AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
So, I have the 2019 - installed it a few months ago, and have had nothing by problems with art mode. Sometimes it will look paisley, sometimes it is all green. And, yes, sometimes it is actually displaying art - but not working correctly often enough for me.

Have you guys seen this before?

I am going to exchange it for a 2020 model (and pay the price difference) and hope this issue doesn't reoccur.... anyone else have this issue, with either a 2019 OR a 2020 model?
That's the first time I've seen a post referencing this issue and I don't have the problem on my 2020 65" unit. If you've called Samsung, I'm sure they've put you through the basic steps of Resetting the Smart Hub and Resetting the TV. Even if you haven't, your best bet is to exchange it at the store rather than deal with Samsung for repair. If you plan on keeping this TV for 10 years, I think that having the upgraded, brighter panel of the 2020 model is well worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's the first time I've seen a post referencing this issue and I don't have the problem on my 2020 65" unit. If you've called Samsung, I'm sure they've put you through the basic steps of Resetting the Smart Hub and Resetting the TV. Even if you haven't, your best bet is to exchange it at the store rather than deal with Samsung for repair. If you plan on keeping this TV for 10 years, I think that having the upgraded, brighter panel of the 2020 model is well worth the extra cost.
Thanks for the feedback. I would rather have the 2020 - but now running into an issue: The one connect box is a long way from the TV - I purchased (for $300) the 15m one connect cable directly from Samsung.. they are now telling me that the '19 cable and '20 cable are different - BUT the 2020 cable isn't available.....

No matter which direction I go in, it appears to be the wrong one!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I would rather have the 2020 - but now running into an issue: The one connect box is a long way from the TV - I purchased (for $300) the 15m one connect cable directly from Samsung.. they are now telling me that the '19 cable and '20 cable are different - BUT the 2020 cable isn't available.....

No matter which direction I go in, it appears to be the wrong one!
Nice setup. Seems like art mode would be perfect for where you have it mounted. Looks like you're experiencing the annoyances of buying the newest model where not all the accessories are available yet. Here are a couple of thoughts:

If you could live without Art Mode, a 2019 Q90R comes with the OneConnect box (the 2020 models don't), has a significantly better picture and viewing angle than The Frame, and would allow you to use the longer cable you already have.

If Art Mode is a must-have, is there a location where you can temporarily place the OneConnect Box that uses the shorter included cable until the longer one for the 2020 model is available?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nice setup. Seems like art mode would be perfect for where you have it mounted. Looks like you're experiencing the annoyances of buying the newest model where not all the accessories are available yet. Here are a couple of thoughts:

If you could live without Art Mode, a 2019 Q90R comes with the OneConnect box (the 2020 models don't), has a significantly better picture and viewing angle than The Frame, and would allow you to use the longer cable you already have.

If Art Mode is a must-have, is there a location where you can temporarily place the OneConnect Box that uses the shorter included cable until the longer one for the 2020 model is available?
Well, I went to BB with the original 2019 one-connect cable that was in my box (since I used the 15m one I purchased separately). I asked if they could use my '19 cable with the 2020 TV they had on display - which they tried and it worked with no issue.

My hunch is, the Samsung person I talked to had no idea. So I ordered the 2020 and I should be good!

·
Registered
3 Posts
50" vs 55"

I'm planing to buy a frame this autumn. I want to have a 50" but the specs says that only 55" and larger has "Wide Viewing Angle". Is there anybody here that has compared one with and one without Wide Viewing Angle (2020 model)?

How are the viewing angles compared to my present TV, a Sony KDL-40w4500? If the viewing angles are at par with my present tv then I think i can live with the poor viewing angles.

I have no problems with the non high-end specs on the Frame except for the viewing angles. And it is hard to find out how poor a poor viewing angle really is...

