AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the PANASONIC TH-50PX50U since Sep 06. I followed all the burn-in protection advice. However I have a 2 year old who loves the Noggin kids channel. I still limited the viewing on that channel because of the stationary logo. But sure enough the logo is burned it...albeit it is hard to see. It can only be seen on a bright background...Anybody not looking for it will never see it..and my wife thinks I'm crazy (She also proclaims in not seeing a big diff between SD and HD)......but its DEFINATELY there..

Anyway...that channel is now only allowed on for 30 minutes a day...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try running some full screen, no-logo video on the TV for a solid day or two (like, don't turn the TV off, let it run overnight, etc).

Either a full screen DVD in a repeat loop (no black bars) or something like Discovery HD channel (where the logo is rarely displayed, and no 4:3 content comes on).

After a several days of this, if the logo is still there, you may have some actual burn-in. Until then, it's just IR.

It seems this Noggin logo is becoming a problem for several plasma owners, maybe someone should call/write the people who make Noggin content and make them aware that it can damage some TV sets? I imagine that making the logo dimmer, more transparent, taking it off the screen for most of the show, or better yet a combination of all of these, would make this much less dangerous.

I'm glad I don't have kids yet

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyman /forum/post/0

I have had the PANASONIC TH-50PX50U since Sep 06. I followed all the burn-in protection advice. However I have a 2 year old who loves the Noggin kids channel. I still limited the viewing on that channel because of the stationary logo. But sure enough the logo is burned it...albeit it is hard to see. It can only be seen on a bright background...Anybody not looking for it will never see it..and my wife thinks I'm crazy (She also proclaims in not seeing a big diff between SD and HD)......but its DEFINATELY there..

Anyway...that channel is now only allowed on for 30 minutes a day...

relax, and let the kid watch his/her Nogin, the temp shadow will DISAPPEAR over time with watching regular DVD'S or HD content like Discovery and the sort, my 42" 4 year old ALIS 1024x1024 PDP also had that problem when I initially had my PC hooked up to it, the windows bar seemed burned in at the bottom of the screen, after a few months of watching TV the shadow disappeared, gone and never to be seen again. Make sure you just change your viewing once in a while, and let the kid enjoy Nogin, cheers

·
Registered
2,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd3mon /forum/post/0

Try running some full screen, no-logo video on the TV for a solid day or two (like, don't turn the TV off, let it run overnight, etc).

Either a full screen DVD in a repeat loop (no black bars) or something like Discovery HD channel (where the logo is rarely displayed, and no 4:3 content comes on).

After a several days of this, if the logo is still there, you may have some actual burn-in. Until then, it's just IR.

It seems this Noggin logo is becoming a problem for several plasma owners, maybe someone should call/write the people who make Noggin content and make them aware that it can damage some TV sets? I imagine that making the logo dimmer, more transparent, taking it off the screen for most of the show, or better yet a combination of all of these, would make this much less dangerous.

I'm glad I don't have kids yet

Noggin is owned by Nickelodeon. It is hard to find an address or phone number for them, although after much googling a few months ago, I did, and called their NY offices. I told them their logo was causing burn in on my NEC plasma, and they didn't seem to care. I decided to change the aspect ratio when the kids were watching it. Sometimes zoom, sometimes stretch, sometimes 4:3...etc. This seemed to do the trick. I hate that logo, and they never take it off the screen during a show.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
I'd recommend keeping your PDP off that station until the image retention is gone, then allow 30 minutes per day. For the time being, why not have your two-year-old watch Nickelodeon on another TV? I'm pretty sure he/she won't notice any difference.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/0

I'm pretty sure he/she won't notice any difference.

Haha yeah...there is something mystical about a big screen though. My son used to watch his stuff on a 27" CRT, but when my 5071 arrived he immediately started saying "Dada please watch on big TV."

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie1 /forum/post/0

You should have got a Samsung!

Samsungs suffer IR and burn-in so badly that that glaring Noggin logo would probably leave a hole in the Sammy's screen !!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Adjust your zoom setting to move the logo elsewhere temporarily.

If that does not fix it, it has been toasted.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J /forum/post/0

Noggin is owned by Viacom in NYC, right on Broadway.

Trust me, they don't give a crap about burn in on anyone's plasma.

lol. Sounds about right. Curiously I am wondering if any one has successfully had better luck with another broadcasting company? cough cough CNN scroll bar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try using the "ZOOM" mode on that channel and adjusting it so that the logo is just off the screen. Use the controls for the Zoom Adjust and adjust the vertical adjustment if you need to further move the logo off the screen. Most people don't even miss the excess off the screen.

I'm really surprised that a legal type hasn't threatened a class action lawsuite against those channels that still have burn-in prone logos on their stations. However LCDs aren't immune and can suffer from image persistance under long term exposure to static images. Larger LCD panels are said to have even more susceptibility to the effect, so I guess its best to be careful regardless of technology.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:
Remember the good old days before we were inundated with these pointless logos?

Like we don't know what channel we're watching. After all, it is easy to mistake Toon Disney for CSPAN

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

Samsungs suffer IR and burn-in so badly that that glaring Noggin logo would probably leave a hole in the Sammy's screen !!

really? i havent noticed

..other than the nice all white feature they have ..could have taken care of that noggin logo in about 30 min if it truly is IR

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The Sammy has anti IR features which seem to work very good. I checked mine last night, after 200+ hours of use, and no detectable IR what so ever. I didn't even take any precautions and I'm watching and a lot of letterboxed stuff. I think Panny is planning to add some of these features in it's next generation panel.

Jon

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.