Studio and Year: Warner/New Line - 2009
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 82 minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish
Starring: Bobby Campo, Shantel VanSanten, Mykelti Williamson, Nick Zano, Krista Allen
Directed by: David R. Ellis
Music by: Brian Tyler
Written by: Eric Bress
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 5, 2010

"How will you die?"

Film Synopsis:

The movie series that taps into your deepest fears returns with a new and imaginative chapter that delivers the expected – in so many keep-you-guessing, unexpected ways! A strange premonition causes friends to abandon their day at the speedway, just before a crushing pileup hurtles cars into the bleachers with fiery consequences. They have cheated Death. But Death is only getting started. From the director of Snakes on a Plane comes the eerie, innovative tale of the friends’ fierce fight to keep themselves and others alive.

My Take:

The final destination is the fourth installment in the Final destination film series. All of the films follow a similar premise that revolves around one person who for unknown reasons begins to have premonitions about the deaths of themselves as well as those around them. This leads to them preempting death’s design by interfering in those predetermined deaths and saving those who would otherwise have met with their fate. The consequences usually tend to involve those same people ultimately meeting their demise in some other fashion while futilely trying to escape death. Essentially if you have seen one of these films you get the idea. This film didn’t offer anything new conceptually and I thought that the script didn’t have the depth of the first two films. Regardless I still found it entertaining in the same visceral way that I enjoyed the others. There is plenty of dismembering, blood flying mayhem for those that like that sort of thing and the characters/cast are likeable enough. The Final Destination works because it doesn’t try to be more than what it is and sticks to the formula which made the first three films successful. It isn’t great cinema but it makes for a good popcorn flick that when coupled along with its 3D presentation can make for a solid watch on horror movie night.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violent/gruesome accidents, language and a scene of sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

The Final Destination comes to Blu-ray Disc from New Line featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 16 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 channel Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.5 Mbps.

The Final Destination as presented on Blu-ray includes both 3D and 2D versions. I watched both and as usual preferred the 2D version. This movie was shot on high definition video which may not appeal to film purists but it does not change the fact that it looks really good on Blu-ray Disc. Aside from looking somewhat edgy and, well, digital at times this is pristine quality video. Detail is nearly flawless with first rate visual acuity and fine rendering throughout. The mall, racetrack and suburban locations where the film was shot are superbly rendered. Colors are lavish and eye popping with oversaturated primaries and warm tonality that make them pleasing. Flesh tones are on the warm side with fair delineation and lifelike depiction among the cast. Good contrast and black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is good enough that I could make out the textures in the background during the darkened movie theater sequence. I saw no signs of video noise or artifacts. The 3D version has a less distinctive and involving appearance when compared to the 2D version ( it only comes with two pairs of 3D glasses). This is a result of the 3D process which under the circumstances is tolerable since it would be tough to have your cake (although that would be great) and eat it too. I thought the 3D effects were excellent. Images onscreen had a noticeable sense of scale as their placement within the frame was discernible. Flying objects, things coming toward you or even sticking out here and there had appreciable depth and measurable reach out and touch quality. I thought that unlike other 3D processed home video I have seen overall definition was quite good. This left images looking fairly resolute which helped enhance the visual perspective of people/objects in the foreground and background. There is no question that looking at the film this way has its ups and downs. The anaglyph process does not lend images to appear totally satisfying and the glasses aren’t especially comfortable. Personally I find that watching films this way becomes fatiguing to my eyes after prolonged periods. On the other hand the experience when done well can be lots of fun. In this case I think that the good outweighed the bad which helped to make this film a bit more enjoyable.

The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is impressive. This film has an active sound design that maintains good balance so the multitude of sound effects, music and dialogue can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialogue is clearly articulated with excellent room penetration. Sound effects are accurately placed within the sound field which established a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what was being heard within the room. This applied to the additional rear channels as well. This created an immersive and engaging soundscape that wasn’t overly aggressive but was abundantly rich in detail. Low frequency detail mixed to the subwoofer delivers rich, well extended bass response that provided tactilely dynamic impact that was occasionally room filling. I thought that this was an excellent and involving surround sound mix that enhanced to the three dimensional aspects of this film.

