AVS Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
On the last episode regarding The Karate Kid, I've only seen one person Miyagi someone in real life. :) The year was 1995 at my former agency's academy and a agent trainee had a cramp in his gluteus maximus while running. A 50 something instructor had him stretch out on a picnic table and the instructor warmed his hands and Miyagi(ed) his back side while the trainee (20-30 age wise) had a horrified expression. It was the funniest thing we saw during our sixteen weeks there. Today the the instructor would be fired for doing something like that because it was most certainly inappropriate contact and psychologically damaging to the new employee. Not to mention the crap he caught from us. :D

We have been fans of this show from the beginning. Each week I watch this show with my 22 year old daughter and pause it from time to time to explain an 80s reference such as the 80s appropriate Doritos Bag a few episodes ago or telling her about the 1995 Miyagi incident.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Great to re-live moments from my teenage years with this show.

One thing I've noticed this season is the constant reference to the "other" Adam Goldberg and how the character had to start using his middle initial to separate the two. They've mentioned it in every episode this season. Wonder if it's a legal thing, an inside joke, or something else?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
One thing I've noticed this season is the constant reference to the "other" Adam Goldberg and how the character had to start using his middle initial to separate the two. They've mentioned it in every episode this season. Wonder if it's a legal thing, an inside joke, or something else?

Since they have shown actors from the 80's in this show and from time to time brought in people from the Goldberg's past, I was hoping the real "other" Adam was going to be on the show.

If he does exist, this would have been the perfect episode to have him have a guest roll.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Adam Goldberg is an actor 6 years older than Adam F Goldberg. Check IMDB for his credentials.

The feud began back in July after the actor AG tweeted that The Goldbergs show was being moved to the timeslot on TV Land where the actor's show (The Jim Gaffigan Show) airs. Things escalated from there and the writers made up the Adam Goldberg character on The Goldbergs so they could join in on the "fun".

I wouldn't count on actor Adam Goldberg showing up any time on The Goldbergs.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Anyone still watching this show? I was fearful of the direction of the show when Goldberg stepped away from being the showrunner. It's becoming less and less about the 80's. It's starting to become more like the later years of Happy Days, less about the era and more about the life lessons with some goofiness.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
MR4M: Me, but I agree. It's not good. That season 8 premiere wasn't good even though I was a fan of Airplane. Also, the last two episodes weren't good too. Time to axe it for this to be a final season, ABC. :(

School, 90s, wasn't good too.

·
Registered
20,134 Posts
George Segal Dies: Oscar-Nominated Actor & ‘The Goldbergs’ Star Was 87
By Nellie Andreeva, Erik Pedersen

George Segal, the Oscar-nominated actor whose credits range from Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Where’s Poppa? to Just Shoot Me! and The Goldbergs, died today in Santa Rosa, CA, of complications from bypass surgery. He was 87.

His wife, Sonia Segal confirmed the news. “The family is devastated to announce that this morning George Segal passed away due to complications from bypass surgery,” she said in a statement.

For the past eight years, Segal had been a series regular on ABC’s 1980s-set family comedy The Goldbergs. The last episode he filmed before his death, Episode 16 of the show’s current eighth season, is set to air April 7. The series is expected to pay tribute to Segal on-air.

Segal probably is best known for his TV sitcom role as magazine publisher Jack Gallo on NBC’s Just Shoot Me!, which earned him two Golden Globe nominations, and as family patriarch Albert “Pops” Solomon on The Goldbergs. He also headlined the late-’80s ABC detective drama Murphy’s Law, the 1987 CBS comedy Take Five and TV Land sitcom Retired at 35.

But Segal also was an Oscar nominee for Mike Nichols’ 1966 Edward Albee adaptation Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? — co-starring opposite A-listers Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton — and a leading man in movies. He starred in films by such legends as Stanley Kramer (Ships of Fools, 1965), Roger Corman (The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, 1967), Sidney Lumet (Bye Bye Braverman, 1968), Carl Reiner (Where’s Poppa?, 1970), Herbert Ross (The Owl and the Pussycat, 1970), Paul Mazursky (Blume in Love, 1973) and Robert Altman (California Split, 1974).

He also starred in two films by writer-director Melvin Frank — 1973’s A Touch of Class, opposite Glenda Jackson, and 1976’s The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox, with Goldie Hawn — and opposite Barbra Streisand in The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996), which she also directed.

Segal’s many other big screen credits include King Rat, The Terminal Man, The Black Bird, Fun with Dick and Jane, Russian Roulette, Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?, All’s Fair, Time of Darkness, For the Boys, two Look Who’s Talking films and David O. Russell’s Flirting with Disaster.

Among his first film credits were The Young Doctors (1961) and an Army Ranger role in The Longest Day, the 1962 D-Day epic starring John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Richard Burton, Robert Mitchum, Peter Lawford, Eddie Albert, Rod Steiger, Robert Wagner, Red Buttons, Steve Forrest and a pre-Bond Sean Connery.

Born on February 13, 1934, in Great Neck, NY, Segal did a stint in the military before getting his start on the small screen, guesting on shows including Naked City, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and Arrest and Trial.

He also had a handful of Broadway roles, starring with John Lithgow in the 1985 adaptation of Rod Serling’s Requiem for a Heavyweight and 1999’s Art with Alan Alda, Victor Garber and Alfred Molina.

Along with his Academy Award nomination, Segal was a five-time Golden Globe nominee and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

deadline.com

·
Registered
20,134 Posts
‘The Goldbergs’ Pays Tribute To Star George Segal

ABC’s The Goldbergs aired an original episode tonight, which was dedicated to series’ star George Segal who died Tuesday in Santa Rosa, CA, of complications from bypass surgery. He was 87.

The new episode, which featured Segal, ended with an In Memoriam video card that included Segal’s photo as his Goldbergs character and his year of birth and year of death (1934-2021). You can watch it below.

For the past eight years, Segal was a series regular on ABC’s 1980s-set family comedy, playing as Albert “Pops” Solomon, Beverly’s (Wendi McLendon-Covey) laid-back widower father and a World War II Veteran. The last episode he filmed before his death, Episode 16 of the show’s current eighth season, is set to air April 7. It is unclear whether his character’s death will be addressed this season as The Goldbergs is shooting its season finale this week. It has not been renewed for Season 9 yet.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Segal or no Segal, the show has run its course. I enjoyed the early seasons. Not so much the last few.

·
Administrator
20,477 Posts
That 2 second "In Memoriam video card" seemed a bit weak. I hope it was due to time constraints and they have something a bit more planned.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That 2 second "In Memoriam video card" seemed a bit weak. I hope it was due to time constraints and they have something a bit more planned.
I'm sure that was just what they could do at the last minute (what, 24 hours, maybe? If that?). I can't find any links at the moment but I'm pretty sure I've read that they are definitely planning something more in depth.

It was fitting that the episode featured Pops so prominently.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts