AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please note - torrenting TV shows and movies is not a crime when done legally. The movie "A StreetCar Named Desire", for example, has had it's copyright lapse, and can be legally downloaded.

And that's the movie that's shown in the trailer below being downloaded in this preview of "The Good Seed" - a free (accepting donations, of course) system for both TV Series and Movies, coming soon to a Windows HTPC near you.

Basically, I was going bat*** stir-crazy from non-stop coding so took a break to screencast the front-end movie-loading portion.

Here's what happens - you find the movie on isohunt all while on your laptop (NOT your HTPC), and copy the name you want it to be called.

Alt shift D starts the script:

1. Loads the torrent via the webgui into your remote PC's uTorrent. (In this video, it's loaded onto my local box via 127.0.0.1 for video purposes, but same principle applies and I've confirmed it works).

2. Googles IMDB with your copied text, and suggests the best possible movie name - including date. If OK, you hit OK.

3. Takes that movie name and the hash of the movie and stores it in a network share on your HTPC computer.

In the meantime, your HTPC computer runs The Good Seed back-end application and, depending on your choices for configuration, automatically uses the Media Manager of your choice to automatically clean up your movies. Using the cleaned up name you selected in steps 2 and 3.

Since movie renaming and processing depends on getting the name (year) in the topmost folder, step # 2 above is kind of important - especially since IMDB's search engine blows goats.

Anyway - and most importantly - it does all the above, while still letting you seed. Yep - the solution to a very old question on how to be a good torrent citizen - yet watch your shows in a timely fashion - and letting your computer automatically process all of your TV shows.

Video here -
- and I'll post with the Good Seed itself when completely finished. (the hardest part was the TV series section, and that's done)....

Anyone interested in a 'set and forget' torrenting solution with seeding of your choice?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I believe you are incorrect when you say that Streetcar's copyright has lapsed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
So isohunt sucks, will it work with private sites?? Also you say it will clean up your files for you. Well if its any decent torrent site you have to seed back. So how can it change the file name and still seed. I will have 2 copies of it on my pc?? Or what if it is in rar files?

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk /forum/post/18310005

I believe you are incorrect when you say that Streetcar's copyright has lapsed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think so either... taking a quick search, I don't think so.

Most of the time people post stuff like that to protect the website (this website) and keep mods from shutting them down... when a policy is in place not to link to such material or talk about it.

It would be easier to rent the movies... and much safer... torrents bring in a bunch of trouble, unless you configure them correctly (which most people don't). When I owned a computer repair business, I loved torrents since they brought me so much business... lol

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
I think he is trying to create an automated system which finds torrents, downloads them, becomes a seed for them, and uploads a list of items you downloaded directly to the feds.

Not sure though.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/18311059

I think he is trying to create an automated system which finds torrents, downloads them, becomes a seed for them, and uploads a list of items you downloaded directly to the feds.

Not sure though.

Priceless!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
why would you want to seed your whole collection anyways? what good would that do? How many public domain movies could there be and of those how many could you have? Beyond that it varies country by country and.. and...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@kapone -maybe in 1970. Welcome to the 21st century.

@TheMerck - thanks for the catch! I could have sworn I saw a reputable sources saying that StreetCar was no longer copyrighted. Either they changed their position - or it was a 5 am goof.

Anyway, I've uploaded another video with Night of the Living Dead which is not copy-righted. For wiki-sure.

@cybersage - rofl.... awesome comment.

@whiteboy714 - yep - infinitely customizable. I suspect this will lead to people being able to maintain good seeding ratios and not get kicked out of private trackers.

@all... cybersage was correct - with the caveat that uploading to the feds shouldn't be a problem since everyone will be downloading and uploading legal videos only.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Yeah....I forgot it's 2010.
Oh wait, we didn't have Internet bandwidth caps in the 1970s...but now we do. Let loose one of these things on your typical broadband network provider's network, and watch your bandwidth get screwed in a month or two. P2P traffic is EASILY identifiable on a network, and the moment they realize that you are uploading/downloading P2P traffic (legal or not, they don't know the difference), they will throttle your connection in a heartbeat.

Welcome to 2010

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/18311263

Oh wait, we didn't have Internet bandwidth caps in the 1970s...but now we do. Let loose one of these things on your typical broadband network provider's network, and watch your bandwidth get screwed in a month or two. P2P traffic is EASILY identifiable on a network, and the moment they realize that you are uploading/downloading P2P traffic (legal or not, they don't know the difference), they will throttle your connection in a heartbeat.

