AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been TONS of back and forth over whether this player is the real deal or not - but no one has offered a straight endorsement or discouragement of it - seems like everyone is on the fence about it. What I mean - I am yet to hear a defintive YES that is dramtically better than a high end Progressive Scan Player. It always depends on this or that - not very helpful - just seems to confuse the issue more.

I am considering this player, but it seems like a lot of people on these boards that have bought it, wound up selling theirs after only a few days of use - that is not a good sign.

I have a really nice SONY Progressive Scan now feeding in my 34" Direct View CRT SONY HDTV XBR (no DVI). The picture looks very sharp. 480p is the goods - how much better will a scaled up 720p or 1080i picture look on this unit? How much improvement will I see going to the DVD-HD1000?

Once and for all I would like to get everyone's BOTTOM LINE on this player from first hand users who bought and used this player. I would specifically like to know the opinions of people who have had progressive scan DVD players before and then viewed this player on the same setup. Was the result not that stunning to justify the $1500 price tag? Were the results worse in any case? The same?

Now let the opinions roll . . . . . .

DOC

·
Registered
980 Posts
Buy a tv with DVI and get the Bravo. You'll only spend a little more money and you'll get an extra TV in the process. Its a no-brainer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, I am in the same boat. I am looking at this player because I only have component inputs. Getting a new tv with DVI is not an option.

Scott

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am in the same shoes as you are. I have a Toshiba 34HF81 direct view it has no DVI. IMHO this player has the best COMPONENT output picture of any player out there. I've have a sony S7700 nonprogressive player as my main player for over a year and have demo'ed a Yamaha player on my TV with the DCDi chip in it. The Yamaha was noticable better than the Sony and that was the unit I was going to replace the Sony with. Having said that, I was completely sold when I saw the HD1000 hooked up to my TV. The picture it is able to produce is absolutely stunning. Compared to a progressive scan player the picture is noticeably sharper, and more detailed while being somewhat darker (as all HD images tend to be) Compared to a real HD picture, I'd have to say it is consistent with upconverted material you see on HBO, but not quite as good as say a PBS OTA feed. The best part is, with the firmware update (if you buy it from Harvey's you will get the update)you will be able to upconvert ANY dvd movie, copy protected or not. I have verified this while I had this unit at my house, I watched Panic Room (Watch the opening credits), The Matrix, Toy Story I and II, (no chroma bug), Gatteca Superbit, and Gladiator. I switched the picture output from 480p to 1080i(there is a switch in the back that you can chose 480p, 720p or 1080i) on the fly, each time I was stunned by the image and detail I was seeing. Let me put it to you this way, when the D-Theatre decks came out they were $1500 but you had to start a brand new library, the picture this player can output, IMHO is 90% of the D-Theatre deck and it can do it with your existing library.

Aside from the picture quality, the build quality of this player is beyond reproach. The chasis is WAY overbuillt, the entire unit weighs more than my receiver. The mirror finish on the front door that hides the drive (a la Sony S7700) is a nice touch. The menus and remote are also very well designed, although the remote is not backlit. The overall packaging and design of the unit is reminiscent of the late Pioneer Elite LD players.

$1500 bucks is a lot of money to spend on a DVD player, but looking at the current trend of DVD players coming out, if you don't have DVI you're not going to get HD, then $1500 is chump change.

DooDoo,

I don't know about you, but when I do the math, $3000 for a new HDTV with DVI and $199 is about $1700 more than this player will cost me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks vphan13.

That was the most insightful and helpful review I have seen of this player.

I have already pre-ordered a unit from Harvey's with the firmware update and I am salivating over the prospect of it's arrival! I have cleared a space for it on my shelf since this is a big unit.

I can't wait to give a detailed review for everyone. My current DVD player is the Sony DVP-NC655P (5-disc carousel DVD/CD changer with progressive scan) and it outputs an amazing 480p picture to my 34" SONY 34XBR2 HDTV. I am still going to keep it in the setup - since I do like the changer part of it. I have over 600+ DVDs so the Samsung DVD-HD1000 seemed like the ideal choice for me to get more out of my collection. Watch my movies scaled to 1080i via component outputs??? All this without having to buy a D-VHS player and tons of new tapes - It's a no brainer I guess.

I also have the Sony HD-200 hooked into my setup feeding DirecTV's HD broadcasts (HDnet, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, NBA-HD) as well as a few OTA HD channels (WB-HD, Fox-Widescreen). I also have Comcast's HD channels (PBS, ABC. NBC, CBS and Comcast Sportsnet HD) feeding into my TV from the SA-3100HD. I also have a W-VHS HD VCR (JVC’s SR-W5U) hooked up to setup, which records HD signals via Component Inputs. So I will be scrutinizing the DVD-HD1000's picture and have mutliple HD sources for a detailed comparision. I have had to add a Component switcher into the setup since I have more than 2 Component signals feeding into my TV. I am currently using Audio Authority's Component (Y-Pb-Pr) 4x1 Audio/Video Switcher ( http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...Video/1154.asp ) - it works amazingly - the quality is top notch - especially the auto sensing switch!!

Well I will post my review as soon as the unit arrives.

Thanks for your input.

Doc

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
My advice would be to use the $1500 for a front projector and then pick up the bravo for $200. If you want the most dramatic difference possible between a 32" TV.

Believe me having done the upgrade myself from a 32" Wega, you don't really have home theater until you're using a projector IMHO with a 100" or larger screen. If you really want the biggest improvement possible for the buck..

·
Registered
463 Posts
HTCrazy,

What if your room does not support a front-projector. Also, where can you get a front-projector that is true HD for only $1500???

I think you are missing the important point of the DVD-HD1000. This (amazing) piece of hardware offers ANYONE with only component video inputs the ability to get the most out of an existing library.

In addition to having to purchase a front-projector ($$$), you would also need to purchase a screen (expensive), Samsung DVD-HD931 ($300), LONG video cables for composite, S-Video, Component video, and DVI (gobs of cash) and possibly have to rearrange your entire room (priceless with the spouse). Or you can swap out your DVD player for $1680 ($1500 + 150 for 5-year warranty + 50 for shipping) and be done with it.

I do not question your thoughts regarding a larger screen can help to improve the Home Theater experience, but sometimes that is NOT possible due to financial or spousal approval (or both). :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Dreggman can pick up a new 16x9 direct view set for $1500-$2000 and get a Bravo for $200. It makes much more sense to get an extra HD set for an effective cost of less than $500 than it does to pay $1680 for a dvd player that is already outdated (using components). FYI, DVI cables can be had for $20-30 so they are no more expensive than components. Segaboy you should change your name to HD1000 FanBoy.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Segaboy - All PJ's are HD compatible and none do full resolution 1080i. You can get a sanyo Z1 for $1400 with a $200 120" high contrast pull down screen and $80 for 35' high quality component cables.

Buying a $1500 DVD player for a 32" TV is not going to be as dramatic an upgrade. Not that its for every situation, but I thought its something to consider. If I had known how dramatic a difference the FP made I wouldn't have put as much money in the sound system that cost much more but made a smaller overall impact.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have an $8k projector with only component inputs that I just can afford to replace just to get DVI. For me it seems the Samsung will make a great addition.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think you are missing the point of this player. It is designed to accomplish two goals.

1. Allow you to not have to replace your monitor for a DVI connector.

2. Make a statement that Samsung is serious about A/V gear (to a lesser extent).

DooDoo...Even if Dreggman replaces his monitor for 1500 and spends 200 on a Bravo D1, he would be spending the same amount of money as a DVD-HD1000. In addition, he would have a player that is inferior (No DVD-Audio, build quality, etc.) and an extra television.

Also, if you do a search on the AVS Forum, you can find out that Component Video can be just as good a DVI, if not superior.

I may sing the praises of a DVD-HD1000, but that is only because it is a worthy piece of gear. If it was a piece of $hit then I would easily own up to it.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sega,

I'm glad you like to throw money away. If more people were like you our economy would be booming once again. By the way, the improvement on a 34" set will be minimal over that of an xp30/rp82. I'm sure that the HD's power becomes more apparent as you increase screen size but it is still an outdated overpriced machine that cant compete with the Bravo

·
Registered
498 Posts
DooDoo do no no listen very good.

We are all very pleased that you have found DVD nirvana with the Bravo D1. But everybody does not have the same options as you do; i.e. the opportunity to have a DVI input on their display or install a FP. For those of us who don't, the HD1000 provides a very cost effective solution to obtain maximum resolution for watching existing DVD collections hereto for unavailable to us.

Instead of making sarcastic demeaning comments about those that don't make the same decision as you why can't you just try to understand there are many perspectives and ways to accomplish a goal.

Best of luck to you and your D1!

BP

·
Registered
980 Posts
BP,

I respect your point and I'm glad youre not another FanBoy like Sega but please remember that this thread asks for opinions and therefore I am entitled to give mine.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Straight from Alan's post:

"The image looks every bit as good as my HTPC and as good as the Samsung HD1000."

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I tend to agreed that the HD1000 looks like a pretty darn decent option for those of us without DVI inputs on our display devices. I also tend to agree with the notion that there is a point of diminishing returns and perhaps a $1500 DVD player is "overkill" for a 34" display (is the DVD player always going to be married to that 34" set???).

One thing we should all keep in mind is that improvements are best made to the weakest link in our system. If that's the DVD player then so be it. If not then why replace a DVD player if it's playing thru a crappy display (for instance). Certainly not everyone here can use a FP: I can't as much as I wish I could (that will be solved with my next house). We all need to keep an open mind when dissing or recommending components and try not to see things from just one perspective: What works for one may not work for another - that doesn't make anyone wrong. Everyone here would make different choice on at least some of our gear if we could buy it again (or if they were in a different house)........

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
I tend to agreed that the HD1000 looks like a pretty darn decent option for those of us without DVI inputs on our display devices. I also tend to agree with the notion that there is a point of diminishing returns and perhaps a $1500 DVD player is "overkill" for a 34" display (is the DVD player always going to be married to that 34" set???).
Geof,

I hope you didn't buy the HD1000! Save the money, It's not going to be a huge improvement over whatever you have. And in some ways may even be worse (No DVD-A).

Wait until you get a PJ or when HD-DVD comes out (I bet that is before whe get OTA HD in Denver!)

Once you see DVI, you'll say component is dead.

I know, I just went DVI. It's so much better that it's like my old DVD player (RP-91) was broken.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision

Geof,

I hope you didn't buy the HD1000! Save the money, It's not going to be a huge improvement over whatever you have. And in some ways may even be worse (No DVD-A).
I'm quite sure the HD1000 has DVD-A capability...are we thinking about the same player???

·
Registered
463 Posts
santellavision,

1. The Samsung DVD-HD1000 does indeed play DVD-Audio.

2. I would not compare your 'broken' RP-91 to the 720p or 1080i output of a DVD-HD1000. You are not comparing apples to apples. There is a difference, because there should be a difference.

3. Wideband Component video can be just as good as DVI, if not better. Rogo has made that issue quite clear. Do a search on the posts that Rogo has made.

4. What if you do not have a DVI with HDCP connection on a monitor/projector that you spent thousands of dollars on many moons ago? People like Sacarmic, that own a 8-thousand dollar projector...Are you telling him to 'save the money'? Okay.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.