I also have the option to wait until next year and hope that the 2021 versions have better viewing angles. They have to upgrade something every year. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Where are you seeing the “wide viewing angle” indicated? The Rtings.com review of the 2020 Frame (the link is a couple of posts back) contains objective measurements that indicate that the 2020 Frame has a very poor viewing angle. You need to jump to the Q80T or Q90T to get the “Ultra Wide Viewing Angle” technology. If viewing angle is important, consider either of those units, or better yet, an OLED.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the 2019 55 Frame. Some tips on art work for it. Most probably know but you can upload your own photos through the ST app easily. If the photos are 3840x 2160 res they fit perfectly.

You can search for wall paper with that resolution, save on your phone then upload through ST.

You can also purchase perfectly sized photos through Etsy for around $2-$3 each. Jut search frame tv.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where are you seeing the “wide viewing angle” indicated? The Rtings.com review of the 2020 Frame (the link is a couple of posts back) contains objective measurements that indicate that the 2020 Frame has a very poor viewing angle. You need to jump to the Q80T or Q90T to get the “Ultra Wide Viewing Angle” technology. If viewing angle is important, consider either of those units, or better yet, an OLED.
You can find it here

image-us.samsung[DOT]com/SamsungUS/samsung/us/tvs/spec/The_Frame_Spec_Sheet_03042020.pdf

and on the product pages on Samsungs web-page

(I'm not allowed to post links as I am a new member :frown:)

Viewing angles are important but they only has to be good enough. The problem is how to find out if they are going to be a problem or not.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Viewing angles are important but they only has to be good enough. The problem is how to find out if they are going to be a problem or not.
This TV is advertised for displaying artwork on the wall when not in use as a TV. Viewing angles are critical for artwork since it must look correct from any angle in the room as wall art. What's the point of having art that appears with washed out colors and raised blacks from all areas except directly in front of the screen? Standard VA panel viewing angles are terrible and Samsung should have used one of their ultra wide angle "QLEDs" for this model.

·
Registered
794 Posts
This TV is advertised for displaying artwork on the wall when not in use as a TV. Viewing angles are critical for artwork since it must look correct from any angle in the room as wall art. What's the point of having art that appears with washed out colors and raised blacks from all areas except directly in front of the screen? Standard VA panel viewing angles are terrible and Samsung should have used one of their ultra wide angle "QLEDs" for this model.
Couldn't agree more. I think (hope) this TV will eventually (2021, 2022?) have an Ultra-Wide QLED coating with FALD (closer to a flagship set). I do love these TV's though, they can really elevate a space compared to your standard black plastic box. When I'm finished updating my desktop system in a week or two, I'll post pictures of my new 2020 The Frame 43".

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can find it here

image-us.samsung[DOT]com/SamsungUS/samsung/us/tvs/spec/The_Frame_Spec_Sheet_03042020.pdf

and on the product pages on Samsungs web-page

(I'm not allowed to post links as I am a new member :frown:)

The viewing angle works well for me since my room is 14' wide and 18' long and extends further though the kitchen. Conversely, if you have a wide room and have seating close to the TV off to the side, then this isn't the TV for you.

The Frame carries a premium price due to the specialized bezel, no-gap wall mount, One Connect Box with cable, and the Art Mode capabilities, so I would guess that upgrading to a Q80T panel would increase the price by $350-$500 for a 65" over the current 2020 Frame models. Not sure if that would have priced me out of a Frame originally, but in retrospect, I would pay the extra now for an upgraded panel with better viewing angles.

That being said, the illusion of Art Mode is excellent during daytime and in a more brightly lit room, and despite the fading at angles, it still looks way better than a black rectangle or Ambient Mode, which is better suited to a hotel lobby rather than blending into home décor, which is what you'd get with a current Q80T/Q90T. If you're expecting to be fooled into believing you're looking at a painting from any angle, distance, or lighting, you will be disappointed, but I am impressed every day with how much it looks like art vs. a backlit TV picture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the replys.

