AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Future of HDTV.....as it pertains to me.

I have been reading all of the posts on all of the DVI and 1394 threads along with anything I can get off the net. I even started one of the original threads that brought this problem to light.

But the more I read, the more I am not sure that I am going to be affected as much as some people make this transition out to be...including myself.

In 1998 I purchased a Zenith PRO900X FPTV, a $12,500 projector for the express purpose of getting ready for HDTV.

I even bought an RGB switcher as I fet that all of my sources would be in RGB and that was the format I would move up to from S-Video.

2001 has ushered in the DVI/1394 fiascio and I started to think how this marvel of video technology may wind up to be only useful for playing my DVD's at 800x600 @72kHz which is a far cry from HDTV.

So here is what I have gleamed from the input of all the members and myself and I believe that many will be in the same position when this DVI/1394 thing is all said and done.

I have neither 1394 nor DVI and I do not expect that a converter box to be made available.

1. I will be able to continue watching OTA HDTV

2. I will be able to continue watching HBO and Showtime in HD.

3. If Discovery HD ever appears I will be able to watch that along with any other channel that decides to offer HDTV.

4. I will not be able to watch HD-PPV or Special HD Events that may or may not have an additional charge associated with them.

5. I will not be able to record and playback HDTV using new equipment like the Mits HD DVHS VCR or the new JVC HD DVHS VCR.

6. If I want I can purchase a JVC WVHS unit to record HDTV.

Just for the record, I don't watch HD-PPV (there...I said it and don't feel guilty!) I really don't watch any PPV.

I am very happy with my system...it has and will continue to provide me with hours of pleasure.

I can't record HDTV today and just for the record...I really can't see anything on that is worth watching more than once. I lived for about 2 years without a VCR when my SVHS bit the dust and really didn't miss it...though I did just recently buy a Dish 501...and love it!

I recently dropped Showtime just because i just wasn't watching it that much and they offered so little "true"HD. I went from the Top 50 to the Top 150 where I watch much more programming and it was an almost wash as far as the monthly cost.

There might be hope for me yet because I know that DISH is going to offer the 952 a HDTV PVR and it might have both DVI and RGB/Component so the above will apply. And if it doesn't...then I won't record HDTV.

I have many hobbies in my life and my HT is just one of them.

My biggest concern was spending so much money and thinking that it might have been a waste...but I don't think so.

Lee

·
Registered
492 Posts
Agree

I plan on enjoying what I have, and deal with what comes when it comes, trusting that if Hd is entrenched, obselesence will not be an option

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any idea when dish will be rolling out the new PVR 952. THere is barely any hdtv content right now.. my guess is in 2- years??

--MIKE

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
You've pretty much summed up my take on the matter. I was pretty concerned about this when it first surfaced but I have come to many of the same conclusions that you have and I am not going to let this detract from my enjoyment. I certainly don't regret buying my Pro 610 and if I had it to do over, knowing we we know at this time, I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

The only concern I have over this whole mess is will it further slow (or inhibit) HDTV growth? The adoption rate has been slow (for a lot of reasons) and this is another uncertainty added to the mix.

------------------

Geof

[This message has been edited by Geof (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

All that I have read says that the 952 "should" be available in the 4th quarter of 2002.

Zenith has also stated that they too will offer an HD PVR for DirecTV at the end of 2002.

Both should be shown at the 2002 CES Show in Vegas...the second week of January 2002.

If you go to the HD Recorders Forum there is a thread about the 952 with some specs thogu no one knows if the specs are cast in concrete.

Lee

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Lee,

I couldn't agree more. The only content that will be copyrighted is stuff the MPAA has control over. Since HDCP has already been "hacked" I doubt if it will be released in it's current form leading to several more years before it is implemented. I am beginning the process of building a dedicated theater in my basement and I will not hesitate to buy a new LCD/DLP projector next year. If the MPAA wants to kill a potential revenue stream then more power to them. I will continue to watch my movies on DVD, sports/HBO in HD and continue to avoid anything PPV.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LeeAntin:

2. I will be able to continue watching HBO and Showtime in HD.

3. If Discovery HD ever appears I will be able to watch that along with any other channel that decides to offer HDTV.

I lived for about 2 years without a VCR when my SVHS bit the dust and really didn't miss it...though
I must have missed something in all these discussions. What is preventing or discouraging them from encrypting HBO HD and Discovery HD with 5C?

My SVHS recorder also died a few years ago and I have not found a reason to replace it. I do want a PVR that records satellite SD and HD along with OTA SD and HD.

Since I will only have the loss of my DTC-100 (hooked to a 21" monitor) in this process, I am looking forward to digital networking of all the AV components. 5C will not have much affect on my viewing.

The ability to network all the components in the house with 5C/HAVi and be under the control of a computer with a large screen is major step up from our present clumsy systems.

I have a 400 CD player under the control of a computer. It is a major improvement over normal CD player that I now would not want to live without.

We were told almost from the start that encryption was coming. I avoided buying much HD equipment because of that knowledge.

I will probably now start buying equipment because the equipment should be useful for many years. The advantages of AV home networking may also kick off increased spending by others.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack,

Looking at my system...it doesn't matter if they encrypt HBO or Discover with 5C.

1394/5C is for the RECORDING of HDTV. In my system, my equipment would ignore it because I have no HD recording equipment.

It's like today I have no SAP (second audio program) equipment. My equipment ignores the embedded SAP signal with the broadcast. The same is for that system that is used for the deaf where it shows text at the bottom of the screen of what the actors are saying.

Only the DVI/HDCP would effect my equipment because that is for VIEWING HDTV and according to everything discussed only PPV (in some form) would be encrypted. Here I would not be able to see HDTV but some low res form like 600i or 480P or even just plain 480i NTSC.

Lee

·
Registered
33 Posts
LeeAntin,

What about the folks with analog only sets that live in NY or NJ that have Cablevision. The new Sony stb's have no slot for analog. You know as well as i do, Cablevision does not want analog because it will mess up there plans of VOD and other pay per play services. What do u tell those guys that bought brand new HDTV analog sets (besides go get DISH or Directv)??

--MIKE

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike,

That is exactly what I would tell them...put up a dish and put up a UHF antenna.

It boggles my mind that Cablevision thinks that people are going to buy a brand new Sony or Mits. set to view HDTV because they are the only companies that have announced 1394 compatible equipment. There are probably at least 2000 people in the NY/NJ area that have HDTV compatible displays and not one of them is going to be able to use this new Sony box.

So what do you think those 2000 people are going to do? Ditch their 1 to 2 year old HDTV displays...or cancel Cablevision and go to Satellite? Duhhhhhhhh

I really don't know too much about the Cable situation. I got rid of cable 7 years ago and would never go back...no matter what!

Lee

·
Registered
395 Posts

I just went to a local dealer today; I'm shopping for a new monitor. After talking with him for a while, it became clear he has been in the business of selling hd capable equipment since the beginning. He says that the 1394/5C thing is already dead; that pretty much nothing else will come out to support it.

Of course, his interest is to make me buy a system today, and I can understand his motivation to say this. But I believed that he believed this at least. Its really amazing how people can have such a polarized view of this subject when it comes to discussing the future.

--ma

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
HBO is producing a number of films of their own each season, in addition to their series. I would expect to see more of these released in true HD. For the most part, they've been better productions and more worthwhile viewing for me personally, than much of the Hollywood crap. Likewise, other services such as TNT, produce their own films for their channels. As other services move to HD, I can visualize much less of a dependency on Hollywood. Perhaps good riddance to Jack and his buddies at MPAA.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just thought I'd put another perspective on the topic. I had planned to purchase a new HDTV this fall. It was either the Sony FPTV or a Pioneer RPTV. When all of this copyright discussion started it forced me to postpone the decision. Instead I spent the 10k I had set aside upgrading my speakers and amplification. If I had already purchased HDTV then, like you, I would have let it run it's course. Since I didn't I held back on the expenditure. This is bad for HDTV as it scares dollars away from the format. It really is to bad.

Ken

·
Registered
117 Posts
I want to buy a new unit now and do not want to wait. It appears from reading these threads that if you buy a HDTV with the receiver built in RCA has a cheap 65 inch one for less than $2500) that you wont be affected if they go to firewire or DVI. Is this true? If so, then maybe it would be wise to rather than buy a top of the line other brand, just go ahead and get the RCA for less money and not worry. Is this true, or will the built ins also be affected?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes...you will be affected jusy like the rest of us. The only sets that can be upgrade as of today are the Mits sets which will have the abaility to add a 1394/5C module BUT not a DVI/HDCP.

As I pointed out above in the original post...what happens to me will happen to you.

Lee

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LeeAntin:
1394/5C is for the RECORDING of HDTV. In my system, my equipment would ignore it because I have no HD recording equipment.
The main purpose of 1394 and 1394b (longer cable runs) is to interconnect all AV components in the house. A recorder is just one component to be interconnected.

The plan is to connect both AV and computer equipment through out the house with the control of equipment displayed on the computer and/or video monitor. Any monitor and amplifier in the house can select any AV source in the house to use.

I suspect instead of remote controls, we will have wireless mice or the detection of our hand movements to control selection of menus on the screen or all of the equipment.

Firewire is the transition technology to a digital home network concept, not just a recorder interface. In other words, the future of the HDTV transition from analog to digital.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Analog connectivity will dissappear in any case bacause it's inferior technology and more importantly to consumer manufactures, it's more expensive than digital interfaces.

This has nothing to do with the content owners or MPAA. It just so happens the sophisicated copy protection schemes can only be implemented in a digital interface.

The 1394/DVI battel is a godsend for all of us. It will just push the implementation out farther. And then there is the possibility of yet another idea if they wait too long.

My take as a Hollywood industry member:

1) OTA will never be encrypted. That simply violates the communications act of 1934. If it's on publically allocated airwaves it's free. What about the old OTA subscription services of the 80s? Check the FCC rules, it's a special license and subject to substantial required non-subscription broadcasting.

2) DBS and cable will probably grandfather older STB's up to their 7 year life. There are not enough owners to be a threat but are enough to make a public relations and calss action problem.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie:

2) DBS and cable will probably grandfather older STB's up to their 7 year life. There are not enough owners to be a threat but are enough to make a public relations and calss action problem.
That is interesting. I decided not to buy the LT150 because of 5C coming onto the market.

You are saying that if someone buys an analog set to use with their present STB that it will still be able to display all of the HDTV for the next seven years?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
It may be 7 or 17 years before anybody broadcasts any HDTV here the way it's going...

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande, meow meow!

Stop DFAST, tell the MPAA to eat static!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.