AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after multiple drawings, multiple trips down to the basement to re-measure, and multiple renderings, I've narrowed down the basic layout that I think will work for the basement. The main problem, is how to work around the the water heater. I am trying to keep the floor plan relatively open so that we can get as much use out of it as possible.

Basement Layout as it currently is:

Sketch 1:

This diagram assumes that we won't move the water heater, and just build the utility closet around it.

Sketch 2:

This diagram moves the water heater so that it is in line with the furnace, allowing for more space for the pool table.

Both of these plans assume that the A/V closet will be under the stairs. I haven't decided which window will be the emergency egress (it is required, I am doing this build to code). The one next to the poker table is not a real viable option (it opens under our deck).

Current Concerns:

1. Heating and Cooling for the whole basement, especially the home theater area. I need to start figuring out what the requirements are for adding the basement as a zone(s?). Any suggested reading would be appreciated.

2. Cooling for the A/V closet under the stairs.

3. Speaker placement for the home theater, and speaker equipment selection. My audio requirements are a little different from most people (I can't handle huge amounts of sound in enclosed spaces due to migraines), so I don't need the heavy duty speakers that most people would want. But I would still like good sound quality, and even sound distribution. Volume may not be my friend, but I still want a system I can be proud of. I will probably start out with 5.1 surround, and then eventually upgrade to 7.1.

4. I placed the bar underneath the kitchen. I am hoping to utilize the pipes and use them for the hookup below, thus reducing costs. Is this a reasonable thought process? I know nothing about plumbing. Again any suggested reading would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I am a girl. Yes, I am a dork. No, I will not sleep with you.

LOL
. I am glad you got that out of the way.

Fantastic looking space. Let's see some pictures.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpixie08 /forum/post/15525972

4. I placed the bar underneath the kitchen. I am hoping to utilize the pipes and use them for the hookup below, thus reducing costs. Is this a reasonable thought process? I know nothing about plumbing. Again any suggested reading would be appreciated.

It is a good thought to keep the basement wet bar near where you have access to an existing drain stack. As I look at the picture I see the kitchen drains headed downstream exiting on the right side of the room. if you put a sink on the far wall the drain would need to wrap around inside the wall over to that drain pipe. I'm not 100% sure that it can be that far away. If it exceeds local codes and If you really like that location you might be able to do an under-sink holding tank that gets pumped out to the drain-stack.

You might try a layout that puts the wet bar counter on the wall with drain-stack.

Running Hot and Cold water supplies anywhere in the basement is a piece of cake. Getting the drain and venting (required) hooked up is a little more difficult.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
In my opinion, I would simplify the space a bit. I think the double doors into the theater are more trouble than they are worth, and would just put a wall there.

In addition, I would make the air hockey players make go the long way, and just add the furnace/HW heater into your storage space. If your like most of us, you'll find a use for the extra storage space. Plus, it will add more airspace for your rack and your furnace (whatever your layout, if applicable, make sure it gets enough oxygen for combustion purposes, or there could be a carbon monoxide issue).

My two cents. EDIT - I'd also think about moving the bath door to in front of the shower and making the bath bigger (incorporating the hallway), possibly with a linen closet.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd /forum/post/15526549

LOL
. I am glad you got that out of the way.

Fantastic looking space. Let's see some pictures.

Gonzo doesn't mean of your space
J/K. Having a woman be into movies, and therefore interested in the idea of HT isn't so surprising to me. But video games, poker, and pool? Shocking!

Welcome to the forum,

CD

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
that is an incredible space. any thoughts of n indoor pool or hottub?

anyway you might consider the def tech procinema speaker series (or some other models). well rated and would probably meet your needs well without causing excessive vascular changes in your head

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DC_Pilgrim:

Thanks for the design advice. It's great advice and I will probably end up expanding the storage unit like you suggested. I'm not sure if I want to get rid of the double doors though. I realize I should probably take the advice of a HT veteran, but I'm stubborn.

What's worse is that I want to use french doors, which I know is a huge no-no for home theaters for a variety of reasons, glass rattling, light/sound leakage. But I just think they would look so nice and give the space a nice open feeling when we're entertaining. Bah, I'll probably end up trying to do it my way, realize you were right, grumble and curse, grudgingly give up and do it your way.

Denophile:

Think I'm going to pass on the indoor hottub idea, I don't want to have to deal with all the moisture/humidity factors that would involve. I do have a deck that would look stunning with a hottub though, if you're giving them away

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpixie08 /forum/post/15533496

DC_Pilgrim:

What's worse is that I want to use french doors, which I know is a huge no-no for home theaters for a variety of reasons, glass rattling, light/sound leakage. But I just think they would look so nice and give the space a nice open feeling when we're entertaining. Bah, I'll probably end up trying to do it my way, realize you were right, grumble and curse, grudgingly give up and do it your way.