Just to be clear, I would love to have a frame TV with really good viewing angles. The problem is that they aren't there yet. :( I need to buy a new TV this autumn / winter and i will buy the Frame as long as it is good enough for now. I will probably change to a newer model in the fututre when they have adressed the problem with the poor viewing angles.

Has anybody done a comparison of the 2020-models with / without "wide viewing angles"? (50" or below vs 55" or higher). The stores in my town only has 55" for display. ...probably for a reason?

·
Registered
794 Posts
As promised:

This is a 43" The Frame 2020 with a FrameMyTV Deco TV Frame in Contemporary Bronze. I'm pretty happy with how the system refresh turned out.

Reactions: frisbfreek

·
Registered
703 Posts
2020 QLED Firmware 1301.5 - FILMMAKER Mode

I downloaded and installed the new firmware at lunch and the only new function I've seen with a quick review on my 65" Frame is the addition of Filmmaker Mode.

According to the online user guide, Filmmaker Mode will turn on automatically for content flagged as such, but it appears to have an overall positive effect for general SDR and HDR when manually switching to it. If anyone knows of any content that has the trigger (or of any other significant improvements/updates) please post it here.

As for the rest of the update, only the same, generic release notes were provided:

- Model : Q950T, Q900T, Q850T, Q800T, Q90T, Q80T, Q8DT, Q70T, Q7DT, LS03T, LS01T
- Version : 1301.5
- Improved usability 1. Improved picture quality 2. Improved browser performance 3. Improved app performance 4. Improved stability 5. Improved usability of input devices

·
Registered
987 Posts
How do you set Ambient mode to come on when you power off ? TV insists on going into Art mode. Can’t find a setting to change this to Ambient

·
Registered
703 Posts
How do you set Ambient mode to come on when you power off ? TV insists on going into Art mode. Can’t find a setting to change this to Ambient
As far as I know, the remote buttons can't be configured. If you want the TV to go into Ambient Mode, then you need to use the menu on the TV or the SmartThings app. As an alternative, maybe you can buy a remote with an Ambient Mode button that was designed for a Q70/80/90.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm confused about the use of the OneConnect box. Isn't the whole point of the frame to have this flush to the wall looking like a piece of art? I'm going to have my recessed cable mount installed right behind the TV and now I have to figure out where to stick this "one connect" box? Please help.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm confused about the use of the OneConnect box. Isn't the whole point of the frame to have this flush to the wall looking like a piece of art? I'm going to have my recessed cable mount installed right behind the TV and now I have to figure out where to stick this "one connect" box? Please help.
The objective of the OneConnect Box is to eliminate the need to run power and a whole bunch of cables to the back of the TV. Everything plugs into the OneConnect Box, which you can hide away next to your Blu-ray player, cable/satellite box, game system, streaming device, etc. There's no need for a recessed cable mount behind the TV as there is only a single thin, long cable that runs to the TV with all of the video signals and power.

Here's a video showing installation.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The objective of the OneConnect Box is to eliminate the need to run power and a whole bunch of cables to the back of the TV. Everything plugs into the OneConnect Box, which you can hide away next to your Blu-ray player, cable/satellite box, game system, streaming device, etc. There's no need for a recessed cable mount behind the TV as there is only a single thin, long cable that runs to the TV with all of the video signals and power.

Here's a video showing installation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxgMN0IRYn8
Yes, but then you have a box on the floor or on the shelf. I want a 100% clean install, which I can do with a regular TV because my cables all come out of a recessed box at the height of the TV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shut down in TV Mode and restart in Art Mode.

Can anyone that owns this TV tell me if the following is possible?

Have the TV shut down from TV Mode and then turn on the following day into Art Mode via motion detection or light?

I am considering this TV for a bedroom and will often go to sleep with the TV shutting down via a sleep timer. I am hoping that the Frame would then automatically start again the next morning in Art Mode.

I appreciate any insight.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts