AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been TONS of back and forth over whether this player is the real deal or not - but no one has offered a straight endorsement or discouragement of it - seems like everyone is on the fence about it. It always depends on this or that - not very helpful - just seems to confuse the issue more.

I am considering this player, but it seems like a lot of people on these boards that have bought it, wound up selling theirs after only a few days of use - that is not a good sign.

I have a really nice SONY Progressive Scan now feeding in my 34" Direct View CRT SONY HDTV XBR (no DVI). The picture looks very sharp. 480p is the goods - how much better will a scaled up 720p or 1080i picture look on this unit? How much improvement will I see going to the DVD-HD1000?

Once and for all I would like to get everyone's BOTTOM LINE on this player from first hand users who bought and used this player. I would specifically like to know the opinions of people who have had progressive scan DVD players before and then viewed this player on the same setup. Was the result not that stunning to justify the $1500 price tag? Were the results worse in any case? The same?

Now let the opinions roll . . . . . .

DOC

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
You should ask this in the DVD Hardware forum. The response there have been anything from sitting on the fence. I think the overwhelming opinion on the unit is that it is a very good player.

-phil

·
Registered
831 Posts
First off, wrong forum buddy.

The DVD-HD1000 is hailed by some as a collectors item (no suprise given its capabilities).

You can upconvert ALL DVD movies with a firmware upgrade. However, this unit is in high demand but small supply. Thus, prices will be set accordingly.

If your not willing to spend the big bucks, perhaps you should wait for the DVD-HD931 thats said to come out from Samsung in the future. It's a "scaled down" version of the DVD-HD1000 adhereing to the DVD forum rules. It will be the first DVD player with DVI. Priced around $300-$400.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
[sarcasm]

Or just buy the grail for $200... the Bravo D1.

[/sarcasm]

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dreggman...

Do a search on 'Segaboy' and 'Samsung DVD-HD1000' and ye shall be enlighted.

Bottom line: There has only been 38 of these brought to the United States, and I have one and ordered a second one.

Get while the getting is good...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Why is the Bravo D1 comment sarcastic?

I have been unable to find any place ot order it online, even though press releases say it came out in febuary. Also, the online retailer I frequent and ebay have nothing.

The reason I am concerned is because I am looking for a temporary player until the new sammy comes out. Using my Xbox as a primary is getting rediculous.

Heading over to the DVD forums now...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ninjatech,

Why would you waste your money on the Bravo piece when the Samsung DVD-HD931 will be available in mere weeks. Or you could 'step-up' and get your hands on the Holy-Grail, the DVD-HD1000 which is a phenomenal piece of hardware!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.