somewhat washed out and "soft" picture.

Oddly enough, the 'later' pressing (they're both from 1988) had been re-done. The playback speed is corrected (identical in that respect to a VHS taped off the air back in the mid 80's). The sound quality is drastically improved over the other one: The earlier pressing has a very harsh/tinny soundtrack that digresses into mono towards the last 20 minutes... Finally, the PQ is markedly improved in every aspect; although it is still cropped. (Curiously, the end credits are letter-boxed).

Unless they are played, there is absolutely no way (as far as I can tell) to discern the two from the outside jacket or the label on the respective disc.

I would like to know if anyone else has had any experience with this title.

-Sam

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Sam,

Blue Underground will be providing an official release of the film on 5/25/04 and will include both DTS 6.1 and Dolby 5.1 sountracks. It's a ways off, but much better than wasting your money on the current release.

Howie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.