AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completely light controlled room. Measures about 14' wide x 20' deep and 8' high. Just barely scraped by size wise to make this a Theater Room. I had the choice of building a few house styles for the community I settled in and this house had the second best basement layout for the theater while it offered some frills my wife wanted and I compromised so she could have a second floor studio. This was a new construction home as of 2018 and I have been building this theater space since March of 2019 but started the plans back in 2017.

Theater Room will be treated in all black using Mouse Ears and then Triple Black Velvet wrapped panels adhered to walls and ceiling for almost the entire room. I have 60 yards to work with and am confident the results will be spectacular. Shooting for the black hole effect rather than opera hall aesthetic. Plus it's cheaper this way.

7.2.4 Sound system already in possession is:
Denon AVR-X6400H (bought in 2018, still haven't unboxed it)
Front Sound stage - Klipsch RF7 III towers and the RF7 III center channel (using in living room till theater is done)
Left and Back speakers - Klipsch RB-81 Reference II Two-Way (still in boxes)
Ceiling Atmos - Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (still in boxes)
2 - 18" Sonotube Subwoofers (have parts - need to build when theater is complete) see link in sig.

Video:
Epson - Epson Home Cinema 5050UB (own - stored in box)
DIY Screen - 165" 2.0:1 Aspect ratio using spandex (need to still build)
Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (own but still in box)
Ziddo X20 PRO (need to still buy)

The bulk of the project has been documented in video format for Youtube (see sig below) so there are not a tremendous amount of photos. I have been taking more lately as progress is made. I am building and finishing an entire basement along with a second 7.2.2 Atmos gaming/media room adjacent to the theater room that will be a different thread. The projector will be mounted behind the theater room in a hole in the back located in the server room. This will will store all the hardware and additional equipment that will be remotely accessed from the media room.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Started priming the room is a dark grey kills. Sort of halted that while the base trim and woodwork tools were in the way and I needed to finish all that before I can clear the room out and finish the priming and painting. This is in conjunction with the media room build so there is a lot a cutting going on.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
You can tell how much thought went into this build. Plenty of room behind the screen for future speaker or subwoofer upgrades. Projection room to isolate the noise and heat. Really nice soffit design. Can't wait to see it finished.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a bit of info... I had a feeling that the cutout in the back wall for the projector may have been too low for the height of the screen I'm planning. If that were the case, I installed a 4 foot 2x8 stud center ceiling above the cutout to bring the projector out into the room for more accurate height and distance adjustments to make sure the seated position to the screen the lowness of the screen does not give us the mystery science theater 3000 effect. That's what the 48" to wall board is in the very first pick. Something I can install the projector mount into just in case.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did some painting over the weekend. The theater room painted black doesn't create the light void one would expect so I have 60yrds of triple black velvet I will still line about 80% of room with despite having painted it.

All baseboards are getting a second coat as well as the back walls not receiving velvet panels. The entire ceiling will be lined too. so much work

·
Registered
856 Posts
It's Glidden PPG Diamond flat/matte with Mouse Ears tint. I'll be applying two coats of matte polyethylene to the base boards towards the end to help with vacuum cleaner swipes. Just before the carpet gets ordered.
Going to do something different with my base trim. I actually meant the walls marking easily. First time I got a mark, I made the mistake of trying to wipe it off. You only do that once...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to do something different with my base trim. I actually meant the walls marking easily. First time I got a mark, I made the mistake of trying to wipe it off. You only do that once...
All flat/matte paints leave marks no matter the brand or color. I used a red flat paint in a room at my previous house and it marked up badly. You could not wipe it clean either. So dusting was not possible. It's the nature of the flat paint. The only way around that is to step up to eggshell or satin but then you are defeating the intent. The hardener in the paint is what protects the surface but also creates a glare as a side effect. The only flat paint job that seemed to resist smudges (better but not completely) is a watered down mix meant for spraying and in multiple thin coats. Home owners usually paint a thicker layer by using a roller and that I believe is where the smudging really gets to be a pain. It's rare anyone would use a sprayer so the quality of the surface is different compared to rolled on. I've sprayed parts of my basement but you have to dilute the paint. I also added floetrol to the mixture which evens out the paint even if using a brush. When painting base boards and door trims with a brush you must always consider adding floetrol to the paint as it virtually eliminates brush strokes and gives a smooth sprayed on appearance, especially when painting black. My doors look incredible as if they were manufactured in black and not painted.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Very skillfully done Wookie, impressive thus far.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

1 - 17 of 17 Posts