Welcome to 2010

Yea - the bandwidth restrictions blow.

Last month, I blew through Comcast's 250 GB limit last month with 800 GB download/ upload, which I didn't know about until I got a call from a "Policy Analyst."

Fortunately, he was lenient, and I immediately implemented a 100 GB cap on the two uTorrent clients I'm running.

I shudder to think about being an ATT, TimeWarner, or any of the other ISP"s that have implemented a low cap - followed up with a $1/ 1 GB penalty.

With no way of telling how much you've uploaded or downloaded....

If the ISP's are going to act like that, then I can't wait until they get more fully regulated like this.... Because I think their bandwidth caps are ridiculously low....actuals costs found here .

·
Registered
7,720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/18311263

Welcome to 2010

Um sorry but no, home connection maxed out 24-7 on various isp's for the last 5 years. Never had an issue. It can happen sure, easy to find out which ones do it.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/18311465

Um sorry but no, home connection maxed out 24-7 on various isp's for the last 5 years. Never had an issue. It can happen sure, easy to find out which ones do it.

It's sporadic right now, and I don't know if you're maxing the bandwidth by downloading videos (i.e. not P2P traffic), but it's not a question of if, it's a question of when. Money drives most things....and they want their share.
They don't give a flying %$ck what you upload/download...they just want their slice of your paycheck.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Look north to see your future. Up here, 50 GB/month caps (up + down) are the norm for the major cable and DSL providers. Like kapone says the providers want as big a piece as they can get of your monthly income.

BB

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
However, lemme add this as well. All this bandwidth cap stuff will ALSO die down. Internet bandwidth will become as ubiquitous in the not so distant future as phone bandwidth is today. I don't know how many of you remember paying literally $100-$125 a MONTH for phone service. Today? Hell, Magic Jack is $20 for the whole YEAR, with unlimited use.

Reason? Cable/Fiber/Transatlantic/Transpacific connections. They were very limited about 10 years back. Since then a ****load of dark fiber has been laid down across most continents. Based on typical usage today, and the amount of fiber that has been laid down, we're talking somewhere in the region of 10,000 times current capacity.
This whole bandwidth cap stuff will flare up, the providers will make a fair amount of money for a few years, and they will start realizing that they have way more unused bandwidth, and nobody's really gonna pay more for bandwidth, so they will start letting go of it in chunks. Because if they don't, somebody else will step in and start doing so.

As the line goes in the Matrix - "That's the sound of inevitibility...."

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
They threatened 100 on my isp. I sent a letter to the FCC. It didnt go far but I did get called by a VP of the company who probably wasnt too happy with me. I pay the higheset amount you can for my internet and its almost $180 for cable too. Thats a lot of money and I have used that company for like 8 years. I just told him how I felt and went off for about 20 minutes about net neutrality and caps and why its BS and how I know for a fact that they want caps so they can do a usage pay as you go thing on the internet. But I guess they changed minds and now said they NEVER said anything about caps and will never have a cap... well if I won for now then great. I use a lot of bandwith. I know I do. But I pay a crapload for it too. And I pay for 20 mbit service and I use mine 24 7 maxed out. Thats what I am paying for.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I just moved to wisconsin and now have Time Warner Roadrunner cable service. I paid an extra $10 a month for the premium speed (15Mb I think) and I constantly have torrents uploading at 100kB/sec and downloading at 1.7MB I have yet to encounter any sort of bandwidth cap or extra charges on my bill

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
20mbps maxed out 24/7

~= 200 GB/day or 6000 GB/mo worth of non-copyrighted material

BB

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Torrents are probably the dumbest way to obtain movies or television shows. I really do mean that.

One sniff from the MPAA/RIAA and you up ****s creek. They'll start you with a Cease and Desist letter and if you decide to go on from there, you will face a lawsuit that is inflated that the government allowed it to become that way..

I am sure there are plenty of other ways to get info/tv/movies.

Just don't do it.

If you are looking for public domain movies, PlayOn a DLNA server, has a plugin that streams them off the net, you don't even need to worry about downloading them, and the movies on that site are all public domain movies you don't need to worry about searching before you watch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts