AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to be offensive in nature, but out of these flicks which one do you think is the most favorite in the gay community.

I was just wandering after watching "In and Out" this weekend and the referrence to several titles.

Also on "Six Feet Under" Last week they played leading ladies.

I do not mean to offend abyone I'm just curious as to which film is the most popular within the "gay" community as opposed to what people feel is the most popular.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Yeah, and what happened to BIRDCAGE? Or the original LA CAGE AUX FOLLES(sp?). And how about John Waters' movies? And THE CRYING GAME?

The list is way too short -- it seems that half the movies on SUNDANCE or IFC are lesbian/gay-themed, so there must be several dozen such movies for such a poll.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DRS
This poll is a joke, it doesn't even have Priscilla, Queen of the desert!
Or that Wong Foo/Julie Newmar title....

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm confused.... out of all the titles listed... only Caberet & Basic Instinct have even a passing reference to homosexuality. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you change the subject header? Unfortunately, the term is used by ignorant people as an insult regardless of one's sexual orientation.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pdjennings
I'm confused.... out of all the titles listed... only Caberet & Basic Instinct have even a passing reference to homosexuality. Or am I missing something?
For a movie to be the "gayest" movie ever, it doesn't has to have a reference to homosexuality in the movie. It just has to be a required viewing for budding gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people.

And to Hank: How could you forget The Wizard Of Oz?

fuad

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeh Wizard of Oz and Sound of Music were left out.

Yes they do not have to be gay themed at all. It is a list of flicks that would be or thought to be "required" viewing in the "non hetero" community.

Basic Instinct - Jeanne Tripplehorn

Caberet - Liza Minneli

·
Registered
326 Posts
I can see why Sidhartha would think that way... and I agree to a point. It's all depending on it's usage. Having something be the "gayest movie"... reeks of a 12 year old's slang for "bad". So in that respect... it can come off as somewhat insensitive. The thread/poll could have been worded better.

Anyway.... if the intent really is "Movies That Are Really Popular With The Gay Community".... why are Mermaids, Chicago, or Moulin Rouge listed on there? I love the movies.... but don't see any "gay connection". Hell ... my parents have borrowed my copy of Chicago 4 times already. So.. is it the fact that Cher is in Mermaids.... and her.... daughter is gay? Or... is it the ol' "gays love them musicals" notion?

Beaches is always called a "gay cult classic" for some reason... I guess we're supposed to adore Bette Midler. *shrug*

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like 5 out of the 6 movies on the list and according to the Gay-O-Meter ( http://www.channel4.com/life/microsi...gayometer.html ) I am under 15% gay ;)

I put these movies in the poll based on watching shows with some gay themes in them or talking to people I know who aren't exactly straight.

For instance In and Out, Six Feet Under, Will and Grace all shows and movies I watch that led me to this topic.

·
Registered
22,273 Posts
My gosh!! Loosen up! No need to be overly sensitive!

I'd vote for Wong Foo also! Great movie! Snipes, Swayze and Leguizamo (sp?) were excellent.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
pd, the gay community has generally been very fond of musicals and such with lots of costume and show tunes, that's why movies like Moulin Rouge and Chicago are on there.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
FYI, I asked my friend who's gay and he said that Funny Girl would be the choice from that list, and that Mermaids and Basic Instinct didn't really belong on there.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really, does your freind have other recomendations ie what movie with Jeane Tripplehorn are they found of?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also if a moderator could Eliminate Basic Instinct and replace it with The Wizard of Oz I'd be very happy.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank527
Also if a moderator could Eliminate Basic Instinct and replace it with The Wizard of Oz I'd be very happy.
What is gay-friendly about The Wizard of Oz?

Judy Garland?

The Scarecrow or the Cowardly Lion?

The Wicked Witch of the West?

The music?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.