7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, go to A Fistful Of Dollars *PIX* thread to have some idea to what the h*** are we talking about

When Universal studios started releasing Blu-ray transfers that equal or surpass HD DVD transfers this year I decided to concentrate on "A" catalog titles that hasn't been "lobotomized" by excessive use of DNR tools. Thinking that waxy, smeared transfers we saw last year is just an anomaly. Well I was wrong. The worst thing is they are doing these on very popular catalog titles. When The Cowboys was released earlier no one really cared if it looks like this:

or this:

DNR dialed at 11 leaving no traces of any fine detail or film grain.

But when a movie like TGTBATU gets the same treatment the uproar is definitely justifiable. The majority of the transfer has been DNR'ed. Its just so disappointing. Even if I am the worlds biggest Blu-ray fanboy or the head prima donnas of the format including people claiming to be "insiders", I can't think of an excuse to warrant this defective product. Of course it is still amusing how they explain the "how" and the "why" when the Dark Knight , Salo or Patton was released. Its humorous and at the same time so sad. Sometimes I wonder if they even know what their talking about or are they just marketing people hired to do damage control in the forums.

Like I said on other *PIX* threads everyone is welcome to prove us wrong. We "extremist" know what we are seeing. You have seen the screenshots posted much, much earlier than I did. You have read the early AVS members reviews that actually watched them.

Then again you can always fall back on that always works for you - "It's better than DVD"

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Ok, just about the opposite of FAFFOD. It's a real shame of a DNR treatment as has been pointed out by folks in the other thread.

S#%*, it really looks horrible!

Again, thanks for providing the pictures Xylon. They put all doubt to rest.

After fantastic job on The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951), Young Frankenstein, The French Connection 2 (1 is a whole different matter), The Pink Panther, Raginb Bull, Never Say Never Again, I tought FOX/MGM had got it and were really on the right track.

Oh well, Vanishing Point also looks quite bad with DNR and EE, but I hopped that would be an isolated incident.

ps: again first person to comment

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
1 - Some DNR, but far less than we've seen elsewhere.

2 - Lots of extra detail - quite a lot more than I'd expect to be available.

3 - Some grain, though less than I'd have expected.

Given the age, low budget, probable poor storage conditions, and the fact it was shot on a format with only half the resolution of normal 35mm, I think that's not too bad. Not perfect, but not to bad.

What I'm really looking out for, and it's probably not possible to tell on screencaps, is how even or uneven the grain is over the 3 hours.

Steve W

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like they DNR'd the DVD a couple of years ago and we didn't mind because at the time we thought they were removing EE on the earlier DVD release and making the image quality appear cleaner- but now Blu-Ray is showing us how horrible that process really is.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looks like the Blu-ray came from the same hi-def master as the "special edition" DVD cut, because both look terribly smoothed out. Only the sky in the DVD looks noisy (as I would expect), not to be mistaken as actually more grainy. This film originally had a lot of grain and so it must have been an early decision to remove it (even in the DVD stage). Too bad, as it ruins it for me since this film was one I knew when I was young. The coarseness of the original grain would've added to the feel of the picture too. This was definately not one to be smoothed over.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigVid /forum/post/16423754

Looks like the Blu-ray came from the same hi-def master as the "special edition" DVD cut, because both look terribly smoothed out.

I'm not sure. There's pretty bad EE on the DVD that isn't there on the BD - certainly not as much.

You may have felt the excessive grain added to the look, but Techniscope was not an artistic directoral decision, but a financial one.

Steve W

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker /forum/post/16423883

You may have felt the excessive grain added to the look, but Techniscope was not an artistic directoral decision, but a financial one.

And DNR is an artistic directoral decision?

They are not using DNR on this release because this is what Sergio Leone wanted it to look.

They are using DNR, because they think the mainstreem consumer sees grain as an artifact. And will generate less sales.

So in the end DNR is a financial decision.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker /forum/post/16423883

I'm not sure. There's pretty bad EE on the DVD that isn't there on the BD - certainly not as much.

Steve W

You call it excessive but i call it beautiful. The look of A Fistful Of Dollars is beautiful cinema. So now you are saying the grain on this type of film is excessive ? I thought you were anti DNR unless the film print had detiorated and needed some. ?

Many directors actually chose the look that Leone pioneered back in the sixties and you are saying it's all a finanical decision. No it's artistic.

I don't understand why you defend the use of DNR on this film.

Just say you are happy with your purchase and it's unfortunate they applied DNR but don't try and say the film needed DNR because the grain was too heavy as this film had a full and extensive restoration and looked beautiful. This was not an aged film print they used.

It no longer looks as beautiful on Blu Ray disc.

1 - 20 of 534 Posts