AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after lurking for a few months and spending waaay too much time reading other's theater build threads... It's time to officially announce the "Fly By Night" Theater. As this is my first foray into a custom build, I welcome criticism, comments, and opinions from those that have been there before.

Specs...

15' x 26' dedicated space (basement)

Seating for 8

130" wide 2.4:1 CIH acoustically transparent screen, SMX Proline

PJ - JVC RS25

Lens - Prismasonic HD-5000R

Speakers - Klipsch THX Ultra 2 (7.1)

Fiber optic star ceiling

Coming Soon...

Receiver - Denon 5308CI

Seating - Palliser Brentwood's (x8)

Cheers!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Floorplan v2.0... False screenwall is about 24" off the front wall. Ignore the seating placement, it needs to be pushed back a few feet or we'll all have serious eyestrain.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Looks like it's going to be a very nice build.

I have essentially the same screen you are considering (SMX Proline 129" wide 2.37:1). It's a fantastic screen.

If you want to save a few bucks, take a look at SeymourAV's new fixed frame screens. Their new AT material is supposed to be very good and their prices are less than SMX for a similar screen. Their previous material (Sheerweave 4500) was very similar to the SMX Cineweave. I'd probably give the nod to SMX's frame overall, but SeymourAV's is enough of a savings that I would have considered it if it had been available when I purchased my screen. They are both aluminum frames.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I am going to try to pull permits next week, and am looking forward to pounding a few nails soon... I'm subbing out just about everything but the finish work, so hope to be done in a few months (famous last words).

I'll keep SeymourAV in mind. What is the distance in your build from the front of the screen to the first row of seating? I have about 10 1/2 feet, I'm worried that it might be a little too close for a screen that size...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesnik /forum/post/17044927

Thanks! I am going to try to pull permits next week, and am looking forward to pounding a few nails soon... I'm subbing out just about everything but the finish work, so hope to be done in a few months (famous last words).

I'll keep SeymourAV in mind. What is the distance in your build from the front of the screen to the first row of seating? I have about 10 1/2 feet, I'm worried that it might be a little too close for a screen that size...

Our front row is ~11 feet (maybe slightly less).

For HDTV and bluray, it's great. We usually sit in the second row for regular DVDs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, so much for pulling permits next week. The plans didn't look quite right to me, so I decided to spot check the architect's drawings against reality this afternoon - and his locations for the beam support poles are way off... by several feet. So the whole thing won't work as it's currently drawn.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,119 Posts
Welcome,

Looks like a great project. What are your requirements/plan for soundproofing or sound containment of the theater? The reason I ask there are some things to think about before framing even starts if it is important to keep the sound in the theater not upstairs. Good reading is the library of articles at soundproofingcompany.com

On your plan, a 36 inch walkway is much more than what is needed unless you need to provide for wheel chair access, so you can center up your seating a bit more.

Looking at the Pictures I don't see any reason why you couldn't flip the orientation of the theater if that helps with integrating the support pole or clean-out access into architectural elements like columns, closets etc. or door placement because of your designers mistakes.

Also looking at the pictures, design of the ceiling is going to be important to build a soffit hiding pipes and you may want to put a decorative soffit on the other side or all around the room for symmetry , didn't see any plans for the ceiling design.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Floorplan v3.0 - Support poles are in the right position now. Unfortunately, the bar area got very long - don't like it as much, but don't know what else to do with the space...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/17045595

Welcome,

Looks like a great project. What are your requirements/plan for soundproofing or sound containment of the theater? The reason I ask there are some things to think about before framing even starts if it is important to keep the sound in the theater not upstairs. Good reading is the library of articles at soundproofingcompany.com

On your plan, a 36 inch walkway is much more than what is needed unless you need to provide for wheel chair access, so you can center up your seating a bit more.

Looking at the Pictures I don't see any reason why you couldn't flip the orientation of the theater if that helps with integrating the support pole or clean-out access into architectural elements like columns, closets etc. or door placement because of your designers mistakes.

Also looking at the pictures, design of the ceiling is going to be important to build a soffit hiding pipes and you may want to put a decorative soffit on the other side or all around the room for symmetry , didn't see any plans for the ceiling design.

As far as soundproofing, I was planning for staggered stud construction all the way around with a false ceiling and 2 layers of drywall, green glue, etc. I do need to do a bit more research as I am not 100% decided yet on overall soundproofing strategy.

The seating location is not final, it's only there for scale. Most likely the seating will be pushed back at least 2 feet and centered a bit more.

I could flip the layout to get around the support pole issues, but I have 2 windows to deal with on the back wall (which in the current layout will wind up being in the equipment closets) and also the 2nd row riser (6-7.5"). If I relocated the entrance, it would be right across from a sliding glass door that's in the game room, which I don't like. I think it's better to leave it as is right now, and try to find a way to make the bar area a bit more intimate. I'll leave that up to the architect.

I have room for 9' ceilings throughout, except for the theater - the soffits will have to be 8' and 4' wide to acomodate the hvac, leaving a 7' wide tray ceiling extending almost to 9'. I will probably look into what it would take to relocate the HVAC trunks running through there, but I'm sure I'm not going to like what its going to cost. Once the floorplan is final (almost there), we will add the ceiling details...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A quick progress update...

The plans are finalized, the building permit has been secured, and construction begins next Monday!

The HVAC guy was over here last weekend, and recommended a mini-split system for the basement - will probably go with LG "ceiling concealed duct" heads in a 2-zone configuration (.5 ton head for the theater, 2 ton head for the rest). He is also going to relocate the existing furnace intake/exhaust concentric to make my soffits as small as possible.

Theater wall construction will in fact be staggered stud with 2 layers of 5/8 drywall, green glue in the middle (although my builder argued against it saying it was no better than a regular wall for soundproofing. I told him I read it on the Internet, so it must be true).

Questions for those that are much wiser than I...

Would it do any good to seal the bottom of the walls against the concrete slab with the pink sill foam stuff, or is it a waste of time?

Should the 2nd row riser be built after the drywall goes up in order to have a tighter sealed room? I'm guessing that it should be isolated from the walls also...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Depending on your location code may require a pressure treated bottom plate, anywhere wood comes into contact with concrete you either need to use pressure treated wood or a sill gasket. From a sound isolation standpoint, I don't know that it makes much difference.

The riser should be built after drywall and not be in contact with any of the walls (leave a small gap, say 1/4 to 1/2", to help with sound isolation).

A two zone mini-split system should let you be very comfortable in the theater and throughout the rest of the basement. Nice choice!

Keep us posted (with lots of pictures)

(edit) If your builder is already balking a bit at the sound isolation techniques you want to use, you need to watch like a hawk that he does things the way you want them done. He, or his trades may revert back to their standard building practices, especially when they are unsure what you like, or why you want something done a certain way. Remember on the HVAC to make sure steps are taken to keep it quiet in the theater and prevent sound from spreading (flanking) to the rest of the basement. If you haven't already checked out Ted White's site, be sure to.

Good Luck!

Greg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The framing started today, so far so good.

I spoke with John Hale today over at The Soundproofing Company, he was very helpful and really went out of his way to come up with a solution for me. So, I ordered 20 gallons of green glue, a case of acoustic caulk, some pipe wrap, and 56 DC-04 isolation clips to hang the walls with. The plan right now is to float all four walls and the soffits from the ceiling joists with the DC-04's. The ceiling will be blocked down a few inches to clear the HVAC line set and some electrical that can't be moved. Will probably use whisper clips and hat track to isolate the ceiling. I am planning for 2 layers of 5/8 drywall on all interior surfaces.

Now it's back to the forums to see how others did it...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, I talked to the wonderful people at AVS today and bought a JVC RS25 and a HD-5000R lens to go with it. I can't wait for them to show up! I want to set them up temporarily to test screen size, height, and seating distance before we figure out the rise and projector mount blocking goes in.

20 gallons of green glue and 56 DC-04 isolation clips showed up today along with a case of acoustic caulk. Most of the basement is framed out now, except the theater - and the builder is framing the interior staggered stud walls starting next week.

I've got some tough decisions to make before Monday - should I make the front wall of the theater straight across, or should I "zig-zag" it to match the adjoining bathroom wall? Hard to explain, but the floorplan above should shed some light. It will be behind the false screenwall anyway, but I don't know what that would do to the acoustics if I followed the contour of the adjoining bathroom wall (probably nothing good). I hate giving up a few square feet on the right to dead space - I was thinking about putting the sub(s) there. Hopefully someone more enlightened than me will provide some insight.

I will take some pictures tomorrow...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.