AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This room measures about 14'x11'x8'. Approx the size a of a bedroom so there wasn't much that could be done with it. I decided to make it a gaming room. This space is connected via Ethernet and Ultra HDMI fiber cables to a server room located behind the Home Theater (see my other build thread and get more details by watching my Youtube videos). The purpose of the link is to reduce noise and heat that could occur in a small space from the use of a high end gaming PC. Also, there are sets of Cat6 for USB keyboard/mouse extensions as well as the possible future need for an 8K HDMI extender in the event both my Fiber HDMI cables fail. This space is designed for a single center seat aligned in a Dolby Atmos 7.2.2 arrangement. The media room is intended support my Guitar and Marshall amp, Xbox Series X, PS5 and PC powered by whatever new RTX card Nvidia springs on us later this year.

7.2.2 Sound system already in possession is:
Denon AVR-X4400H (bought in 2018 but will now need to upgrade to support the latest 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 4K/120 gaming speeds)
Front Sound stage - Klipsch RB-81 Reference II Two-Way (still in boxes)
Left and Back speakers - Klipsch RP-150M Reference Premiere Monitor Speaker (still in boxes)
Ceiling Atmos - Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (still in boxes)
2 Klipsch Reference Subwoofers R-112SW

Video portion is completely up in the air. I was all set to get the LG OLED 77" CX but have since learned it has no DTS passthru. I was then considering one of the top models of Samsung but pfft... They don't seem to care anymore. I then looked at Sony TV's and again, they have no interest in supporting the PS5 as it appears. My next hope is Vizio's 2021 line due to be announced for sale at the end of June. I hope their 75" Quantum X hits the mark. We shall see.

I won't have time to subtitle each photo but essentially, the room is floating within a 9' basement height to bring the room to 8'. The ceiling rafters are 2x8 studs run along the top to reduce sound from the room to the rest of the house. In between these studs I have designed and built Atmos speaker backer boxes to sit flush for recessed ceiling speaker mounting. I did use constriction adhesive for every sheet of drywall on every stud in the entire basement. Don't be surprised if the pics are out of order.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
So you are building a media room and a theater at the same exact time?!?!! That is crazy. Nice work by you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you are building a media room and a theater at the same exact time?!?!! That is crazy. Nice work by you.

yup. once the shelves are done here, they'll be stained and polyurethaned so I can resume the base trim around the basement.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
yup. once the shelves are done here, they'll be stained and polyurethaned so I can resume the base trim around the basement.
That is one helluva custom entertainment unit. Will the media room be more dedicated to gaming and television and the home theater for movies?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is one helluva custom entertainment unit. Will the media room be more dedicated to gaming and television and the home theater for movies?

Yes, the media room is where I'll be playing guitar, gaming, listening to music. The theater room will be only movies. No multipurpose b.s. here.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here is a trash animated rendering of the beta design of the basement I made prior to the house being built. We rented a cheapo apartment for 6 months while the house was being built and I was bored. Not bored enough to figure out why the stupid video kept pausing though. Gives a rough idea of what I am still mostly shooting for. Several changes in design have been made but the jist is still there.

I have no idea why the program halted they way it does.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got some shelves up. I ordered this awesome black wood grain vinyl and applied it to the shelves. I did not want my media resting on stained and polyurethane'd wood. My experience is not matter how long it has cured or aged, it will still make certain items stick to it. I chose to apply a synthetic surface to prevent that. Plus it looks amazing, I think anyways.

Starting with just the plain plywood:

First application of the laminate:

Got them into position for a feel of the install. Nice thing about the vinyl is it can be wrapped around the edges for a cleaner look.

I also decided to line the side walls where media will be stored to prevent contact with the wood:

Shelves with face trim installed:

Here I built two boxes to sit on the media shelves to prevent the media from going too far back on the shelf. Plus they act as storage bins for all the misc things like sleeves and case covers that might get in the way on the shelf: 

·
Registered
386 Posts
you should replace the box in this picture:

with one of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-2-Gang-Old-Work-PVC-Dual-Voltage-Box-Bracket-E-18-4-DVR/202664434

Liking it a lot so far. following to see the finished product

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Media center is complete.

The entirety of the front face of this media center will be completely covered by an 85" flat panel. Should almost seem like the TV is floating with only the left and right wings showing.
​​​​​​​

Small pull out shelf just for the new Xbox Series X. Once out, I can reach behind to the lower shelf for cable management of the PS5. No need to move consoles around. The larger left compartment is for the AVR.

I was hoping that these openings would act as heat traps in addition to easy cable management access to run cable above and below TV box.

That's it for the media room. Now on to finishing the other parts of the theater and basement. I hope to be complete by end of July and get carpet on order and installed sometime in August. 

1 - 12 of 12 Posts