Bonus Features:

• Behind the story: The deaths of The Final Destination - 7 deconstructed segments

• (HD) The Final Destination: Race car crash - storyboards, pre-viz animatics, visual effects

• (HD) The Final Destination: Mall explosion - storyboards, pre-viz animatics, visual effects

• (HD) 9 deleted scenes

• (HD) 2 alternate endings

• (HD) Sneak peek - exclusive first look at the new “ A nightmare on Elm Street“

• WB BD-Live access

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

Final Thoughts:

Like the other films in the Final Destination franchise The Final Destination presents genre fans with enough suspense, thrills, and gore to qualify it as mindless yet entertaining. I consider myself a fan and while I didn’t find this entry to be the best in the series I enjoyed it nonetheless. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner/New Line sporting excellent audio/video quality and includes both the 3D and 2D versions of the film. The bonus supplements don’t offer an in depth look into the production but does examine some of the large scale sequences/special effects and includes a digital copy of the film for those interested in taking it on the go. If you’re a fan this makes for a worthy addition to your Final Destination collection, otherwise give it a rent on movie night.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber /forum/post/17828372

Thanks Ralph! Looks worth checking out.

I didn't really like any of the sequels but enjoyed the original.

However, I want to see this to check out 3D on my big screen for the first time.

Happy New Year!

Greetings,

Sounds like a pan Lee. Happy New Year!

Regards,

·
Registered
16,994 Posts
Thanks for the review Ralph

Sorry if I missed it, but what color lenses (red/blue?) does this one use for the 3d?

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/17828902

Thanks for the review Ralph

Sorry if I missed it, but what color lenses (red/blue?) does this one use for the 3d?

Greetings,

Todd, the lenses are green/red..

Regards,

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I will be picking this blu-ray rental up on Tuesday with my monthly BB movie pass.

I enjoyed the other Final Destination movies, so this should be a welcome addition.

Thanks for all your reviews and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Ralph, thanks for the review. I was wondering compared to "My Bloody Valentine 3D" How does the look of "Final Destination" stack up to that film. I thought the 3D for (MBV) was well done. Is it the same quality or better? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I've been holding off buying any FD movie on Blu-ray in hopes for a quadrilogy pack. Any chance this is coming out?

Also, I kept my 3D glasses from seeing Avatar in theaters. Are 3D glasses universally applicable, or do you need specific ones like that are included with this movie?

Thanks.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard /forum/post/17832823

I think you mean 2010. Nice review but there is way too much I want to see before seeing this, so I will pass.

Chris

Greetings,

Thanks Chris. Sooo many reviews with 2009 as the release date, old habit.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Looking forward to pick this BD.I like 3-D experience in cinema,hopefully it would be the same.Can't hardly wait.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
15,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSSVA /forum/post/17831341

Hi Ralph, thanks for the review. I was wondering compared to "My Bloody Valentine 3D" How does the look of "Final Destination" stack up to that film. I thought the 3D for (MBV) was well done. Is it the same quality or better? Thanks.

Greetings,

I would say that they are on par with one another. Enjoy!

Regards,

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin /forum/post/17832186

Also, I kept my 3D glasses from seeing Avatar in theaters. Are 3D glasses universally applicable, or do you need specific ones like that are included with this movie?

Those glasses are absolutely worthless outside of the theater, I suggest dropping them in the recycling bin at the theater as they are just garbage now. The glasses uses a polarizing filter to them, this movie uses more traditional means of colored lenses, red/green in this case. The glasses used in the theaters are better in that you can see the full spectrum of colors because they are not colored.

Moving forward in home use at CES this year you will probably see most 3D TVs using shutter glasses which are more expensive then the cheap polarized glasses at the theater but the displays are way cheaper to make then the polarizing technology you see in the theater.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick /forum/post/17833573

Those glasses are absolutely worthless outside of the theater, I suggest dropping them in the recycling bin at the theater as they are just garbage now. The glasses uses a polarizing filter to them, this movie uses more traditional means of colored lenses, red/green in this case. The glasses used in the theaters are better in that you can see the full spectrum of colors because they are not colored.

Moving forward in home use at CES this year you will probably see most 3D TVs using shutter glasses which are more expensive then the cheap polarized glasses at the theater but the displays are way cheaper to make then the polarizing technology you see in the theater.

Okay, but could they work for the next 3D movie I see? Like say I went to go see Avatar again but paid for a normal ticket and walked into the 3D theater (and it was at a different place), or say I did it for Toy Story 3 down the road.

Anyway, where else can I get the 3D glasses that will be able to support FD4?

·
Registered
447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick /forum/post/17833573

I kept our glasses from Avatar also. I assume when it comes out on BluRay that the format will not change and I will be able to use them at that time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts