AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is your average vampire "B" movie, and if you like such, you'll probably like this one. There is a new story about the historical origin of vampirism - and a fairly unique theory about it being a communicable viral disease, which can be suppressed but not cured by a drug cocktail, similar to HIV.

Every single major character in this movie, excepting the 600-year-old master vampire, is an actor in their 20's (he's 30-something which they must have thought necessary to pass for 600). I suppose this was done to appeal to a young audience but it lent an intrusive air of unreality to the film, as the real world has children and older people in it. Two minor actors are middle aged, one is killed and the other spends most on-screen time having hysterics.

In all fairness the two male leads (Kerr Smith from Dawson's Creek and Brenden Fehr from Roswell) do a good job, convincingly portraying reluctant random companions who become buddies while vampire hunting. The female lead is Izabella Miko, she is quite attractive but has few lines and cannot deliver those without mangling her American accent.

There is violence here, of the kind expected in a vampire movie. It's not as violent as Carpenter's Vampires or Blade, but this is fundamentally a low budget effort aiming somewhat below those two films. Splatter fans will be disappointed, it's not that kind of movie. There is also female partial nudity but not without an excuse - you can't really call it gratuitous. There are no glaring plot holes and the (mostly at night) photography is up to professional standards. The DVD itself delivers good audio and video but without much in the way of special features.

Overall, a B- and a reccomended rental for vampire afficianados.

Gary

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Thanks Gary! Great no-nonsense review. I've seen this on the rental shelves and passed it by since I didn't have a clue about it. I'll check it out.

Cary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.