But if you are entertaining you won't be using the theater or you will be using the theater. Either way, the doors add nothing.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts
Neither alternative does this space justice. You want to come down the stairs and be impressed. As proposed you come into a currently un-designated space. And you have to venture farther before you get see what the space has to offer.

I would try to work something out by putting the wet bar against the wall shared with the bathroom and you can tie the drains into the drain for the vanity.

Develop a theater lobby bar theme for the space at the bottom of the stars that knocks your socks off then make a grand entrance through your proposed double doors into the theater. I wouldn't mess with French doors I'd go for the money shot. Put a big back lit marquee over the double door. Flanked by back lit poster frames.

Exit out the back of the theater or down the bathroom hallway into all the game areas.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15538130

Exit out the back of the theater or down the bathroom hallway into all the game areas.

...through the gift shop, no less.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The two things that jumped out at me have been covered but I will give them both a +1.

1. Get rid of the french doors. Not only will it mess with everything already mentioned but will throw off the symetry and make lighting more difficult.

2. Like biggie says, you can run water anywhere. It is the drains that are a challenge.

My neighbor has a house that didn't include a nice master bath... so he is looking to add a jet tub to his basement bath. As long as this is not the issue in your case, I wouldn't bother making the bath any bigger as all you need it for is to take the occational squirt (or tinkle, in your case)

Just thought of one other thing. Get rid of the french doors and put an equipment closet in that wall that would back into the playroom. This would give you easy access to the back of it and no cooling issues. It would also make the wiring runs much shorter. I believe a clean looking equipment rack would say volumes more than french doors when it comes to the wow factor when showing it off.

Ok, now I have noticed something else.

The single door from the pool table room to the possible playroom seems to swing the wrong way. It should open against the wall.

Also the door to the bath should open into the bath but that just may be the way you wrote this up without really worring about that much detail at this point.

Good Luck and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You can actually put the water/drains wherever you want to, be it for a bathroom or a wetbar. All it entails is cutting the concrete slab and running a drain line so that it ties into an existing. I did this in my basement. It's really simple for a plumber to do, and only takes money.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15538130

Develop a theater lobby bar theme for the space at the bottom of the stars that knocks your socks off then make a grand entrance through your proposed double doors into the theater. I wouldn't mess with French doors I'd go for the money shot. Put a big back lit marquee over the double door. Flanked by back lit poster frames.

Now that is impressive! Ok no stupid french doors, but I think a big marquee above the door might be a little out of the realm of feasibility. Floor to joist is only 7'8" currently, I'm gonna lose some of that due to carpeting and ceiling. But I'll admit, you've piqued my interest. I may have to do some brainstorming to see what I can work out. Let the sketches commence!

RPH: Good call on putting the a/v closet to backing the playroom. It's actually made me re-think that whole wall's placement. I placed it there originally so that I could drywall over one of the lolly columns, but now that I think about it, I could easily make the room wider extend it closer to the stairs, and be able to add 1 or 2 more seats. Hmm....

·
Registered
893 Posts
I find item #3 in your signature offensive.... well maybe not offensive.... depressing would be the correct word

Awesome space for potential here, I apologize if I overlooked it, but did you list the ceiling height?

Also ignore anything Rph Drew says, he drinks heavily, lives in a trailer, and posts from a library PC.
j/k he rocks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Floor to joist height is 7'8". Assuming a drop down ceiling, carpet and padding, I'm going to lose at least a couple inches.

And as far as the drinking and the trailer go, those I can handle...but a library PC? I'm sorry that's just not acceptable. A good rig is very important. How else are you going to spend all day in front of your computer playing WoW?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy /forum/post/15538646

I apologize if I overlooked it, but did you list the ceiling height?

Ya, look about 3 inches up on your screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpixie08 /forum/post/15538383

Floor to joist is only 7'8" currently, I'm gonna lose some of that due to carpeting and ceiling.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,382 Posts
OK maybe that door is too tall but there are some design elements you might incorporate. Don't know if you've seen this thread with a compilation of theater entrances:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=796512

I like how this DIY effort turned out:

and this one just drips with class:

If you look closely you can see that he used a big pocket door. He took the Pic before the seating went in and through the door is actually the riser (see the curve?), you should check out BigRed's build thread because his back sit at bar (third row) is a piece of art.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Yep. Don't do a drop ceiling. You want DD/GG with recessed hattrack. You'll only lose a couple of inches that way AND maintain soundproofing (assuming you don't put light can in the ceiling.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts