AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Check out our review of this remake of the 1974 classic film of the same name about literature professor and gambler Jim Bennett whose dual life puts him on the wrong side of those who accept no excuses. Further complicating his situation is his strained relationship with those close to him. Will Bennett risk his life for a second chance?

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2014
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 110 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, John Goodman, Brie Larson, Michael Kenneth Williams, Jessica Lange
Directed by: Rupert Wyatt
Music by: Jon Brion
Written by: William Monahan
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 28, 2015

"The only way out is all in"

My Take:

Mark Wahlberg stars as Jim Bennett, a brilliant professor leading a secret double life as a high-stakes gambler. When Jim is forced to borrow money from a notorious gangster, he places the lives of those he loves in mortal danger. With time running out, he must enter the criminal underworld and risk everything to keep from losing it all.

The Gambler is a remake of the 1974 film of the same name starring James Caan. I haven’t seen that film in years but remember it as being quite decent with good acting and an intelligent script. This remake builds upon the same foundation with a contemporary narrative that more or less sticks close to the original in terms of theme. The plot revolves around a loner leading a by day/by night dual life who is set upon a destructive course where high stakes gambling takes him dangerously to the brink. He pushes away those close to him while gravitating toward nefarious types seeking to prey upon recklessness.

I honestly wasn’t expecting much from this film and while it doesn’t quite resonate as well as the original I found it to be fairly entertaining. As with the original the narrative contains thought provoking themes surrounding the concept of those seeking escape by engaging in destructive behavior and how it isn’t until they reach the precipice that they realize that isn’t the answer. The Gambler isn’t high-brow filmmaking and mainly sticks to base level characters and point to point storytelling which works quite well. There is an enriching darkness to the proceedings that is enhanced by the stylish nature of screenplay and solid performances by star Mark Wahlberg and the supporting ensemble around him. At 110 minutes little time feels wasted and director Rupert Wyatt does a great job keeping focus on point. All in all I found The Gambler to be an entertaining film that did a satisfactory job in living up to the original James Caan classic.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language throughout, and for some sexuality/nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element):

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Gambler comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

Colors are effectively used in this film to help set the tone/setting based upon the mood of the scene and characters within it. The chroma range isn’t diverse but hues can vary from being sullen and inanimate to warm and inviting. Skin tones are appropriately bland with natural highlights and descriptive variation. Images onscreen were exquisitely detailed and sharp with superb depth of field and visible texture during wide angle shots. Contrast is spot on and blacks are deep with revealing delineation that provides excellent perceptibility during scenes shot at night or in lower lighting. The video has a clean, pristine quality that enhanced dimensionality and occasionally provided a looking through a window effect.

The DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices are rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for active surround activity and extended dynamics however there is frequent use of atmospheric sounds that utilize the entire soundstage in support of the exterior/interior venues depicted in the film. The end result is a “sneaky” good audio presentation that renders the soundtrack’s elements with aplomb.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Mr. Self Destruct: Inside The Gambler – 14 minute featurette
  • (HD) Dark before dawn: The descent of The Gambler – 16 minute featurette
  • (HD) Changing the game: Adaptation – 9 minute featurette
  • (HD) Dressing the players: Costume design – 7 minute featurette
  • (HD) 6 Deleted/extended scenes
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Gambler is a contemporary remake of the 1974 classic film starring James Caan. While it may not resonate as effectively as the original it has plenty to offer and makes for a worthy addition to the genre. It comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video and sound accompanied by a complimentary supplement package that looks behind the scenes. The Gambler is well worth your time and deserves a spot near the top of your Blu-ray rental queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I thought this was a pretty good movie despite the professional reviews. Dude had some serious [email protected] for sure! An interesting take on someone with a gambling addiction and how it can affect their life.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Not a big Mark Wahlberg fan, he has a very odd dialogue delivery IMHO. I enjoyed this movie I got the HDX version from VUDU to add to my cloud library.
Thanks Ralph always enjoy your reviews.

Reactions: Ralph Potts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Great review Ralph.....looking forward to watching this movie. Not sure if I'll buy but definitely a rental.

Reactions: Ralph Potts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Not much being said about this 1....it CAN'T possibly be worse than Everly, and it's sitting at the top of my Queue!

·
Registered
22,304 Posts
I liked this a little bit more than the original 1974 version. Smart dialog and better characters. Maybe the 1974 version is just a bit dated. The ending is certainly different.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I liked this a little bit more than the original 1974 version. Smart dialog and better characters. Maybe the 1974 version is just a bit dated. The ending is certainly different.
I had the exact opposite reaction. I saw the original james Caan version about six months ago, so it was still fresh in my mind. I found that film significantly better overall, with the ending being one of my favorite ever. I like Mark Wahlberg and love films about degenerate gamblers, so I really wanted to like it as much as others, i just couldn't help but feel it was a let down compared to the original.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I so much like this movie, I think great role from Mark, music M83 was awsome, good stats in A/V in your review, I will buy this movie in next week.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
This wasn't bad, was worth a rent, but I won't buy it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts