AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been waiting to see this movie since a co-worker raved about it. It's not bad but its not a easy one to follow either.

I remember reading a review a bit back that stuck with me. Fountain

from Eweiss

"This will make a horrible DVD, though, for those who have LCD RPTVs like we do. The movie is all dark scenes except for a very few daylight or light scenes. Nights, indoors, dim light most of the time. Very little detail in the blacks in the theater presentation. "

Man was he correct. Dvd is dark. Luckly for me I have a RP-CRT and I thought it looked amazing. Movie held my intrested from start to finish. It did have me scraching my head but in the end I think I figured it out

I loved the space scenes the most but the entire movie was a joy to watch.

Sound on this DVD could have been much much better. Honestly at some parts I had to turn on the subtitles to find out what was being said. No matter how loud I turned up the sound I just could not hear what he was whispering. Never ran into that issue before.

Hugh Jackman did a bang up job on this. Not your standard hollywood Sci-fi fare, in fact my wife would say more Fantasy.

Good acting, decent score, worth a rental..just be ready to turn on subtitles in some areas.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Intrigueing film that can be interpreted several ways depending on which storyline you give weight to, past, present or future. When I watched...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) I felt rooted in the present storyline, with the other two, being played out in HJ's head, since. I've come to realize that the possibility of immortality door was left open and the future story could have been reality as well. However, the Conquistador piece, I intrepret as finishing his dead wife's story, but with murky undertones of touching some form of meta-reality in his future existence.

Confusing huh...
) I enjoyed it...though I agree, there's not enough contrast in the dark scenes.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/0

Intrigueing film that can be interpreted several ways depending on which storyline you give weight to, past, present or future. When I watched...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) I felt rooted in the present storyline, with the other two, being played out in HJ's head, since. I've come to realize that the possibility of immortality door was left open and the future story could have been reality as well. However, the Conquistador piece, I intrepret as finishing his dead wife's story, but with murky undertones of touching some form of meta-reality in his future existence.

Confusing huh...
) I enjoyed it...though I agree, there's not enough contrast in the dark scenes.

The Blu-Ray release looks stunning! Too bad the story doesn't live up to the visuals.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar /forum/post/0

The Blu-Ray release looks stunning! Too bad the story doesn't live up to the visuals.

The sound was also nice (this movie has a great score IMO).

Although neither the AQ or PQ is the best BD can do.

BTW, I liked the story and it is a movie I will watch again.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I wonder if the BD release was better then the SD dvd release in sound aspect? It was the wispering I have problems with, it was so low.

I will wait a few months and watch it again. Just to see if it provokes the same reaction it did when I saw it for the first time.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone /forum/post/0

Hmm I wonder if the BD release was better then the SD dvd release in sound aspect? It was the wispering I have problems with, it was so low.

The BD is DD 5.1 at 640kps.

Whispering is "low" but clear.

A lossless track would have been appreciated.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesitant /forum/post/0

Not lossless?

That is sad.

WB is notorious for short-changing BD releases here in the states (usually just the bare minimum in quality).

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Just watched this on HD-DVD. It was very dark, and the audio levels for the whispering were such that I had to crank it to near-reference to hear what they were saying. The image quality was good, with some detail in the dark scenes, but I am sure it would be tough on 480i SD DVD viewed via LCD.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it, but felt like Aronofsky was over-indulging his directorial fancies. Some of the shots were the kind that had no storytelling purpose, but made me say to myself: "That guy can sure work that camera!" It's the sort of thing for which the Coen brothers used to be criticized.

The plot is solid enough that it can hold your interest, and convince you this is not merely an exercise in artful photography, but is also vague enough that you may interpret it as you choose, and probably not be "wrong" about it. It is interesting.

Hope you're not put off by scriptural references, because the opening verse from Genesis is not merely window-dressing; rather, it is integral to the story.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK /forum/post/0

"That guy can sure work that camera!" It's the sort of thing for which the Coen brothers used to be criticized.

The plot is solid enough that it can hold your interest, and convince you this is not merely an exercise in artful photography, but is also vague enough that you may interpret it as you choose, and probably not be "wrong" about it. It is interesting.

I agree...have to admire DA's daring and very striking visuals with this movie.

BTW, the CBs have been criticized for their camera work?

For me, at least, their imagery has always stood out in my mind many years after my last viewing.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Yes, oink, the criticism of the Coens was that they were "showing off." Some found the fancy camera tricks distracting, such that they took the viewer out of the story. I personally admire the Coen's movies.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 /forum/post/0

This movie was everything I thought Pan's Labyrinth could have been.

While we disagree on Pan's Labyrinth, I'm surprised at your positive comments on The Fountain . . . only because of your stated aversion to most anything with Hugh Jackman in it

I loved 'em both.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.