AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparantely T2: The Ultimate Edition, which releases on June 3, will have a Windows Media Player 9 file of the movie. It is said to be 1080p. If so with the right htpc, this could be awesome.

Keith

·
Registered
440 Posts
This has been mentioned before, but it's never confirmed. Do you have a source for your info? If so it would be good to move this out of "rumour" status.

If it turns out to be true, btw, I'm going to build an HTPC.

-Mani

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Mani Mon Ami - better make it at least 3.0 GHZ, because that will basically be the minimum for a 1080i WM9 movie.

There is info on this flick in the DVD and HTPC forums. Speculation is that it will be 720p to enable it to run on more computers.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was under the impression that they simply remastered in 1080p, which is nothing new. Many current DVD releases were mastered that way and then the DVD was mastered from that. The new Platinum "Se7en" was done that way from the original negative, etc... This is just more marketing hype. Good news is that they're ready to make many DVDs into HD DVDs due to the increasing use of this practice, Widescreen Review's interview with a WB exec says they've been mastering in 1080p for a long time.

I had not heard about the WM9 file. I have a post somewhere in here where I cut and pasted an email from a high-level MS employee on the WindowsMedia team who has been in Sound and Vision Mag who talks about the computational horsepower necessary for just 1080i, let alone 1080p. You'd need at least top of the line P4 just to get something other than a slideshow. I'd be willing to bet this is just rumor, but it would be nice if true.

Ron

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
This is the thread where I posted the email from Amir from Microsoft. Read what he has to say. Artisan Entertainment is recommending a 1.8Ghz P4 for DVD playback which makes me wonder how good this WM9 file is going to be. Microsoft wrote the codecs, they know how much horsepower it will take.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=UUronl

This quote is attributed to Amir Majidimehr of Microsoft:

"Note that even at 24fps, 2.53 Ghz CPU will struggle to play 1080p. The

only success we have had has been with 2.8 Ghz. Otherwise, you lose a

frame here and there on the peaks."

Thanks,

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.