AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm confused about the use of the OneConnect box. Isn't the whole point of the frame to have this flush to the wall looking like a piece of art? I'm going to have my recessed cable mount installed right behind the TV and now I have to figure out where to stick this "one connect" box? Please help.
Yes, but then you have a box on the floor or on the shelf. I want a 100% clean install, which I can do with a regular TV because my cables all come out of a recessed box at the height of the TV.
The Frame wasn't designed for your situation. It works perfectly for my situation exactly as you described it, being "flush to the wall looking like a piece of art", with the benefit of not needing to install a cable mount in the wall to hide power or other connections.

Maybe LG's Gallery would work better for you. The power and connections plug directly into the back of the TV:
https://youtu.be/LJ0rVkn0Jmc?t=83

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, but then you have a box on the floor or on the shelf. I want a 100% clean install, which I can do with a regular TV because my cables all come out of a recessed box at the height of the TV.
It strikes me as unusual that a TV that is premised on looking like a clean piece of art includes a separate box that has to be placed somewhere near the TV. In my case, the TV is going to be the only thing on a huge wall that is not near any furniture at all and that seems to be an impossible setup for "The Frame". It should be called "The Frame with the Little Box"

·
Registered
37 Posts
It strikes me as unusual that a TV that is premised on looking like a clean piece of art includes a separate box that has to be placed somewhere near the TV. In my case, the TV is going to be the only thing on a huge wall that is not near any furniture at all and that seems to be an impossible setup for "The Frame". It should be called "The Frame with the Little Box"
I think you are witnessing the limits of LED tech that requires a backlight and the desire to get as thin as possible. Unfortunately, there are no OLED TVs on the market that allow the same functionality as the Frame. LGs “Gallery” OLED TV is a misnomer at best. 10 second interval slide show like every other TV on the market.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm confused about the use of the OneConnect box. Isn't the whole point of the frame to have this flush to the wall looking like a piece of art? I'm going to have my recessed cable mount installed right behind the TV and now I have to figure out where to stick this "one connect" box? Please help.
This was my solution for the 65" 2019 The Frame in my living room:

Finished product:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I think you are witnessing the limits of LED tech that requires a backlight and the desire to get as thin as possible. Unfortunately, there are no OLED TVs on the market that allow the same functionality as the Frame. LGs “Gallery” OLED TV is a misnomer at best. 10 second interval slide show like every other TV on the market.
It's an incredible TV (the LG GX). I'm planning on installing one in my bedroom system. The only reason for the slide show is OLED burn-in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's an incredible TV (the LG GX). I'm planning on installing one in my bedroom system. The only reason for the slide show is OLED burn-in.
I definitely agree that it is a wonderful TV. It just doesn’t do what the Frame can do unfortunately.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great install. Exactly what I have planned for the bedroom.

Can you possibly answer my question above? All of the Samsung literature doesn’t seem to address. I understand the Frame can shut down and restart in Art Mode via motion detection and light. I am wondering if it can shut down via sleep timer in TV Mode and then wake up in Art Mode with light detection or motion.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I definitely agree that it is a wonderful TV. It just doesn’t do what the Frame can do unfortunately.
Agreed. I have 2 Samsung "The Frame" TV's and I love them for what they are. I do wish they used Samsung's higher-end QLED panels though (FALD, better viewing angles and anti-glare coating)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Great install. Exactly what I have planned for the bedroom.

Can you possibly answer my question above? All of the Samsung literature doesn’t seem to address. I understand the Frame can shut down and restart in Art Mode via motion detection and light. I am wondering if it can shut down via sleep timer in TV Mode and then wake up in Art Mode with light detection or motion.
I use Control4 programming to do something similar, but I can't speak much to the built-in software.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Finished product:
So you basically had your installer build a little dry-wall shelf behind the TV to store everything? I can see that (I have a Tivo mini I would like to hide away, but was willing to forego and just do all streaming is The Frame is just my bedroom TV).

·
Registered
794 Posts
So you basically had your installer build a little dry-wall shelf behind the TV to store everything? I can see that (I have a Tivo mini I would like to hide away, but was willing to forego and just do all streaming is The Frame is just my bedroom TV).
Not really. I did all the work myself. There was originally just a standard single gang power outlet for the TV flush on the tile wall. I removed that and the metal electrical box behind it.

Then I took some pictures inside the wall and then planned out where the Middle Atlantic Proximity Series 22" x 14" In-Wall Box would be installed. It fits between the studs and is screwed into the studs from the sides of the box. I had to cut the tiles with a diamond tile saw, it wasn't a simple job. It paid off though.

I also fished a Cat6a cable and an active fiber optic HDMI 2.1 cable from the unfinished basement into the box to be as future-ready as possible (the rack with all the gear for this system is in the basement). I'll probably also fish in a multi-mode fiber optic cable as well before the basement gets finished.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Do you use IR repeater or IP control of the Frame in your control4 system
I use IP control on "The Frame". The only place I use IR control is for devices that don't support IP control (Telus 4K boxes, Xbox One, Vizio P70 TV)

·
Registered
987 Posts
I use IP control on "The Frame". The only place I use IR control is for devices that don't support IP control (Telus 4K boxes, Xbox One, Vizio P70 TV)

What driver do you use for Telus 4K set top box ? I have the Arris VIP5602 version of this box, and my control system (Crestron Home) surprisingly doesn’t have an IR driver. My integrator had to build his own by reading the Telus remote, but it doesn’t work perfectly.

Is there a USA equivalent branded box that you use or does control4 actually have Telus 4K box in their database ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
794 Posts
What driver do you use for Telus 4K set top box ? I have the Arris VIP5602 version of this box, and my control system (Crestron Home) surprisingly doesn’t have an IR driver. My integrator had to build his own by reading the Telus remote, but it doesn’t work perfectly.

Is there a USA equivalent branded box that you use or does control4 actually have Telus 4K box in their database ?
There's a generic IR driver for the Telus boxes in the Conrol4 driver search. That's the one I'm using. It's not perfect, but I'll tweak it with some additional programming through the remote learning to tighten it up a bit.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
With The Frame, you’re paying a premium for the overall form factor, Art Mode, and the included No-gap wall mount and One Connect box. All four of those features made it the choice for my main living area. Depending upon your priorities, you could get a similar spec TV for a lower price or higher spec TV for a similar price in the Q60/70/80 range.
THESE are exactly the reasons I'm looking at this unit. In my mind, there's only a few features that differentiate this from a Q70 or 80. I'm not sure it's worth the premium, and it's got some problems, but I'm quite interested. Have you had any issues?

CJ

·
Registered
703 Posts
THESE are exactly the reasons I'm looking at this unit. In my mind, there's only a few features that differentiate this from a Q70 or 80. I'm not sure it's worht the premium, and it's got some problems, but I'm quite interested. Have you had any issues?

CJ
The only meaningful issues I’ve consistently had are with Art Mode. The iOS SmartThings app will connect to the TV but 20-40% of the time the Art Mode functions will be grayed out. Also, there are times during the day when the Art Mode brightness will revert to the default setting and can’t be dimmed. Both issues usuallyresolve themselves anywhere between a few minutes or an hour or two.

With the most current firmware, there is a new issue where AirPlay and screen mirroring have not been working consistently like they did in previous versions. I need to power the TV off an on again to make it work. Otherwise, it’s been great.

Take a look at the Rtings.com reviews of the 2020 Q70, Q80 and Frame and you’ll be able to compare the capabilities and measurements of all three.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Thank you. I've been reading up on these three units. I have a space that will be greatly enhanced by Art Mode, and I'm now trying to figure out how to run the cable between the head unit and the TV. The cable is not CL2 rated, so I'll need to run some sort of conduit for the cable that comes with the TV. Of course, since I'm doing that, I might as well run 3 HDMI cables and network cable up there in case I need to change out the TV at some point. I already have power to the proposed mounting location.

So, to net/net this out, I'm likely going to spend an extra $500 for the Art Mode, and another day or two running conduit for the future proofing of this device. All because the wife really likes the idea of Art Mode. I've really got to see one of these in person before I go all in.

Thank you for the info.

CJ

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

Wonderfully clean install. The Control box is mounted behind the TV...fantastic.

CJ

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
So, I ordered a 65" Frame yesterday. It will be delivered on Thursday. Got a lot of work to do before then. :)

41 - 60 of 64 Posts