AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/050613_1230 and elsewhere:
Quote:
Warner Home Video has just set The Fugitive: 20th Anniversary Edition for Blu-ray release on 9/3 (SRP $19.98). Extras will include the all-new featurette The Fugitive: Thrill of the Chase (featuring director Andrew Davis, stars Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones and more), the vintage On the Run with the Fugitive and Derailed: Anatomy of a Train Wreck featurettes, the pilot for the 2000 WB TV series The Fugitive, an introduction by Davis and Harrison Ford, audio commentary by Davis and Tommy Lee Jones, and the film’s theatrical trailer.

No word on a new encoding? The original is pretty dismal.

-Bill

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews  /t/1471588/the-fugitive-20th-anniversary-edition-sep-3-2013#post_23285613

I bought the HD-DVD as a blind buy, didn't bother with the Blu-ray given the common master.

C'mon, do something special for the 20th!

I agree, I love this film.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd love to upgrade my DVD, but not going to blind buy it until I see some reviews. Witness, is another terrific Ford film I want on Blu ray.

·
Registered
849 Posts
This is easily the worst looking BD I have. I can't find anything about a new scan, but surely an anniversary edition with new special features would get a new scan considering how bad the original BD release is. The Fugitive is one of my favorites, and I am really hoping this new release is going to look good.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
My hope is that with Sony on the 4K warpath, other studios will start taking PQ more seriously. I mean, they should have been taking it seriously the whole time, but The Fugitive is terrible by BD standards... even by HDTV standards.

·
Registered
22,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews  /t/1471588/the-fugitive-20th-anniversary-edition-sep-3-2013#post_23306383

My hope is that with Sony on the 4K warpath, other studios will start taking PQ more seriously..

Gotta ask: What makes you think that Sony's push for 4K has anything to do with PQ?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I heard months ago that Warner had been working on a new master for The Fugutive and Enter the Dragon(also due out this year). I read about on these forums, I know I wasn't imagining things.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99  /t/1471588/the-fugitive-20th-anniversary-edition-sep-3-2013#post_23310615

I heard months ago that Warner had been working on a new master for The Fugutive and Enter the Dragon(also due out this year). I read about on these forums, I know I wasn't imagining things.

Yeah sure, snake... that was rumored about Running Man too.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99  /t/1471588/the-fugitive-20th-anniversary-edition-sep-3-2013#post_23314854

If you recall, Snake is never wrong... http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=219670

But then you aren't the real Snake!

While it would make sense for a remaster with the upcoming 4K battle, all I see there is an announcement that makes no claim to be a remaster or transfer. There is another link to another thread from 2011 that has a Facebook quote by Jim Bowers of CapedWonder.com stating that he heard from "his friends at Warner" that The Fugitive was getting remastered. Then later confirmed by the WB Shop Facebook page... I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99  /t/1471588/the-fugitive-20th-anniversary-edition-sep-3-2013#post_23314854

If you recall, Snake is never wrong...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=219670

Yeah right snake, that thread proves nothing, no WB announcement and I cannot find anything on the WB shop Fugitive page about the transfer.

Go ahead prove me wrong, where does WB state this?

Reminds of when snake did not listen to the tour guide and ended up on the slab, never wrong my ass.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
From what I remember there was a Mpeg-2 and VC1 encode and the latest is reported as a AVC and therefore a new version at least.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fugitive-Blu-ray/72224/#Review

Really need direct image comparisons to be sure, however the image looks like a new master (reviewer gets it wrong again), although not the best pq I have seen from WB but it did not go the Enter the Dragon route of zoom and crop. Jaggies are gone, has a bit more detail and I like the darker color grading a lot. Still some slight EE, the tunnel shot against the pant legs for instance, just not as bad as before.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther  /t/1471588/the-fugitive-20th-anniversary-edition-sep-3-2013#post_23316886

Yeah right snake, that thread proves nothing, no WB announcement and I cannot find anything on the WB shop Fugitive page about the transfer.

Reminds of when snake did not listen to the tour guide and ended up on the slab, never wrong my ass.

Turns out you were wrong. It is clearly a new master and the case graphics state this as well. A noticeable improvement over the old Blu-ray in both video and especially audio. Not to mention Costco has it for under $7.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther  /t/1471588/the-fugitive-20th-anniversary-edition-sep-3-2013#post_23316886

I win.

·
Registered
Vizio PQ65-F1, Onkyo TX-RZ810, LG UBK90, Sony BDP-S380, Toshiba HD-XA2, M&K Speakers
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer  /t/1471588/the-fugitive-20th-anniversary-edition-sep-3-2013/0_100#post_23759738

Turns out you were wrong. It is clearly a new master and the case graphics state this as well. A noticeable improvement over the old Blu-ray in both video and especially audio. Not to mention Costco has it for under $7.

Where & how did you come up with the Costco price under $7?? Looks like $13 to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.